Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Amy's Kingdom

Fayte

Sponsor

dude Amy progress is coming along fairly nice since you announced this to us.. looking gewd! An 8-bit side scrolling mmo has never been done to my knowledge.. you're about to shake the game!

^^ the bad news is, the above image is just a mockup.

The good news is the below image is live.

XGpRsVh.png

Shows your face next to your message; hover over the face and it'll get bigger and you can click it to view their character profile.

Background is transparent so can go over anything. Will eventually scale based on device size and orientation.

Chat now working in game.

Worrying about the styling later.

Qe1LYpp.png

For functionality but also looks, the chat box has a standard HTML scroll bar, but this only shows when your mouse is over the chat area.

UrHrmsm.png

Some other benefits over Afar's chat:

- can retheme the messages based on who's talking, for example moderators or friends
- can push notifications into the chat stream from within the game

Just for fun I thought I would see if I could change my background mountains to match Amy's palette.

MountainsPixelAmy.jpg

Looks like you have background mountains already, but if you need more, I can make some more of these.

That looks great!

The plan is for each map to have its own background, and for it to be non-looping.

Bit of progress, I'm not bothering with scaling the map I don't think, but resizing to fit the screen size is done and tested on mobile.

9Ssevwd.png

hYZVL4F.png

And just to demonstrate, the in-game forums. Same as Afar really just skinned a little nicer. Needs a button to open/close.

Community is going to be very important and there will be community points. In fact, going back to the platformer aspect of this game, there will be some "scores", such as gold, which will show in the bottom right corner; community points will probably be one of these.

pUxnOTU.png

Do do do...

- Server side saving of position, direction and map done.
- Autoload done.
- Hidden players list done, that I will then draw data from to create live players. Gets their name, x, y and direction, with a 300 second timeout.
- First sprites for character generator created. Six hair styles in five colours, with five skin colour tones.

Here's some examples:

2XuymJZ.png

I need to recreate my paperdoll script and then learn how to use the event spawning script for the next bit so this could take a while.

Specifically, for my needs I need the spawner to return the ID of the newly created event, not sure how hard that will be.

So for example,

Result = spawn_event(*args);

Would return the ID of that new event, so I can then control that event...

Excellent. Remade my paperdoll script, but better. Much easier to use now. Basically I just have to change any event's graphic to:

$PPD-1-2-3-4.png

The $ is just a naming convention (defines it as a single sprite rather than a set).

PPD tells it it's gotta generate a paperdoll image.

1-2-3-4 = base, hair style, hair colour, body.

The image is generated on the server, so the client downloads the generated image, rather than having to download every single paperdoll image. So I can have thousands of different parts to the system while the user only downloads what's actually used.

Not sure how useful a screenshot is, but

BvimtoG.png

Mockup of character creation. Again trying to keep everything simple.

The head in a square will be your avatar in chat and in the in-game forums.

GZ0EfdJ.png

I'm thinking the icons you choose from will change colour too as you select each bit.

I wasn't sure how to show what I've done here. But basically:

pdmvP76.png

The map is now populated with events which share graphics with players online in that map in the last 300 seconds.

These events don't do anything yet (they don't even disappear when they log out). But they will do.

What you see above is me and "me", because I haven't removed myself from the list yet. So I'm online, and thus appear in the online players list.

Things to do now:

- make the events disappear if the player is no longer in that map
- make the events move based on that player's movements
- make the events do something

I am going to have to make my own platformer script. The one I was using is incompatible with Galv's event spawner, because events spawn without all the meta data needed for the platformer's enemies and such. But I don't think that will be too difficult, and I should be able to come up with some better controls and AI anyway if I do it myself.

So, STATE OF THE GAME:

- Login and register
- Character creation
- Simple map with nothing in
- Paperdoll based character graphics
- Map populated by real players with their graphics and in their positions, but they don't do anything yet
- Chat
- In-game forums

I would have called it visual equipment, but there is no equipment yet. A paper doll is a paper cut out you layer together to make an image. So in game making, it's a customised character created by layering parts together.

To begin with they'll be simple find-the-chest kind of puzzles, but with some multiplayer elements, like cooperative puzzles, pressure pads, etc. Other players can never hinder you, but can help you. There will be lots of shared variables, switches and enemies.

Planning time!

Successfully set up live players. BUT, broke the platformer system.

As I will be making my own system, I'm going to put a lot of thought into what I actually want to do with this game. It'll be my own system, not just a Mario clone.

I'm thinking of even having it as a kind of more 3D experience, where there are platforms you can walk about on, not just left-right.

But I need to work out the direction I want to go in and what will be worthwhile. So, to the drawing board.

But just know that the base system - login, character creation, and then live players that walk around as they should, is done.

The players at the moment move to the position stored in the database by pathfinding. So while they won't follow a player's key presses exactly, they will move themselves to the right position, essentially appearing as a live movement.

Thought of how to implement gravity. Just saying that so I remember when I get home. Regions, basically. Should be able to have 3d platforms and falling. So multilevel dungeons and jumping puzzles.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.