Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Community Watch

Anonymous

This community has always had a strong sense of community watch, and people are willing to use the Report button for threads that need to be moved, closed, or deleted, as well as any problems or potential problems that may be on the forums.

However, I've noticed a definate decline in the number of Reports, while the number of problems is unchanged. Don't be afraid to use the report button, guys. It isn't offensive, it isn't "snitching," and the person you reported need never know you reported them if you don't tell them.

Please help us do our jobs. We can be much more efficient, not to mention experience a lot less stress, if you guys are actively helping us.

Thank you.

Well Ccoa, tbh from what I've seen the staff has been pretty "on point" at finding and handling situations that call for Moderation. I still use the report button often, but most of the time I'll just IM DZ and tell him to fix it :P

If problems are getting worse then, I keep a more watchful eye.

Rain

Sponsor

Agreed, Have the reason I eventually joined this place was due to the cool sense of community I saw.

I will definatly be using the report button, it's always been my way, although I haven't really ran into any occasions here were it's been needed ':| :lol:

Camisado

I only report threads I come across, we don't want a group of people searching the forums for the so-called "bad posts" now do we? I cannot say me being too fond of this thread, namely because of this sentence;
ccoa":3v47i3x6 said:
and the person you reported need never know you reported them if you don't tell them.
Eloborate what kind of community watch you're asking people to become like that? It´s not my intention to change the report system, but use of these phrases will only make people grow a hate to `patriots`.

Anonymous

I'm rather confused, TCoFA. I'm just letting people know that Reporting is anonymous (unless you choose to say you've reported the thread), so they don't have to worry about someone getting offended for being reported. People get offended over the weirdest things, and I wanted to lay anyone's fears on this account to rest.

There are people who more regularly report than others, but I hardly think they're a secret group of patriots ruining the community. This is the same system we've always had, I'm just reminding the old members, and letting the new members know, since I've noticed a definate decline in the number of reports, but not in the amount of mod actions.

Well, you see, saying it like you did above sounds as if the reporter will be portraited "sneaky". I am very aware that people get angered over the slightest things, hell, I've been an active criticus back on .net. That gets you the neccesary hatemail.
It's not like you should publish the reporter or such, I'm just commenting on how your way of giving away that information. Personally, I would say something like; using the report button is anoymous, this is to prevent counter actions taken by the "reported person".
Also; if you report someone if you cannot stand for your reason to report the person in question, you shouldn't report at all. This is not a point taken in consideration. I'd rather stick with the current amount of reports than get a whole bunch of worthless ones on top of 'em if I were a mod, which I luckily am not.

Anonymous

I'm sorry you're reading it that way, but I just don't see it.

I'd rather have someone report something questionably reportable than not at all. I'd like to be aware of potential problems. And people who have sent demonstratably false reports have been warned (verbally, usually, although once a forum warn for something that was obviously simply a stupid prank on the part of the reporter). I do hope that the average intelligence around here is high enough to determine what is something that should be reported, and what should not.

Well, I usually keep an eye around, but not all the time. As J Street said, the Report button is not really necessary sometimes, because the staff got it on lock.

The average inteligence gets me doubting at times. If I´m correct .net´s report function said something like that people who used the report button for contacting moderators, personal isuues and the like, would recieve a warn. I´m kinda missing that here, though it´s probably more your issue than mine. Yet, I feel that should help.

Rain

Sponsor

The Cry of Fallen Angels said:
The average inteligence gets me doubting at times. If I´m correct .net´s report function said something like that people who used the report button for contacting moderators, personal isuues and the like, would recieve a warn. I´m kinda missing that here, though it´s probably more your issue than mine. Yet, I feel that should help.

That would only be logical if the person who made the Report was making one that was nothing more than a waste of time, like Reporting someone's topic purely because they don't like that person, or because they don't agree with there view.

Anonymous

We haven't ever had a problem with people misusing the Report button, except for the one instance I mentioned, and some smartass reporting this thread (you know who you are ;) ). The worst that happens is someone occasionally reporting a "flame" against them that isn't a flame, or a project to be moved that doesn't qualify for movement yet. Nothing really big or time-wasting. And in the first case, at least, we get the drop on potential personal problems between members.

ccoa said:
so they don't have to worry about someone getting offended for being reported. People get offended over the weirdest things

I've been saying that the whole time. You should remember that the next time someone says "such and such" is offensive.

Anonymous

When one person is offended, it's an anomoly. When half the forum is, then the problem is probably with the offendee, don't you think?

Rain

Sponsor

Definatly, If say for example You posted a comment that I found offensive, and no one else felt offense by it, then it would be my problem. But if it offended the majority of people who read it then it definatly needs to be adressed because that's it's offensive.

ccoa said:
When one person is offended, it's an anomoly. When half the forum is, then the problem is probably with the offendee, don't you think?

Yeah and I guess you were offended by my posts in Scribblette's thread. Quite an anomoly there.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.