Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Post What's on Your Mind

Opened up my laptop to see what it's like after about 2 years for maintenance. I was expecting more dust and cat hair inside. I cracked the plastic in one spot above the disk tray, oh well...other than that, it's a lot easier to take apart than my last laptop.
I've got an open Ram and NVMe slot I decided to utilize. I'm probably just throwing my money away.

DJ

Some guy that did RMXP before

I've been doing file / bookmark organization and a bit of cleanup today.

And I just remembered this site after seeing it my bookmark (which admittedly I don't really even use anymore ). I had two IDs, one which got banned and the other one i made later that i actually used in some meaningful way to post bunch of stuff i made.

Also realized that both had really outdated passwords that's probably compromised and leaked years and years ago. I didn't really bother changing the one that was banned, Because to say what was in it was pure cringe would be an understatement. ( Not that it's going to have anything that's important to me anyways. )

But man, It's all coming back to me right now. I started using RPG Maker around 2007. I was this little kid, excited and eager to "Make my own video game" while having no skills or knowledge. I mean, what do you expect from a boy in his early teen.

Also i was pretty adamant on using RPG Maker XP over any of the new series. I remember VX/VX Ace was a huge deal back then, But the biggest reason i didn't use them was because of the 3-layered map editor that, as far as i remember, only RPG Maker XP had them. But eventually the last time i really did -anything- with RPG Maker was probably around 2013~2014.

SInce then i moved onto Unity, or just pure codes - Mostly C#, But to be honest after bashing my brain at programming for almost, hmm - 14~15 years now I became a bit more flexible when it comes to what to use. Last year I had to make a very sophisticated / proprietary Python Library. I also touched a lot of C++ (If needed, to be honest) here and there, First it was the old 2003 version of MFC, Later it was some scripting in Qt and perhaps a bit of TCP/UDP Socket programming.

Looking back now, I remember the kid me going "Why isn't RPG Maker Multi-threaded! REEE! It always lags like s**t! I can't make awesome stuff!" and it's so funny, Because now I've actually wrote few numbers of multi-thread or multi-process (with some form of IPC) codes, and know that throwing more processing power at something isn't always the right answer.

I also remember that I was really pissy about people who was using the RGSSAD Decryptor that pretty much lets someone "extract" the RMXP built games and pretty much steal the project. So pissed at that that time, to the point where i somehow made up a double-encryption for my games that you can't actually crack it, unless you had both keys and both tools. But i digress.

Now that was a long personal lore and could have been quite boring to read. Also as you can notice from my profile pic, I somehow became a furry in the middle. I previously made 2D artworks and commissions, But in recent 2 years - after a lot of learning and practice i finally moved onto making somewhat decent quality 3D models (the profile pic is also the rendering of my own model). It's something i wanted to do ever since i had any intent of doing game dev. Probably if 15 year old me can watch what i made now that young boy will lose his mind!

But in more relevant context - I'm currently employed full time on software development. Sadly it's not the video game dev job i wanted, But for one thing the required skillset is pretty much the same. Going to be releasing a patent for my software soon. Hopefully that goes well, So the project can move onto next greater step.

Well i don't know if anyone bothers to read this whole wall of text, But that's what was on my mind, really.

P.S : My grammar and general skill in English is better now, But my brain still farts a little bit and makes small mistakes here and there when i write something very long or heart-to-heart. Oops.

My parents bought me a really nice copy of Lord of the Rings for Christmas. Trouble is, it's just one of a set and now I want the set. But they're like £50 a book if you're lucky:

0.jpg

Got a lot planned for the new year; look into getting out of Retail, finally get a passport, a credit card, etc. I recently moved, and for the first time by myself, and the experience was eye-opening and I didn't like it, lol.

Also been toying with using some free art assets to make some free short games -- taking inspiration from what Ellie's been doing lately, really.

So I've uh, been on HRT for 200 days as of yesterday.
Heeeey, congratulations! Can't believe it's been that long!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.