Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How to distribute your game without the RTP

Perhaps my computer is being weird, but I don't have any pictures in your first post, either.

The Comcast link works, though. 

Meh.  Maybe it's me.

If you mean the 2nd one, I have no idea. I just entered the url to the image to make sure IE
could see it, and when I hit "back" all the images were there.

It's either magic, or a Bill Gates conspiracy.  :scruff:

Just something I want to point out, DO NOT use the resource manager to import the RTP graphics, as it will screw them up. If they are already in the RTP, you should just copy them across.

Why?

The RTP files already have transparencies set, so if you import them again it sees anything white as transparent. So you end up with see through parts where white should be. (This is what happened with me, anyway).

Odd, I've never seen that problem. anytime I've imported a file with an alpha-channel, the dialog to select the transparent/semi-transparent colors doesn't even come up.

there are advantages to the Import function, especially the fact that you can select multiple files.

Export copies the files to your game, from the RTP. You can select multiple files, but you have to 'OK' each one.
But, no conversions are done.

If you know every file you want to use, or you just want to copy the whole RTP, Drag & Drop is the way.

I would say the preferred way would be to use 'Export', and each time you use a new resource, export it in.
That way, when you're done you only have the stuff you need. Although most people (myself included) don't
realize this until it's too late, at least on the first project.

Be Well

Wyatt":1hyuvn4i said:
The RTP files already have transparencies set, so if you import them again it sees anything white as transparent. So you end up with see through parts where white should be. (This is what happened with me, anyway).

Well that explains what happened to my doors. I ended up graphically modding them to get rid of the transparency because I didn't know what else to do.

All of this is great information that would have been nice to know earlier and is nice to know now. Thanks much.

Cosdog

Can I just ask a really quick question regarding this?

Assuming you said yes, then here it is.

I have finished a sample of my game, it only goes for like 10-15 minutes of gameplay or whatever but the main test is to see if I can get it working on my friends computer so he can play it without installing the RPG Maker. I don't intend for my game to get mass produced or anything, I just want a few mates to play it because I made it for them.

I don't really mind if there are files that will let them edit the game or whatever in the thing so is there just a quick drag and drop everything type way of doing this because I just want them to have fun with my game.

Thanks, Cosdog.

The "standard" way of distributing a game that uses the RTP is to just compress it, and tell your customers to download & install the RTP. Then you don't have to go through the trouble of including the RTP resources you use in your distribution.

How do you "install" the RTP?

Say If I upload my game ([Gametitle].exe), wheat else do I need to upload - for others to download?

hey brew if you want id be willing to give you my instructions from making an installer instead of this, granted its a bit more complex, just thought id throw it out there if you want it, since you are my hero and all :)

Plague180":16i3oj5y said:
hey brew if you want id be willing to give you my instructions from making an installer instead of this, granted its a bit more complex, just thought id throw it out there if you want it, since you are my hero and all :)

I don't undertsand a shit what you're saying O_o

I need either to make it possible for other users (DOWNLOADERS I mean) to install the RTP with the game, OR pack everything into my project (non-RTP) and import everything into it.

BUT I am a amateur at this! Therefore am I seeking help:)

my way is way more complex then brews, i make REAL installers for my games, like the ones you use when you install any other software on your computer. i was just offering the info for him, it wouldnt help you if you cant get this to work. sorry. if you really want send me the link and ill make it work for you(cause ive done it like 1000 times)

Plague180":255bj110 said:
my way is way more complex then brews, i make REAL installers for my games, like the ones you use when you install any other software on your computer. i was just offering the info for him, it wouldnt help you if you cant get this to work. sorry. if you really want send me the link and ill make it work for you(cause ive done it like 1000 times)

Wow really? :) Well I am goinf to send the PROJECT FOLDER to you then. Also, so you know, I have NON-RTP, I have imported everything I used from the RGSS library!

I would be grateful if you however could make the game work fro me, preferably in only 1 FILE!

//Thank You

This link was removed.

You're going to:
1.Compress it
2.Upload it
3.Make an installer

AM I RIGHT?

Are you going to make a RTP installer as well or are you just making it together somehow?

Thanks plague. I have Install-Shield, I just never really saw the need to use it. I suppose if I had to release a commercial game, an epic game, or a game with additional install items like custom fonts it would be worth the while.

Be Well

I just have Install-Shield because we use it at work. I think I've only used it once. Most of the work I do is patches or API programs that don't require an installer.
If I ever have the need to make an installer, I'll hit you up. Thanks.

Be Well

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.