Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ideas/suggestions for a new CBS

Hi everybody!

Before I start, I would like to make things clear. I'm neither requesting nor taking request. I'm starting this thread to gather ideas for a new CBS for RPGVX.
I'm doing this because I'm not satisfied with the currently available battle systems and I've decided to make my own one based on your ideas, suggestions and opinions.

So, I'd like to know, what you would like to see in this CBS? What would be cool and/or useful, what do you like the most in a CBS, etc.
Note that I will not make an ABS, TBS or anything of the like. I want this battle system to be as compatible as possible with any other VX scripts.
Remember that it's for RPGVX ONLY!

For those who don't know what ABS and TBS means:
- ABS: Action Battle System (Zelda, Secret of Mana, ...)
- TBS: Tactical Battle System (FF Tactic, ...)

Go ahead, say everything you have in mind!  :thumb:
Thanks in advance!
-Dargor

ikos

Well the crap answer will be "ZOMFH AKSHUN BATTUHL LIEK IN DA EFF EFF GEIMS".
I don't think this might clash with many systems, but I would like to see the Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Digital Devil Saga Battle System done.

For those who don't know about it, about it, I'll explain in detail.
Similar to the default system,  there is a player-phase where players assign their moves. However, rather than assigning, then having all participants do their things, actors act immediately after their action is assigned.
IE: Actor1: Attack- (Actor1 attacks) Actor 2: Fireball (Actor2 casts Fireball). This applies to both actor and enemy parties.

As well as that, for every partisipant on each side, the side is given 1AP. (So if there are 3 actors and 4 enemies, actors have 3AP and enemies have 4AP). Standard actions (attacks, items, skills, etc) consume 1AP. While passing a turn, effective elemental hits and critical physical hits only consume half an AP. However, if the actor should miss or deal an ineffective elemental hit, 2AP is consumed rather than 1AP. And I think if the element is nullified or absorbed, all AP is consumed This is then applied to the enemies and so on. And I think Boss monsters are given 2AP rather than the standard 1AP.

I hope that made sense to anyone other than me. ¬¬
If ANYONE has enough effort to do this, it'll probably yo multiply the costs by 2, so you don't have to deal with fractions (like 1/2 an AP).

Good to see you doing this Dargor, good luck with this CBS.
Just some idea that I can give out (probably old but hope so its implemented):
  - Side view if possible?
  - Errm adding state extension like Takentai SBS, to create auto-life, regen, reflect, protect and etc, Oh we need the skill DOOM (countdown toward death)
  - The cut-in skill would be good (show graphic on skill use)
  - Not sure errr skill extension (more damage on second attack or err more multiple attack like target 3 or more enemies)

I'm not sure about others but yea that's what I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: Probably like your FF6 SDK?? You know battle algorithm this and that...

@ikos
Never heard of that game but the main system seams interesting.

@Shin!
Yes, I like the idea of not having a "standard" view like front or side view.

@Fayte
I've never played Grandia but this CBS looks damn great. I'll try to get my hands on it ASAP.
I especially like the skills with area effect.

@Azuaya
Yes, I will expend the effects of skills/states/attacks, etc.
I will also improve the targeting system.

I was also wondering, if I make animated battlers, what kind of graphics would you use? RTP, rips, original sprites?

How about the Atelier Iris 3 Battle System?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lKEi_Uhgo

At it's base, it's basically sideview animated battlers. But it has a few other things that make it interesting.

The first would be the turn order. Depending on what action you take or what skill you use, you get send back on the turn order by different amounts.

The second being the Skill Gauge. The skill gauge has 9 charges. It's a pooled value that the entire party uses when using skills. You can build up the skill gauge by attacking. Skills take away different amount of skill points. Usually anywhere from 1-4

The third is the burst gauge. When you attack and use skills, that gauge builds up, and when it fills, all enemies are inflicted with break status, which lowers their stats and freezes them on the turn order for a bit, the skill gauge is maxed out, and all skills do far more damage that they do outside of burst mode. The full burst gauge will decrease turn by turn, till it empties and burst mode is ended.

Oh wow.

Dargor this is a great idea! But I think all the ideas people have will be hard to merge together, but if anyone can do it you can do it!

On to the actual topic..

I always loved one thing about FFX-2's monster part in their battle system, whenever you kill a certain amount of the same species the very next monster of that species that you encounter would be much harder, and it's stats and loot value would increase by a LOT. Of course you would have to define all of that yourself in some sort of hash/array mixup, which probably has nothing to do with a battle system and it gave me an idea for my NEXT goal.. ahah

But I always liked the FFX-2 battle system. I mean the part where when you choose to attack, you attack. Even if someone else comes to attack you you still attack them. It's basically like the Grandia battle system you've seen earlier but without the bars that show how long you have to attack in that turn, and minus the combos. Although adding combos would be a bonus..

I'll post more later if I have more ideas.. but I would like to say good luck to you Dargor and thanks for the help!
-Krobe

Dargor, ever play that Mario Bros RPG?  In the battle system, you fought the creatures but jumping in time before they hit you and when you fell on them you damaged them.  I think there were also combo moves with Luigi and stuff but I don't remember so well.
Wiki link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_%26_Luigi:_Superstar_Saga#Gameplay

Pretty much, the idea here is real-time battle where if you do nothing you just get hit and eventually die.  Maybe if you press keys to dodge and attack, is how I'm thinking it'd work.  How more to go about this I'm not sure.

Luxil

Yes yes, a good idea could be Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga!

It's a normal battle system but it has twin actions (two players that use a combined attack) and action commands!
When you try to attack an enemy you must press a button in the right moment to deal more damage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGpKrcuJyf8

this game is pretty amazing and the best GBA game to date.

A sequel to the DS was made but it's not great as his precedessor!

Ah you can also dodge attacks by jumping, using hammer etc!

@Dargor:
I'd rather use the RTP or character sprite sheets. Since people don't have to put a lot of effort into finding or make those Minkoff sprite battlers or rips. It would be lovely to see your CBS compatible with many other battle add-on scripts.

Good luck with the CBS beast!

Fayte":jawalqnw said:
I've always wanted to see an RM game with a Grandia battle system
I think this one is the best so far. You could probubly set it up almost like an ABS but with events on the map that when you touch you get teleported to another map (The battle field) and ABS is turned on. Then all you need to do is make it so that the ABS is in turns and then you could even make it so a persons turn comes up and they can do as many attacks as they can do in a set amout of time. Just an Idea on how you could set it up. =D

I certainly like the Granadia system.  It reminds me of the FFX-2 battle system a little.  Something like that would be awesome.  Either way, I'd like a turn order of some kind where the character chooses an action when its their turn, not have everyone choose an action and then see how it plays out.  It requires more thinking because it's more spur-of-the-moment.  You should also make an option of turn-based or time-based (like FF7 or FFX-2).

Anyway, good luck with this!  You're an amazing scripter, so I think you'll be able to make something pretty awesome.

Oh, and I'd personally prefer to use the RTP, sort of like the current SVBS does so custom files aren't required.  You can always add the option of inserting an add-on for animated battlers.

My idea is a bit challenging. Is a "Summon night : Twin Age" (ds) CBS.
It should involve mouse like a RTSBS and various ways for skills. like tapping 3 targets one after the previous hit to continue the skill or drawing a line and make a thrust along that line.
And that some charged skill are timer-based.
Last but not least tou can switch characters by clicking on them.

i, dont know, probably all we need is a supercompatible atb, and a new battle menu that let the user customize by pictures, other thing that seems to be important is the battlers, i mean if the cbs need lot of sprites will be hard to find resourses, i think that's the most usefull cbsm but if you want to make something really new, why dont you try to make a battle with cards like pokemon tcg league or duel masters, i never seen something like that... i dont know if its possible because i think that needs a really good ai but is something new :p

Id suggest something more along the lines of FFX, where it both uses elements of the ATB and the TBS battle systems. Turn based side view battles like with ATB systems, but tactical like TBS systems.

But most importantly, sideview is a must!! In any case, whichever system youre gonna make. xD

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.