Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Attack Vocabulary System

Attack Vocabulary System

Did this for a game earlier today and figured a couple of you might want it. :)

What it does:
- Allows help window messages to be shown when attacking, picked randomly & based on character/monsters.
- Also changes defend text to be randomly picked based on who's doing it.
- Shows "Someone used Skill" with it's icon instead of just the skill name.

Anyone with scripting knowledge can easily change stuff around for more options. For example, I have skills giving different messages for most types based on their ID. (Summons, etc.)

Screenshot from my Raven Tears project:
33808797zp9.png

Demo here: http://www.gamebaker.com/junk/VocabTest.zip

Script is in the demo as well as the slight edits you'll have to make if you're using the default system. Mild (almost none) scripting knowledge is required to use it as I haven't commented anything or made it newbie friendly.

That's pretty neat I must say, but like you said it's newbie-unfriendly, which would include, oh, me.  I wonder, would it be too much of a transgression to inquire further about this script?  Like, say, how one might go about making it more like the Witty Battle Dialogue Script? http://www.rmxp.org/forums/http://dev.rmxp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=324305#p324305

It's just pretty much showing the name of the attack as per default, but then displaying a second window below that containing character anecdotes tying into the throes of battle and whatnot. 

Just a thought.  This thread looked lonely. 

Hehe, that's a completely different monster. This one only changes the help window. :)

I -think- I've seen a script like what you're looking for around before. Not exactly the same though... might've even been before the .org hack a long time ago. It's a fairly easy one to make, but too time consuming for me to try as a request atm.

I've remembered this script exists and decided to implement it into a game. However, the enemy names NEVER show up in the messages I have created. I've tested it in combination with each other the other scripts I'm using one-by-one, but none of them apparently affect this script. I have tried looking around in the VocabTest scripts myself, but they appear identical to your demo. I'm a bit lost.

If you had looked at Sandgolem's profile, you would have noticed he hasn't been around in over a year.
If you want help you'll have to post the script or a new link to the demo.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.