Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Keyboard-Controlled Name Input Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, no matter if I hit shift or caps lock, I can't seem to get uppercase letters, and I copied the scripts verbatim. Advice?

My only guess'd be that you have another keyboard than the norm US- or German-ones, because it apparently works on those. I can also confirm it works with laptop keyboards perfectly, as I'm using one myself. I don't think this is a fault of my script, you only might've deletes the shift-asking conditional... which is rather unlikely, if you haven't changed the script intentionally... conclusion: I have no idea ^_^

It's a standard US keyboard on a laptop, and I haven't changed anything in the script. Let me try it in a new project maybe?

*EDIT* Works in a new project, and I tried re-copying and pasting the code, but still no go. Does this work with different fonts and CMS'?

Fonts and CMS' shouldn't be the problem... well, of course, if you have a lowercase-only font, that'd be your reason... ^_^ I seriously have no idea what script could've caused this, because I'd say you need to modify Input.downcase / Input.upcase definitions to get to the problem you have, which are hidden classes and absolutely pointless to change... as it appears to surely be a scripting problem, though, you might post a list of what scripts you have applied to your project and I'll see what I can guess from that...

That makes no sense to me... I used Input.press? to check if the key is pressed ATM the letter is returned, to make it work like the default PC/MAC/whatever shift key... I can't see how Input.trigger? could have the same effect. You also used the default Input methods, not the cybersam-ones (triggered?, pressed?), was that intentionally?

Found it, I had a different Input module in there still from an old ABS, so I guess you can put a note or something that it is not compatible with Input Script 2.0 by Cybersam, edited by Astro_mech and Mr. Mo.

Thanks for the help though!

Ok, this is weird. I put the scripts in their proper places, but when I bring my game window up, the first thing it does is show different window with the following:

????? 'Name_Input' ? 8 ??? Typeerror ????????

undefined superclass ` Window_Base'

I click on 'OK', then the error and game windows both close out. Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, you're most likely using an illegal version... but because I'm not sure: Try the script in a new project and tell me what happens...

Hey there, Blue! Sorry to necropost, but I need you to make this script compatable with at least 14 characters, as a special system is used in my game that needs that much. Thanks for understanding and I hope you can fix it. :3

I can't imagine a name-based system nor a 14-lettered name, nor is this a very friendly kind to request ;), but I'm working on other scripts ATM... mainly my language script. I'll see what I can do for you if I have the time, though.

EDIT: Done XD Ask next time or I'll script ya blind ;)

Well, I'm pretty sure it works, as I tested it... maybe you use X and C instead of Esc and Enter/Space, and exchanged them, so you accidentially pressed X instead, and therefore left the name enter screen without a change being noticed. I can't imagine anything else, so if it wasn't that, please tell me what you did...

I know it's been a couple of months since the last reply, but I have a question. If the player can choose any name they want, how do I make it so that when NPCs mention the main character's name, it's the name the player chose. I assume there is some call script event or something to be put into the text box.

There indeed is one, though it depends on the message system you use... it should be something like \n[actor_id] for the default system coming with RMXP, though I'm not sure about it...

Well it worked fine...why is the Box belated in typing? when type the box isn't in the Correct place where the letter is inputted in the screen? and why can't i enter alphanumerical numbers and letters? like ? - *123456789 and other symbols and signs...

For the most of your post, I don't know what you're talking about... but for the numerical values and numbers: Those aren't included, for the simple reason that it'd mean more work for me for a technically unneeded feature, as names usually don't have numbers or symbols in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.