Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Project:GRID

Project GRID - Full Game Out Now!

Jason

Awesome Bro

Okay everyone, so from now until Thursday at 9pm (Aside from Wednesday 12-4pm) I'll have quite a lot of free time, and in this time I intend to finish up Project GRID and have something that I can show off for judging etc.

So basically: Expect there to be a lot of updates and a new demo or two in this timeframe!

Time to get my work face on!

Jason

Awesome Bro

Update: A new challenger approaches!

tank%20preview%20ss.png

Dun Dun Dunnn! That's right, it's... A TANK!

These enemies will move slower than the regular cars, much slower, however, they have the advantage of a long range cannon, which can hit you even if the tank isn't on the screen with you! So you'll have to watch out for incoming attacks offscreen! The good thing is that they have a pretty long cooldown between shots, meaning you have time to get up close and unload a few round of lead at them... It may take a while though, since they have a whopping 120HP! (That's 6x more than cars), and if you are on the receiving end of a direct hit, it'll cost you 3HP, so you may want to take care of these as quick as you can!

---

Another small note:

I'm thinking of tweaking player and enemy HP, but not until I hear feedback from people first, since at the moment, the player has 8HP max, I'm thinking that, for the next demo, to increase it up to 10HP, meaning you can take 3 direct hits from a tank and still have 1HP left... I want to make the game challenging, but giving too much health sort of defeats the purpose of a challenge, whereas too little health makes it TOO hard, here are the current damages and HP:

Player---
Max HP: 8
Max damage: 10 x Bullet(1)*

Enemy Car---
Max HP: 20
Max damage: 1

Tank---
Max HP: 120
Max damage: 3 (Direct Hit)

*Each bullet does 1 damage, and each burst fires 10 at a time.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Yeah lol, I just haven't got around to fixing it just yet, since it's nothing serious, but I'll try and have it fixed by the time the full game is released.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Another quick update: I can now reveal the logo!

Project%20GRID%20Logo%20Thread%20Size.png

(Big thanks to RadethDart for designing it!)

It's actually been done for a few days now, but I didn't want to show it off just yet, however, it's finally been implemented into the game so I felt it'd be good idea to show it to everyone.

I think it's just me, but I think that this is getting to be a serious game. You are doing a good job so far!
You can maybe decide whether to increase the player HP or not by making a demo to test if the new changes in HP are good or bad.
The tank idea overall is fair, it is difficult enough for you to be careful, and it sort of gives you confidence
to attack them because of their cooldown systems.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Update: Tuna is a god!

Basically, since he's been helping me along with this, we thought up some cool ideas last night for a new weapon, some new sound effects and other misc. agendas, and I didn't think we'd be implementing them until he logged on later today or something (Until then I'd be working on the menu(s) and sprites, but I've just opened the project through our dropbox, and like a boss he's added everything in already! That's some major progress right there!

Basically here's a list of what's been added overnight:

- Tanks are now fully functional, they will shoot the player from afar, and can also hit enemy cars with their attacks (If you've got a few cars on you it's a great idea to keep the tank alive to thin out their numbers and make it an easier approach)
- The health has been changed into a health bar depicted by an image
- Landmines have now been added into the game as power ups that spawn around the map(If a tank drives over one, it will disable it temporarily, allowing you to get a few bursts in, it's very handy!)
- The controls have changed slightly (It's S to shoot now, and A will be for secondary attack, D is still drift toggle)
- More sound effects have been added
- More particles have been added, we now have fire too

A big big big thankyou needs to go out to Tuna for the help he's given me, and I'd appreciate if you guys could thank him too! :thumb:

---

In other news: My decision on the demo - Survival only.

Due to constraints in events, sadly I won't be able to add a "story mode" (With levels etc.) into the contest build, so I've decided I WILL be sticking to just the survival mode, however, if I do receieve a key, I'll be working on the story mode too and have two options in the menu.

This doesn't mean that I'll be half-arsing the contest build, as you may know me and Tuna have actually been putting a ton of work into this, and I think you'll be able to see just how far the game has come once the next demo is released!

Jason

Awesome Bro

News: Thread update in progress

new%20look%20screenshot%2021.png

(And a complimentary screenshot...)

---

Okay, so I've realised at this point, that a lot of the information in the main post is outdated, and I've decided to update it to be in line with the current features of the game and such... I'll be starting on it right now, and I'll be working one section at a time, so if any information vanishes you'll know why.

Sorry I don't have anything more exciting to announce just yet, but the next demo will definitely be worth the wait!

Jason

Awesome Bro

Update: Demo v1.04C is here!

It's finally here! You can now play the latest version of the game that I've been talking about over the last couple of days! You'll notice the following things during your playthrough (Taken straight from a few posts above):

- Tanks are now fully functional, they will shoot the player from afar, and can also hit enemy cars with their attacks (If you've got a few cars on you it's a great idea to keep the tank alive to thin out their numbers and make it an easier approach)
- The health has been changed into a health bar depicted by an image
- Landmines have now been added into the game as power ups that spawn around the map(If a tank drives over one, it will disable it temporarily, allowing you to get a few bursts in, it's very handy!)
- The controls have changed slightly (It's S to shoot now, and A will be for secondary attack, D is still drift toggle)
- More sound effects have been added
- More particles have been added, we now have fire too

Along with, what I think is more noticeable in the screenshots, the new sprites for the player and enemy cars, along with the newly added tank!

---

I'm not going to be asking you to fill a form in since this is almost finished now anyway, however, I'd love your opinion on it again, what you liked, what you disliked etc. and if you think it's challenging enough and so on.

---

You'll also notice that I've redone the main post, I've brought it up to date, and added a back story to the game, which acts as the introduction to the story mode that was/is/maybe planned (But later on ofcourse...), it's cheesy, but hey you can't say the game doesn't have a story!

Also, one last thing:

I need YOUR screenshots!

I thought it'd be cool if you guys gave me some screenshots, the best ones will be featured under a new section I'll be adding sometime tomorrow. You might think I'm being lazy, not adding my own, but I assure you I'll be adding them myself too, I just thought it'd be a change to show the rest of the community some of your most "Holy shit it's so hectic!" or "There's NO WAY I'm still alive!" screenshots... there may even be a prize in the final game for the person with the best screenshot(s)!

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Try to be creative with your screenshots!

smileygrid.png

Nothing really going on in this one. It's supposed to be a smiley face! :cute:

Here's mine. Hope it's good enough.
xgh0d0.png

Oh, I noticed there's more delay for the background music to play. It may be because there's more audio files to process, but it only happened for the first time I played the new version, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Thanks for the screenshot!

How long was the delay for you by the way? I know it'll be longer since there's more files like you've said... and also, after your first time playing it, does it load faster the second time? I mean, for me the sound plays straight away but that's because I've played it tons of times to check for any bugs in the released version(s), there's only a few that I doubt many of you will even notice unless you look really hard, and then there's some which are obvious, such as being able to shoot while the game is paused (Well, it doesn't shoot, but it spawns the bullets... and they shoot off when you unpause) that will hopefully be fixed in time (But again, nothing major...)

Has anyone else been playing the new demo? What are your opinions?

Pretty fast load there, nice minimalistic style, reminded me of lofi simple GTA, can see lots of potential, loved tricking the tank to shoot enemies cars, the tank seem invincible however, shoot it plenty of time both with landmines and bullets and it never died, max score was 321 so far :smile:

Jason

Awesome Bro

Thanks for playing! And the tank isn't invincible, it just has quite a lot of health, 120HP to be precise, and mines do 10HP, whereas bullets do 1HP each so it could take you a while to get it down, lol.

Also note (For everyone)---

In the demo, enemy cars or tanks don't respawn, this was a late decision that was actually made by Tuna after the demo was first uploaded (I changed it quickly before anyone would notice, lol), since we're still messing around with spawn times for the enemies, and tweaking the tank, although it should generally be around the 30-60 second mark for cars, and 60-90 seconds for tanks once all is said and done.

Don't forget too: Show us your screenshots!

yoho, you know what this needs?
screaming bonuses that fly through the screen.

like when you've hit marks: 20 people killed, 50 killed, etc.
words like KILLING SPREE that flash over the screen

A dude shouting that with a lot of echo on it

Jason

Awesome Bro

Haha yeah that's actually a pretty cool idea, we did discuss giving bonuses for milestone kills, like getting to 100, 250, 500, 1000 and so on, and now I can just hear the guy from Unreal Tournament shouting all the spree's, lol :tongue:

The game look awesome! graphics are nice I enjoyed playing as the white bar more than the car tho for some reason..lol

anyways The graphics are quite nice the animations and the controls are real smooth the games pretty fun I enjoyed making the tank blow up the other cars lol

The Drift control was a very nice touch btw; keep it up the projects looking good :]]

Jason

Awesome Bro

Thanks for the feedback Black_Vamp!

To be honest with you, I quite liked the white bar more than an actual car too, not sure what it was, but it was always meant to be a placeholder for something else, maybe when I can get a full release after the contest I'll add an option to change the skin of the car, lol.

Also, if you liked the tank, you'll love the new enemy I have in development, hopefully I'll be able to add it either today or tomorrow, along with another two power ups, one of which will be a health pick up which I think will be really helpful, although they're going to be sparse, and I haven't decided how much health they'll heal just yet :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.