Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

LUNAR:Dragon Song-remake

Project isn't dead! just letting everyone know! I've restarted 3 times with different ideas as far as game design goes. I've touched up on my details and have a strict format now, rather than what just looked good at the moment. If you want to help out with this project check out the Recruiting section for info and send me a PM. :)

The reason why I'm posting today is to well... Let you know this is still going on, Ask for help. So help? ^_^ and see what people think about an idea. I've been wondering because my maps are isometric, it will be easy for the character to let lost behind stuff. So should I make the character semi-transparent when behind a tall object? or just normal?? Here is a couple of snap shots of what I'm talking about. Sorry for the use of the default hero.
Normal hidden behind stuff.
Hidden1.png

Semi-swee..transparent.
Hidden2.png

I figure this might help the player not get so lost? Should the tree be more transparent? How about, should everything that might hid the character be transparent? What about onscreen enemies? Let me know so I can continue. :D

Oh my god your maps are some of the most beautifully done maps I have ever seen. Not many isometric games look very good but this changes everything! Keep up the good work.

Also, the transparent tree thing is fine. When the player will pass through behind it, he/she will notice because there will be that orange blur. To be honest though, I don't know how you can get lost behind a tree.

Great isometric work, you have hid the grid so well that you can't even tell what size of grid you use. So this art is original? I seem to remember you showing screen shots of bigger versions of the buildings and you are remaking them from scratch or something like that.

So far, what you've shown does look really good. But then, I was rather fond of the PS1 versions of the Lunar games they put out for it, so I may be a bit biased. ^_^;;

Also, I'm guessing that the default hero used in the recent shots is a placeholder 'til you get a Lunar sprite going?

I really, really, really did not like the original game. And i LOVE Lunar. The sega CD originals are fantastic, as are their playstation remakes.

But this looks AMAZING. I never say that about an RM game. But this looks like you've put amazing amounts of effort into it. And thank you lord god above for the words 'traditional lunar battle system'. For that, I could love you

Edit: No idea i was semi-necroposting. I just clicked on the ol 'new posts' button and saw this, didnt even read the other post dates till I saw the one above. My bad.

Wow! Neat little surprise to see today! Thanks Gubid for taking an interest in my project! To answer your question, yes I'm still working on it. It's kinda a bunch of mess at the moment. It's been back and forth between rmxp and vx. So it's gone through some changes. There really isn't anything game wise because of this. I've just been working on the graphics(ripping, editing, original) and basic layouts. I'm kinda waiting for Express Game Maker as that seems like the program that will allow me to get free player movement isometric maps. Right now it's down to a point and click system for towns/isometric maps and only dungeons are top down. I wanna get away from the point and click as It kinda takes away from the isometric feeling. So thanks again for looking into this! It means a lot!

Here are some pictures I'm sure I've posted someplace... just not here. Of course these have changed a little bit and are not finished.
Guystole2.png

Perit_Village_Early2.png

OribitDuke-
I hated the original game! I went out and got a DS just for it! Have you played the new one for psp? I really like it but it feels like it's lost the magic somewhere? It's really odd but I'll take it. But yeah the Sega CD games are awesome! The music was above and beyond!

I'm still looking into a traditional lunar battle system. Right now the idea I'm looking for is a more tactical battle system but side view? Basically you just get more control. Lunar's system always felt like an auto tactical system.

If your post was necroposting, even more thank you!

moxie

Sponsor

add another person to the "loved the hell out of Lunar, and hated Dragon Song" list. looks pretty nice so far. all i can offer is generic encouragement, but good luck. :)

I realize that this topic hasn't seen much activity lately, but I was wondering if anyone had Sadrin's isometric tileset? In particular I'm most interested in the houses. I am building a game and the houses would fit right in with my scenery.

I would have simply downloaded the original image myself, but the FBI has long since shut down megaupload's original website (the only known location the original 2.6 MB image resided.

So, if anyone has the original image, or even better, has or knows where I can find the isometric houses, please give me a reply.

Thanks <3

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.