Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP - Adding a Second Skill Category to the Battle GUI

Hello there! This is my first post on the forum so nice to meet you all. :smile:

Quite a simple request I think, maybe...I was hoping that someone may have an idea how to modify such scripts as to add a second "Skill" option on the battle field. So I mean like...Attack, Skill, Some other Skill, Defend, Item. Defend isn't really in my interest so that could disappear if needs be.

Just to clarify, I'm using the ordinary battle system on RMXP. The second skill option I'd like would just involve normal skills such as the ones available on the "Skill" Menu, featured on the "Skills" tab on the Database along with the others but appear under the second Skill option.

If this is super easy for some of you helpful and willing geniuses browsing this thread, is it possible to have three categories with three seperate skill options on the menu? Like "Magic", "Physical" and "Conversion" or something?

Many thanks, I don't know if it means anything but if you think there may be an issue with additional scripts, I'm using KGC's Limit Break Script (implying values over 9999 etc...not FFVII Limits), RPG Advocate's Change Party Script, XRXS's Battleback Movement Script, Mimi's Battle Music, Mimi's Battleback Changer and SephirothSpawn's Encounter Control (with no SDK).

Thank you very much in advance! :thumb:

@Mongoosezxc Oh really? Ah I'm sorry about that...did you find any similar scripts? I'm clueless about this stuff. I agree though, something like that would be nice functioning!

As I said I'll have a look to see if I can get any functioning out of it myself later. :biggrin:

EDIT:

@gerrtunk Thanks once again. Yeah I suppose the v3 demo must be broken somehow as the v3 scripts work. I just added them to a clean game and they work okay with your code directly under the main acbs code and it does exactly what it was asked. I hope it works when I import it into my own game. :biggrin:

My only question at this point; is there any way to use the normal battler images instead of the character graphics for the enemies? I suppose then the battle system would be basically identical to the old one. I think personally I find it easier to import different enemies into the RPG that way.

Many thanks!

chair248":org3lmx7 said:
@Mongoosezxc Oh really? Ah I'm sorry about that...did you find any similar scripts? I'm clueless about this stuff. I agree though, something like that would be nice functioning!

As I said I'll have a look to see if I can get any functioning out of it myself later. :biggrin:

EDIT:

@gerrtunk Thanks once again. Yeah I suppose the v3 demo must be broken somehow as the v3 scripts work. I just added them to a clean game and they work okay with your code directly under the main acbs code and it does exactly what it was asked. I hope it works when I import it into my own game. :biggrin:

My only question at this point; is there any way to use the normal battler images instead of the character graphics for the enemies? I suppose then the battle system would be basically identical to the old one. I think personally I find it easier to import different enemies into the RPG that way.

Many thanks!

It is in the instructions:

2- When you import a classic static battler you must add a $ before the filename.
Example: Soldier.png --> $Soldier.png

You can use classic battlers for every battler(actor or not). Just add these $ to the name.

Ah thank you, okay it seems to be working now! So I assume I'll need to export and then re-import all of the battler images. One thing, the battle system seems to be working fine on a clean game apart from one thing; when an enemy is killed its image stays on the screen as if it's still alive, but non-selectable. Any ideas? :biggrin:

chair248":1kqyijo9 said:
Ah thank you, okay it seems to be working now! So I assume I'll need to export and then re-import all of the battler images. One thing, the battle system seems to be working fine on a clean game apart from one thing; when an enemy is killed its image stays on the screen as if it's still alive, but non-selectable. Any ideas? :biggrin:

Wow. I have tested it with my addon and without it and it gives the same problem. I will report atoa with this bug.

Uh maybe I won't be got back to, at least for a long time anyway...so does anyone else have any ideas how I could add a second skill category to the battle menu? Thanks! :biggrin:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.