Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

New Particle Engine

arev

Sponsor

New Particle Engine

Another particle engine for you :)
What's new compared to previous ones? The particles are displayed inside the Spriteset_Map, so the particles aren't displayed over everything else anymore. The "Z" of particles is based on the "Z" of an event they're displayed at ("always on top" affects particles). Also the soordinates of the particles may be (and are) decimals, so they're movement is much smoother.
The hard part is that most of the effects are created with some math ;)
The demo contains some examples so you can edit them to get new ones.

Place the script above "Main" to install it. Other instructions are in the demo game.

Screenshot:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/downloads//npe_Dg9.jpg[/img]

Demo is in the download Manager

And at these mirrors:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3ZCFD7E5
http://rapidshare.com/files/70278768/New_Particle_Engine.exe.html
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a137d0/

Credits to me for the script and PinkMan/Sylver for some particle sprites.

Hi
I copied the script from the demo and also the mage on this screenshot but that event is never surrounded by all those lights...
I thought I needed to change the event id. Nothing changed after I entered the correct event id...

arev

Sponsor

Are you using some other scripts maybe? Are other effects working? If so, double check the IDs please. Maybe try to set them to -1 to see if the particles will be displayed over the player. If no, send me a demo if you can, I'll take a look.

How did you make Decimals coordinates??
there are no pixels 1.5, 2.3; it'll be (1,2), or (2,2) or (2,3) or (1,3)
So I'm pretty curious about that!

EDIT,
Ok so yeah, basically it's just because the software is doing the rounding itself at the very end lol...

arev

Sponsor

There's a different variable (array of two) holding the decimal coordinates. Then, based on these new sprite coordinates are set as whole pixels. The prticle isn't actually displayed on pixel 1.5, but to get from 1 to 2 it takes 2 frames (or 20, or as many as you like), which gives pretty similar effects. Not much more we can do with it in RMXP ;)

Well the particles floating around the hero and the event are working fine but only if I'm pressing the button you specified...
I changed the event id in the mage event to make sure it would work, but he is just standing there like an idiot...
I don't understand what happened.

arev

Sponsor

I'm afraid I don't either. Please, send me a demo project of what you made via PM. I'll try to solve it.

And thanks for the comments, guys. I'm glad you like it ;)

OS

Sponsor

Can you just post the script, please? The demo won't dl for me (the DLM has been mean to me for a long time.)

OS

Sponsor

Thank you very much! This is simply exquisite! I love the simplicity, as well. It is in a way like RMXP itself; with a little work you can make something pretty, but going the extra mile can produce many great things!

I'm using this for sure in my next game!

This is the best thing I've ever seen in my life.

Yes, my life is fairly boring. But this is still awesome!

It's addictive to make flame-bubbles pop out of the running clown for some reason o_o. Must ... keep ... Pressing ... A ...

arev

Sponsor

Lovely arethese comments of yours :D Thank you all.
Sir Lord Biowulve, I'm pretty sure an effect like this can be achieved. It'd just take some experimenting ^^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.