Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Amy's Kingdom

27FFt7U.png

The Statement

To create a solid, cleanly finished, simple game.

The Premise

Amy's Kingdom will be a light hearted, casual multiplayer game set in a platformer world.

Unique Selling Points

- Platformer meets MMORPG
- Cutesy but not patronising or stereotyping
- High level of world interactivity

Graphics and Aesthetics

I intend to use RM2K3 graphics, highly edited to my purposes. I've always thought they would make good graphics for a platform game.

T8e1wop.png

As far as aesthetics will go, everything will be 3-Up 16x16. That means a lot of menus and things are going to have to be reformed.

Menus themselves are going to be Super Simple. By that I mean there will be absolutely no unnecessary clutter. Just plain boxes with things in.

So there'll be careful control of assets to ensure they use only the 256 colour palette, the 3-up pixel size, and so on.

Enemies and such will be simple too.

Enemies

Fx71hMp.png

So you kind of get the idea I'm going for here.

As it's a platformer, there won't be such varied stats as other RPG games. So each enemy will have its own unique feature. Such as ghosts being able to go through things, dragons being able to fly, others spawning magic objects and other nodes, and so on. There will be few different enemies but they'll all have their own design and features.

Controls

Controls will be as simple as possible:

ASDF: Move
Space: Jump
Enter: Interact, Slash

Mobile:

Touch left or right of hero: Move
Double-tap: Jump
Touch an event: Interact, Slash

Nodes

The world will be a simple, flat world, and then on top of it, nodes will be added. So anything like trees, buildings, etc, will all be floating nodes.

This means most things can be interacted with. Trees will be able to be cut down for wood, for example, but if you do that you can't then jump on them to get to higher places. Rocks will be able to be mined for minerals but again, you might need them to jump higher.

These will be basic ingredients like "wood", "metal", etc.

Multiplayer Elements

Using tried and tested things I've done for Afar:

- Chat
- In-game forum, but super simplified
- Secondhand store
- Possibly user-to-user trading
- Player profiles
- Multi-user bosses
- Possibly live players

I'm going for a Neopets kind of vibe where multiplayer is concerned.

The World

The world will be completely seperate from Afar, I think. It will be quite extensive though eventually.

You'll start off in the starter town and basically will be able to walk on top of buildings, enter them, etc.

While the world will be mostly 2D, you will be able to move upwards which enters new perpendicular maps, giving the world a kind of faux 3D shape to it and there will be mazes based on this.

Death

Not sure what happens when you die. There won't be LEVELS as such, just one open world; there will probably be respawn points every now and then. You certainly won't lose items when you die, this isn't that sort of game.

I haven't thought this through much yet

As you can probably tell.

It needs much

Planning.

The Base System

At the moment I am playing around with a script some Japanese person has made which includes a platform world and very simple ABS combat system. Found here: http://hikimoki.sakura.ne.jp/plugin/jump_action.html

http://afar.ws/TEST

It seems alright so far. Needs a LOT of work however.

Controls for this TEST are arrow keys, X to jump, Z to attack, and various other controls that will probably be removed. Shows a few nodes such as jumping, climbing, sliding, etc. You can jump on top of the castle and walk around, that sort of thing. Water traps, respawns, etc.

Options:

jteNzGp.png

GVAueLD.png

Hate them both, for different reasons...

But there will be a lot of text as this game will have chat amongst other things.

Oh this looks cute!
When it comes to text, I'm always a believer of function and readability over all else; so I much prefer the top option. :)

There's going to be quests but they'll be as simple as "complete this jumping puzzle" with a little story.

I've come up with about 20 different types of platform and drawn up the starter town, with some hidden dungeons and goodies.

I know. I don't know how that happened.

Going to draft up some shit at work and see what I come up with. Mostly the coop elements I promised for Afar but never delivered.

Since Afar a much improved chat system has become available - such power, many features. So that's a bonus. On top of that I'm going to really simplify the in game forums so they'll be more like a comment stream, very decluttered. Mobile compatability for all of this from the get go too. The game's going to have a huge focus on community.

If I'm gonna do this I need much more planning than dumping in a thread. So it's drawing board time and you won't see anything here until it's done.

I say.

Design document. I've done proper in-depth ones for my projects and that really helps set out the scope and goals of a project (and if it's worth pursuing)

You're going to be able to log in via Google and Facebook. Is there any benefit in adding other options to this - Twitter, LinkedIn, etc?

Amy":3f9qfkxn said:
You're going to be able to log in via Google and Facebook. Is there any benefit in adding other options to this - Twitter, LinkedIn, etc?
Twitter is another big one. It's always Google, Facebook, Twitter. After that, it's Chinese social sign-in that you want (QQ, Renren) and then you have 99% of the planet covered.

Amy":2y96hm06 said:
Thanks. Any benefit in going beyond that? Or is that just unnecessary clutter?
Going beyond those would be clutter as of right now (who knows what services may pop up in the future?).

You wouldn't include LinkedIn and Github (the next two in the list of big ones to include) because they aren't appropriate for your content, for the same reason you wouldn't have a dating website's sign-in support. For the case of MySpace, the usage has dropped so significantly that it's pointless to include it.

You want to reduce clutter as much as possible. Display QQ and Renren only if the user is accessing from China, as the rest of the planet largely don't use these services, whereas they're #1 in China.

How are you handling the back-end? Are you using Firebase? (Super recommend you use Firebase).

Looking at using firebase for chat at the very least. Still exploring my options for the rest. Fairly sure I can make other players visible this time around though, it will just be a bit awkward coding them as jumping in a platformer is more complicated than moving from A to B; the game will probably guess how the player moved from their position and show you that.

Amy":11kmbm14 said:
Fairly sure I can make other players visible this time around though, it will just be a bit awkward coding them as jumping in a platformer is more complicated than moving from A to B; the game will probably guess how the player moved from their position and show you that.
message = char x, char y, vec x, vec y, button press (total message 20 bytes-ish)

interpolate the shit out of it, but obviously keep the data relevant

Since I need to set up user accounts pretty early I've been working on the website, which includes the in-game forums. Created a better style than last time I think:

P7PSebU.png

Probably 50% of the way through, shouldn't take long.

You'll be able to register via Facebook, Twitter, Google, Windows Live and Steam, and then I'll look into foreign social media (I know there are some big Russian social networks too).

If you compare the above to say, HBGames's forum index you can see how I want everything to be simple and readable.

Also when you view the forums from outside of the game, you get an expanded view with more information.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.