Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Horror Game

Do you play horror games?

• Yes - If the story is good

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes - When I can get a good scare out of it

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes - If it's fun enough to keep me playing through the scares

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No - Scary games aren't enjoyable when you're scared

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - They aren't much fun

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No - I haven't found one I'd like to play

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Story
You play as the maintenance-man for the coolant system of a nuclear power station, you have no military training, you're just on a normal day at work monitoring the water flow through the system.
The plant suffers from a catastrophic melt down, on the rushed advice of a colleague you head into the sewer system connected to the waste water processing system of the plant to escape the rock-melting temperatures of the surface and make your way out of the area via underground.
Your colleague flips a coin. He is the one that has to risk his life closing up the waste system and stopping any more contaminated water from entering the sewers whilst you're both in it, and you're the one that has to find the power for the old lighting fixtures along the maintenance tunnels of the sewers.

Gameplay
The idea is that you're alone with the guidance of get out. You are equipped with a GPS that will constantly mark the way out, you just have to get there.
It's pitch black too, and the only way to illuminate the path besides the light fixtures are flares that you pick up, which you can throw down to light up an area.
You make your way through the tunnels, choosing your path, finding locations such as an old underground rail system, old world war 2 bunker networks and the catacombs under the church of a nearby village.

Ammo System
Things shouldn't be complicated, but having lots of ammo for a gun makes you feel pretty secure with what you have, and having too little ammo is just unfair. The game will drop you with multiple guns quickly, each with it's own set of ammunition that you need to conserve. Different locations will have stronger abundance of different ammo types, so just when you feel safe with a gun, it's out of ammo and you have to switch to another one.

Health System
Auto recovering health is great, you can march in, do your damage, sit back and let the personal consequences just disappear. So auto recovering health will not be a feature here. Health packs will be around, and plenty of them. Problem is, different health packs cure different problems, so if your leg is injured, some eye medicine won't help.
Another unique health feature would be that the player suffers from the effects of radiation poisoning that slowly worsens during the game. Things occur like double vision, vomiting, and sudden drops in health. Luckily a drug has been developed that cures the symptoms, so keep on top of your supply of pills to keep that problem away.

No Scripted Baddies!
Instead, when there is a lull in fighting an enemy will spawn somewhere in the tunnels, there is a maximum number of enemies to be spawned, so you can kill them all, but make sure you don't hang around too long.
I'll try to make this as fair as I can, so if your health is low a new enemy won't spawn as frequently. That should keep you moving!
2 shots should kill a regular monster, problem is that they move pretty fast and you'll probably hear them splashing towards you before you see them.
Baddies are mutated things that had been living in the sewers for years without the people on the surface ever knowing, they get extra aggressive when someone is splashing around in the darkness with them.

Combat System
I'm still trying to think of this one. It'll be run around, shooting things, but I haven't decided on any unique ideas yet.
Possible feature would be the hold-to-aim, so you hold a key and it stops your movement and takes aim at whatever is in front of you to deliver a 1-shot kill, this would be useful for picking off things in the distance that haven't noticed you rather than running at them and unloading your bullets to try and deal with them as quick as possible.

Controls
Because it's a 2D game I'll probably make the controls the arrow keys to move (left/right turn the player) and Z and X keys to strafe left and right respectively. Space bar to shoot, enter to interact. Healing will probably occupy a few keys, one for each medicine type, obviously not too many keys, this wouldn't be a flight sim.

shot2.png

No one's replying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJgbDIMaZ8

Added in some stuff; Gun shots, particle system (It's bad), blur effect, weapon reloading, mouse input, head-before-arm camera movement, vomiting effects, flare smoke effects.

Going to now work on a demo map with some monsters.

hey that's looking pretty cool, what resolutions will/do you support?
if possible, could you show me a screen of a somewhat bigger one? maybe hd or something?
i'd like to look at the details

640x480 will be the only resolution, the engine can scale though but this project uses a lot of effects that halves the framerate at some points so 640x480 is optimum.

Its my own engine called "XI" engine (11 engine).
I may make a quick 720p version to see what it's like

Here's that 720p shot:
720pshot.png

The sprite positions weren't corrected so they seem bigger and floating in the air, it runs at 100fps on my PC (I have a 3ghz quad core cpu) unless a sprite takes up the entire screen, then it drops to as low as 20.

If I were to strip out the effects and take it back down to the base engine it would be around 200fps.

hey that's looking pretty clean at the moment! but why does the game slow down when there's only a single sprite in the fov?
can't you code around that?

Tomas":2l6bno1x said:
hey that's looking pretty clean at the moment! but why does the game slow down when there's only a single sprite in the fov?
can't you code around that?
It's because it's drawing a large texture, I cancel the draw after it's 4800 pixels high which saves the resolution at 480p.
I once made it so the wall slices drew in y-cut boxes but it had bizarre effects when you were within that view range as the texels lined up with vertical resolution 1:1, it might look alright with a sprite as it's not often you get a sprite in your face (The pillar and the enemy is the only case), so I'll see what I can do with that.

EDIT: FPS growth is only 10 with major graphical bugs, isn't worth it.

Finishing up a shotgun sprite so I can test inventory systems and bullet spread. Reloading is animated like goldeneye64. Shotgun holds 2 shots, each shot expells 4 pellets to keep it balanced.
shotgun.jpg

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.