Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How to use RGSS2 or RGSS3 with RPG Maker XP

You should all use RGSS202 now. I did this tutorial when I had only the trial version.

@t0nedef
First time I see this Tilemap script, I'll try it out tonight.

Good Job!
But I've find a BUG in the given Tilemap script(e...I mean Poccil's...)
When you get into a very big map(such as 200X200)
An error will happened in Line 524
In order to fix it,we should change line 519 and line 520 into
"
LINE 519   for y in yStart..yEnd-1
LINE 520    for x in xStart..xEnd-1
"
(It seems like an array range error...maybe)

And there is one more question: What make it happen that after I have changed all $DEBUG into $TEST I still cannot use F9 to DEBUG? X_X

P.S: Please don't kill me for my poor English, I live in somewhere far from Earth -_-0

can someone make a bug free demo of this with all vx scripts in? because i'm try some scripts and them don't work? this is truly 100% compatible with rgss2?

What? Why would you want to put RGSS2 + all VX script into XP? Why don't you just use VX?
And yes, everything from RGSS2 (from RGSS202E.dll, not VX scripts) will be 100% compatible with XP.

well i'm just want to migrate my vx project to xp without loose or convert any code. I'm want to migrate because xp tilemap format give more liberty to map than vx. correct me if i'm wrong and thanks for the reply Dargor

your gonna have to make some changes... and you'll need to redo all your maps. I don't know how major the changes to your scripts it will be. That really depends on what scripts you used and how they interact with your game environment.

Maybe, maybe, maybe, you can put every VX scripts in XP and use RGSS202E.DLL without adding ANYTHING else in the script editor (no new tilemap script, no RPG classes, nothing!) and maybe, maybe it will work.
Maybe :P But I don't see the point of making this.

But if you only want the XP mapping style in XP, you should probably use azrith's XP map editor for VX.
http://www.creationasylum.net/index.php?showtopic=23617

I've played around with this, no rgss2 script works with this method... I'd just recommend using vx and painly map your game maps, or just use rgss1.

The goal of this isn't to use RGSS2 scripts. This tutorial is for XP, not VX. The RGSS library is still the same as RGSS1. The only difference is that you gain some RGSS2 features on XP. Things like blur, radial_blur, snap_to_bitmap, resolution changer, sprite wave effect and A LOT more.

This is just perfect I just implemented the RGSS2 and it is a sweet thankyou DARGOR you rule! by the way I only have a non-working thing it's the DEBUGER .. It doesn't work I press F8, F9... and nothing happends!! =( some help here??

it's because the $DEBUG flag doesn't exist in RGSS2, it has been replaced with $TEST.
So in Main, at the very begining of the script, add $DEBUG = $TEST.

If it doesn't work, then add $DEBUG = $TEST = true instead. Note that in the final version of the game you'll have to set these variables to false, add $DEBUG = $TEST = false, or else, the player will always be in debug mode.

I wanted something extra!!  :smile: Dargor as you seem to understand a lot of this things!! :P
I have my game running at 640x480... but unlike everyone else I want that, if people try to full-screen it the black border happears
(people always want the opposite but here is diferent ;).. ) thankyou in advance

Good god Dargor! I think I just cried a little. This is to beautiful for words! I mean I've done this before but just how simple and complete it is is just beautiful! I can't believe how well you did yourself in this one!

Dargor you did it again. =D

XD hahah! VX scripts almost converted! Had to do some module playing around! SOON we will have a VX XP!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.