Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Needed system: Sanity HUD and Random monster system

Cait

I've decided to go back to one of my earlier games, somewhat like a "Survival Horror" but you don't really battle anything. What the system is going to be is that you walk into a room, there's a certain chance that one of two things may or may not be in there. A little girl, who chases you and a creature, who attacks you to the point you have to escape/hiding away. The stress will cause your character to walk slower, if the creature hits you; not only will your stress go up, but your life will decrease. I've thought about this, so these are the kind of parts I'll need. I figure the more stress you are under the more that it will affect your sanity.. so to speak.

Each time you enter room, there is a chance that one of two creatures will be in there room, but only ONE of will appear. Although, there will be rooms, that will be safe, and those will be pretty rare. There is a creature who is hunting you down, this creature attacks you and will do anything to stop you from heading deeper into the house. When it sees you, it will chase you down, in order to escape it, you must hid in something.. like a certain type of spot (dark hidden space) for about 30 to 45 seconds, it will leave soon afterwards.

Enemy X = Monster = Sees you will rush straight at you, will cause your stress to go up a lot. You can only escape said monster by hiding or running into a save point. At this time, I would like it to follow you, but I'm certain that this isn't possible with a RPG Maker game. (._.) So I am aware that you could just run through another door. However, if someone had a way of it following you into the next room, without two of them following the main character.. I'd be happy.

Girl = A spirit, she sees you, she will head straight for you, but with her, you can just leave the room. She will increase the stress, but not as much, only by a little bit.

STRESS: I would like a meter or a HUD that had your stress limit on the screen, you have a limit, the higher your stress is, I would like that your character goes slower. To move slower, with the creature chasing you, would mean certain doom and even the girl can kill you if you are overly stressed out. I would like a way of decreasing the stress like if you are hiding, it will decrease your stress by a certain amount of points or you eating chocolate or drinking some water, or something.

I don't know what being over stressed would do to a person, but it might lower your HP a bit, if you character is in the red and runs into either, the girl or the monster. If you lost all your HP, that would leave to a game over and you dying.
NOTE: I did try this with events and variables, but the creature appeared; even when it wasn't supposed to. I hope someone could do this with a script. I would also like a way of have a forced encounter for a story related point. (o_o) I don't know how hard this is, but I thought of everything how to do this, and baffled...

Cait

*BUMP*
I've made quite a bit of process in that I finally got a VARIABLE HUD and something that allows me to have better AI for the creatures. But the one thing I still have, yet, to figure out how to do is. The random monster appearance (I'm still stuck on the hiding place and having the monster move on after 30 seconds, after and only if it appears) These are the parts I wouldn't mind if someone gave me some help with, I don't necessarily need a script (though, one would likely be a great deal of help and a little easier).
You enter a room, each room has a certain % or chance that one or two things will be there. Each time monster attacks you, your fear level will increase 5 or 10 points and when you meter is full, if it touches you again, you will lose SANITY, up to 1% or even 2% of your sanity. If those are both max and depleted, you will lose equal HP.

Monsters - (A girl and a creature) Both scare you, only the little girl less so and the monster will give chase. I want them to randomly appear by means of percentage. You walk into the room and monster appears. I've solved quite a bit myself, but I honestly don't know how to do this without a script. I've tried variables, you know the whole (only appear at this # and it appears whenever it wants) (>_<) Gee. (o_o) But I've gotten so much done, this is the last bit of the system and then, I can begin on scripting the game and creating puzzles. I've wanted to do this game for awhile and the system with VX Ace is so much better. Thank you for reading this and hopefully someone will help. I want to get this done, in about a couple of months time.

Scripts I am using:
YAMI's Anti-Lag
Khas Awesome light effects
Wyrelade SImple Mainmenu
Mog even Sensor range
Nicke XS - Variable Hud

REASON: (#o_o#) I used the wrong word, well, almost like always. Not the first and not the last time.

Did you use the debug to see if the variable that determines what monster will spawn is correct? I've noticed strangely that some game variables change value on their own, possibly by some scripts.

As for the the monster moving on after 30 seconds of hiding, you could use a switch and call it hiding, so that when hiding = on, the monster searches or waits for you. And another switch called monster aware, so that when monster aware = on, he will wait for you to come out of hiding or run at you when hiding = off. When monster aware is off he will just wonder away or randomly. Finally a variable called wait time to record how many frames it has been waiting. (You can name the switches and variables whatever you like).

You can make a parallel process event page (so that the player can move while this event page is active) with the condition of monster aware = on and hiding = on, and in that page have a loop event that looks like this:

wait time variable = 0
loop
@conditional branch if hiding = off
@@break loop
@conditional branch if monster aware = off
@@break loop
@wait 1 frame (to prevent the game from freezing)
@wait time = +1
@conditional branch if wait time greater than or equal to 600 (which is 30 seconds worth of frames)
@@monster aware = off

When monster aware is not on, a new event page should have it walk randomly or whatever else you want it to do, but you should make sure that page is before the page with the loop. And when monster aware is on but hiding is off, a new event page should have it walk towards the player, but that page should be before the page with the loop but after the page where it just walks randomly.

This is how I would do it anyway. I hope that helps.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.