Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [RM2k3]The Legend of Zelda: Courage, Power, and Wisdom v2.0

Dead content awaiting restoration.

How long did you play this game?

• Haven't Played

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Less than 2 Hours

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 3-4 Hours

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 5-6 Hours

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 7-8 Hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9-10 Hours

• 10+ Hours

• Total voters

Numb

teengamer":2a4p0air said:
I'm sorry, but the turn-based sorta ruins it. Get XP if you don't already have it and use Blizzard's custom fighting script. It works better.

@Teengamer

Everytime you post on a topic, you seem to be criticizing another person.
Really, some people like Rm2k3, some like RMXP, some like RMVX...
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone else dislikes it.
Tbh, I think this game looks great, it's one of the best Zelda fangames out there.

I really hate how people are complaining that it's turn-based. Really, has the next generation degenerated in such a fashion? It saddens me to hear these comments. Sure, Zelda is an action real time based combat game, but it doesn't mean he can twist it into something new. And being a RM2K3 user myself, I can easily say that the system for the maker does combine enough "real time" action to keep it a bit Zelda-y. Other than that, don't bash a game because it's RM2K3.

Now I'm going to go download it and give REAL reviews about it.

Edit: Also, the screen seems to blink on and off during the first intro. Don't know if it's my computer or the game itself.

Edit2: Nvm. Windowed mode fixed that. The game is pretty good thus far. :3

Alright. I have a couple of gripes about the beginning of the game.

One, the maps. It's hard for me to tell what exactly is unpassable and what is passable. I was confused for a bit, and kept running into the edge of the screen thinking I'll go on to another area, but instead I see I have to follow certain paths. To the average gamer, that can be frustration, so it would have been better to just put trees and fences at places to show where you can and cannot go.

Secondly, I didn't like the diagonal path you had to take in kakariko Village just to get to the Elder. It should fixed to be less trouble in walking up to his house.

Another pet peeve I had was not being able to check the papers that were on the desks in a couple of houses. It would have been nice to go up and click and have it say either "This is a piece of paper with some writing on it" or actually show what's on the paper.

And then, the combat itself. In the beginning of the game, combat shouldn't be so hard. What I mean by this is that it would have been nice to have some place to rest up and refil HP. It sucked that I only had one Red Potion to use before getting Game Over at the Mountain. There wasn't even a shop in the village to go and purchase one. This was by far my biggest letdown.

However, I liked both the combat and the AP growth system. I saw how you made the animations random whenever you attack, so it gave the player some visual variation of Link's swings, from horizontal slashes to multiple stabs. Very interesting. The AP growth system was by far the biggest achievement. It really did feel like I was building Link into whatever I want. However, though I didn't play very far, I wonder how you deal with the balance factor of "what if the player's strengths aren't powerful enough to take on enemies at certain parts of the game."

Overall, it's good. The presentation was nice, and I look forward to continuing it later.

Thanks for your comments and criticisms. It helps out. Btw, you can heal at your house at the bed, but I guess it wasn't clear. You can also heal at the inn for a price.

The game gets a lot better in everyway as the game continues if you'd be willing to give more time. i.e. the first dungeon doesn't compare at all to the later ones.

Thanks for the criticisms though, most of that is taken into account on the Mario fan game I'm doing right now If you want to check it out.

-Are you wisdom class by any chance?

Well,
Just started playing this and I must say, I am a fan! Didn't get very far b/c the yellow chu chus killed me. Only a few things I am not entirely pleased w/.
1. I wish there was a world map to see where I was at
2. A classic Zelda menu screen would have been better than the default menu system.

However, I actually really dig on the battle system. It suits this game quite well! There should be a way to gather skills from the other classes too though, with great difficulty. I also like the level up system. Well done!

Will edit this post the more I play through it. :thumb:

c-division":3m4t17oc said:
Thanks for your comments and criticisms. It helps out. Btw, you can heal at your house at the bed, but I guess it wasn't clear. You can also heal at the inn for a price.

The game gets a lot better in everyway as the game continues if you'd be willing to give more time. i.e. the first dungeon doesn't compare at all to the later ones.

Thanks for the criticisms though, most of that is taken into account on the Mario fan game I'm doing right now If you want to check it out.

-Are you wisdom class by any chance?
I picked up the game again last night and I must say, it was more enjoyable after I I found out that I can rest, shop, and rest at a nearby inn. But you're right in that there is no indication of that. It would be nice to know so players won't feel lost.

I chose the Wisdom class at first, but then during the tutorial of battle, I learned that the Courage class would be a better starting class, as Blue Magic is not an easy skill to use anyway. It would be another nice thing to where the player learns the benefits of each power at the beginning of the game instead of going to the first battle and learning then. I had to restart just to choose a different power.

Another thing I sort of didn't like was the experience curve. What I mean is, I got killed pretty easy in the first dungeon after the first few puzzles (which I must say were clever and awesome). Even with myself leveled up well, I still got killed due to lack of healing and potions. It really seems that I have to power level near the house before I tackle the mountain to stand even a chance. Now, I will say that the system is very hard to make for a game where only Link is the party member, though I see he gets a partner later on. It would have been better to make the enemies only 1-2 in number until he got the second party member, and then grow it some. At least in the first parts of the game. The first dungeon could also be used as a tutorial dungeon in that the player won't feel so overwhelmed, such as the Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time. Really, the only difficulty I had was with the monsters. There needs to be some way to make them less threatening because they really do a lot of damage. Maybe a starting HP increase?

Meanwhile, I played your Mario demo, and I must say, I'm anticipating its release. The theatrics and presentation are spot on and makes me only want to play the game some more. Whoever did the clever dialogue gets major points from me.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll try and give explanations for what you said.

Just started playing this and I must say, I am a fan! Didn't get very far b/c the yellow chu chus killed me.

Yeah, you go to that area later in the game, but it's accessible from the start for the heavy grinders (which there are a lot). However, there is a sign there that says to watch out for stronger monsters.

1. I wish there was a world map to see where I was at
2. A classic Zelda menu screen would have been better than the default menu system.

All this is true and it's the shortcomings of the game I suppose. This was my first Zelda fangame and I didn't add some key Zelda style things, but I tried to keep a Zelda feel to it.

However, I actually really dig on the battle system. It suits this game quite well! There should be a way to gather skills from the other classes too though, with great difficulty. I also like the level up system. Well done!

That's actually a pretty good idea and it would make the game more dynamic. I'll keep things like that in mind during future projects.

I chose the Wisdom class at first, but then during the tutorial of battle, I learned that the Courage class would be a better starting class, as Blue Magic is not an easy skill to use anyway. It would be another nice thing to where the player learns the benefits of each power at the beginning of the game instead of going to the first battle and learning then. I had to restart just to choose a different power.

That's true and people have commented on it. At first I wasn't going to have an explanation, but that didn't seem nice to the players, so I just decided to add it to the first battle. Note- learning Blue Magic skills in Wisdom isn;t like FF so that you need to be hit by the move to learn it. You learn most of the moves by fighting enemies, mostly side enemies. It actually ends being arguably the best class if you know how to use it (not to make you restart again :smile: ) However, all the classes are enjoyable in their own way so it's worth using any one you want.

Another thing I sort of didn't like was the experience curve. What I mean is, I got killed pretty easy in the first dungeon after the first few puzzles (which I must say were clever and awesome). Even with myself leveled up well, I still got killed due to lack of healing and potions. It really seems that I have to power level near the house before I tackle the mountain to stand even a chance. Now, I will say that the system is very hard to make for a game where only Link is the party member, though I see he gets a partner later on. It would have been better to make the enemies only 1-2 in number until he got the second party member, and then grow it some. At least in the first parts of the game. The first dungeon could also be used as a tutorial dungeon in that the player won't feel so overwhelmed, such as the Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time. Really, the only difficulty I had was with the monsters. There needs to be some way to make them less threatening because they really do a lot of damage. Maybe a starting HP increase?

You're one of the first to complain about it being difficult, but it could depend on starting off. In the beginning you'd want raise your attack mostly for the first few times (especially if your courage) so you do more damage. You always want to have potions too. People, actually kept complaining about the game being too easy which is why I even added to boss battle mode past the end of game for version 2.0 People were grinding their stats to the 400s-500s while you can beat the game with your stats in the 100s. It seemed pretty crazy to me. So to fix your issue you might have to grind a bit because the first dungeon's monsters are probably one of the most difficult in comparison to other dungeons. It levels out later. The first dungeon wasn't tutorial style because it's a fan game and I guess everyone already knew about Zelda. But the first dungeon is really bad compared to the other dungeons in terms of length, puzzles, style etc. The game improves a lot as you go on. (I keep saying that)

Meanwhile, I played your Mario demo, and I must say, I'm anticipating its release. The theatrics and presentation are spot on and makes me only want to play the game some more. Whoever did the clever dialogue gets major points from me.

Thanks. It's set to come out late summer. If you enjoyed to theatrics, presentation, dialouge, etc of the demo, there's a lot more where that came from. In fact, The enter first adventure was revamped to add more expressions, emotions of Mario and Luigi. It makes to demo look kind of stale in comparison to be honest. Anyway, you can head to my website for updates on Mario.

Another thing I want to note about the game (mind you, I'm enjoying thoroughly). First is when Link gets the Refurnished clothing from the shopkeeper in kakariko, it would be useful to tell the player that they should go to the Equipment and equip their new clothing. That way, it's a small tutorial to the player of how to equip and unequip stuff. I walked around for a while until I realized I had new equipment to wear. It reminds me of when I played Final Fantasy 1, and they didn't even start the game with the equipment on the characters. You had to go in there and equip it yourself. I was dying a lot until I realized that. >>

Also, here's a little tip for making teleporting spaces: when you teleport the player to the next room, put them a space or two away from the exit. That way, they won't have to walk forward, then back just to go back the way they came. Also, it's good to have teleporting spaces be a space or two from the edge of the screen. It's a design element that will make your players happier that they won't have to walk to the end of the screen just to go to the next area.

"This file is no longer available because of a claim by 4shared.com Support Team."

I love Zelda Games. Can this be made available for download please?

Great game but i need some ideas for my game Soviet Zombie: Untold Chapters

Hijacking another member's thread won't get you help. Quit it. ~Tindy

Alright, you need to go through posts and learn how to post before you just go and write that you need help with your game inside of someone else's post about their game. There is a section for that. Go through the forum first and make sure you read the rules.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.