Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[FEATURE] Participation Points

BsXSODZ.png
:!:

While participating in activities on .org, such as posting resources, commenting on games, or generally being productive, you will acculumate points. There are three flavours: Projects, Support, and Resources.

How do points accumulate?

The algorithm is complex and hidden in a vault at the darkest spot in a public toilet somewhere near Slough, whose door reads "beware the leopard". In short, it's hidden and secret.

But it's not just a post count. It knows you. It knows how you work. It has delved into your soul and can see when you're being sneaky. The points system knows everything.

You get more points the more creative or supportive you are, in short.

So this is a rip-off of Makerscore?

Not really. It's a rip-off of the genre I guess, but Makerscore has no measure of quality over quantity; our points system is designed to differentiate between posts and content.

Can I test it to see how it works?

No. That's part of the fun! Just post normally, as you do, and you'll see it play out.

Do we get points for shitposting?

No, nor do you get points for posting in the rec room, forum games, or generally non-gamemaking boards.

This is an elitist measure designed to propagate a two tier system, I demand democracy and freedom.

Sorry.

So let's look at profiles!

Below your avatar you shall find:

P Project Points

For posting, and commenting on, games and projects, and discussing game design thoroughly.

S Support Points

For giving support in the support boards.

R Resource Points

For creating, and commenting usefully on resources and assets.

How long's this system been in development?

Shush.

Can I get points in other ways?

Yes, points may be handed out for participating in events and contests, posting really good content the system missed, or generally being a good person.

Can I lose points?

Yes. If you mess around, abuse the points system, or generally be a dick, points can and will be deducted by staff. If you follow the rules (which basically amount to "don't be a dick") you'll be fine.

Points are also deducted if you edit out content or delete content (if you're able to).

What's this little title thing?

As you gain points you go through levels, each level having a title to go with it. But we aren't saying what they are!- you'll have to discover that for yourself.

Everybody starts out as an L1 Slime.

And what do points mean?

Prizes. Maybe. There may be rewards for getting certain amounts of points in a given timeframe, but it is currently undecided.

Injury

Awesome Bro

This is a great way to encourage organic growth from new members. The ability to value the post as well as content is a great idea. Cool stuff!

Injury

Awesome Bro

Soooo does a project itself, outside of the contest as of now, have the ability to generate points based on views/comments? IE a point system for a game/script/resource/etc as well as the members?

I see an economy haha...sell points for an awesome script, shows support for the programmer and garners more attention for projects....Just throwing it out there...

At current it only looks at your own posts, not replies, but that'd be a neat feature for the future.

I've made some edits to The Algorithm (mainly that I forgot to update the boards since this was made 2 years ago).

Not just icons, the whole HTML for them is nasty. A special <table>? Here's some simpler HTML with accompanying CSS that can be incorporated into the site stylesheet. It even does the mouseover tooltip without being an image!

HTML:
<div class="html" id="{CB}" style="font-family: monospace;"><ol><span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/ol.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><ol[/url] class="hbpoints"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">>

<span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/li.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><li[/url] class="projects"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">><span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/b.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><b[/url] title="Projects"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">>P<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"></b> 0<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">

<span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/li.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><li[/url] class="support"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">><span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/b.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><b[/url] title="Support"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">>S<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"></b> 0<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">

<span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/li.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><li[/url] class="resources"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">><span style="color: #009900;">[url=http://december.com/html/4/element/b.html]<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"><b[/url] title="Resources"<span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">>R<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"></b> 0<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;">

<span style="color: #009900;"><span style="color: #000000; font-weight: bold;"></ol>

CSS:
<div class="css" id="{CB}" style="font-family: monospace;"><ol><span style="color: #6666ff;">.hbpoints {

text-align: <span style="color: #993333;">center;

margin: <span style="color: #933;">0;

padding: <span style="color: #933;">0;

}

<span style="color: #6666ff;">.hbpoints li {

display: inline-<span style="color: #993333;">block;

margin: <span style="color: #933;">0 <span style="color: #933;">2em;

padding: <span style="color: #933;">0;

}

<span style="color: #6666ff;">.hbpoints <span style="color: #6666ff;">.projects b { color: <span style="color: #cc00cc;">#<span style="color: #933;">900; }

<span style="color: #6666ff;">.hbpoints <span style="color: #6666ff;">.support b { color: <span style="color: #cc00cc;">#<span style="color: #933;">060; }

<span style="color: #6666ff;">.hbpoints <span style="color: #6666ff;">.resources b { color: <span style="color: #cc00cc;">#F30; }

Anyway I'm sure I'll never progress very far since all I do is lurk. But it sounds nice in theory.

I should add that Perihelion prepared some graphics for it, but I don't have them right now. As for the bad HTML, that too will likely change, thanks for the suggestions for now. We'll see how it goes for a week or so and then decide what tweaks need to be made.

Edit: you'll have to forgive the quick MS Paint edits for now.

Seems like just editing a post gives points. My score might get bloated cause I tend to go back and fix spelling or grammar mistakes. Or rephrase something. Or I think of something else to say.

Editing (should) merely give you the points you would have got had you posted it normally, minus the points that the original post would have given you. There may be problems however as we had some difficulty with this.

I noticed that, too, although it may just be because I added a screenshot and stuff to my thread when I edited it (if it's based off of the amount of content in a post).

Points should accumulate quicker than they appear at the moment. Over two years I had about a thousand in each.

Once they're going steady we can decide what to do with them.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Looks better with little pictures, lol... I still think it's gimmicky unless we actually do something with them though, lol

Is there a level cap? Does it reset after a time? Like at new years or the Orgy Awards.

Congrats, you've completed a game and submitted a lot of resources and helped a bunch of people out. You're a star. But then a year later all the links are broken; you're still around and haven't done anything new since. You now have less to show than other members but you have a higher score. It's kinda meaningless now. Don't you think?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.