Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Advanced Mission Skills/Shop/Manager V1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced Mission Skills/Shop/Manager
Version: 1.1

Introduction
This is another Mission/Quest Script, this script is similiar to the system found in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. You can setup a shop where mission info is sold and the player goes to complete the mission. Also includes mission skills, skills that the heroes have (combat skills, gathering skills, negotiation skills) similiar to that of FFTA (can be turned on or off). Missions have requirements to be on the board and to be accepted. Also includes a penalty for quitting a mission, a failure penalty for failing the mission and reward for completing the mission.

Screenshots
There in the download manager click the demo link

Demo

http://www.rmxp.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=268

Instructions

Copy the file Missions.rxdata from the Data Folder of the demo to your projects Data Folder, here you can change the characteristics of each mission, there are five examples the commands are pretty much self explanatory except for the rewards and requirements

Located in the Script Data Structure located near the bottom is class Game_MissionSkills, just change/add/delete the attr_reader and the instance variables declared in the initialize method to get what you want

Located in the Script Constants/Windows is the list of Constants that affect how the script is ran what they do is self explanatory, but if not that's why those lines have been commented

If you want the Mission shop just type using a call script event command
$scene = Scene_Mission.new(area)
where area is the mission area (affects which missions are shown if you defined it)

If you don't want the Mission shop just type
$game_party.missions.push(id)
where id is the id of the mission

Mission completion/failure
$game_missions[id].completed = true
$game_missions[id].failed = true

where id is the id of the mission

Giving Out Rewards
$scene = Scene_Reward.new(id, reward)

where id is the id of the mission and if reward is true gives the reward else shows the failure screen be sure to place a wait count
before calling these lines

Examples of all of these calls are given in the demo

FAQ

Awaiting questions

Compatibility

SDK Compliant
Requires Method and Class Library V1.5 or greater

Credits and Thanks

Raziel for betatesting
Draken for betatesting and being a better betatester than Raz
Lockheart for requesting and waiting a few months for me to finish
icons are from Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
Mac for betatesting the new version

Author's Notes

Completely rewritten there is no backwards compatibility with the older version

Well, since no one took my request for a mission screen,i think i'll be using this one. Looks great, but i think that obvious coming from Trickster.
Great work!

Wow so many replies, thanks

I suggest that you go through the demo and see the system in action, then look at the mission related events (especially the ones that can be repeated), There are only five missions in the demo 2 of which can be accessed through special conditions (gold less than 250 and combat level less than level 5) though I don't want to spoil the example missions, I'll just let you see for yourself.

The Battle System is just a few things I put together, the actual base of the battle system is from a request I did awhile back I just added a few features to it. The status window like I stated before can be access when you hold down the SHIFT button. The Animated Front View Battlers script doesn't have that many features to match other scripts of that nature so I didn't create another topic for discussion with that. The full system may be done by th time I finish my Test Bed which will include rewritten versions of all of my scripts

Woo! It's finally complete, or wait... it's complete past beta right? cause I still have the beta version.. and... err nevermind

Nice job Trickster, I'll give this version a shot.

EDIT: one question though, is it possible to get an arrow above the pages? so that people know that they can press left and right to change pages?

Raziel said:
So you finally finished it, great work.

That's not nice. :(

And neither is doing a false alarm on me by MSN

Lockheart":zizj1l6q said:
Woo! It's finally complete, or wait... it's complete past beta right? cause I still have the beta version.. and... err nevermind

Nice job Trickster, I'll give this version a shot.

EDIT: one question though, is it possible to get an arrow above the pages? so that people know that they can press left and right to change pages?

I finished it up last night, all I had left was to complete the holes and clean up the code

Well It wouldn't be that hard to get the arrows by the way I coded the window. Those windows are actually made up of three parts (header, contents, and background).

Ya got a big thumbs up from me. This is a definite must-have and with your instructions... it should be completely foolproof (though some fool will find a way :D ).

DerVVulfman said:
Ya got a big thumbs up from me. This is a definite must-have and with your instructions... it should be completely foolproof (though some fool will find a way :D ).

Hello, I'm the fool! ;)

I don't exactly understand how to edit the existing missions and create new ones.

Mac

Go into Data directory and find a file called Missions.rxdata open that in Notepad and follow the quoted instructions.

These..

1) id
The id of the mission
2) name
The name of the mission
3) Icon
The Icon that appears next to the mission
4) cost
The cost to take the mission
[cost, min, max, reputation %]
where cost is the initial cost
min is the minimum cost
max is the maximum cost
and reputation % is the affect reputation has on the cost
or just use an integer value
5) rank
The ranking of the mission (Does nothing)
6) Switch
The Switch id turn on when mission accepted
7) Area
The areas where this mission is available (An array or an integer)
8) skills
Mission Skills required to take the mission
format
{skill => level, skill => level, ...}
9) items
Items required to take the mission
format
{'items' => item_ids, 'weapons' => weapon_ids, 'armors' => armor_ids}
10) Mission
Mission ids required to already have been completed to take the mission
An array of mission ids or an integer
11) Random
Mission appears randomly when missions change (chance 0-99)
12) Cancel
Can the mission be canceled
13) Redoable
Can the mission be redone over and over again
14) Penalty
The Penalty for quitting the mission (rep down, lose items, gold, etc)
See penalties and rewards for info and format
15) Reward
The reward for completing the mission (Mission skills up, items, gold, etc)
See penalties and rewards for info and format
16) Script
Extra script conditions required for the mission to appear on the list
17) Description
The Description of the mission (can span multiple lines)

what's up with all this quest/mission frenzy? it makes me want to create a full pack of them...
anyway, nice job! (as always ^^)

Everytime I try to use the script in my game, I get a message saying: ArgumentError occured while running script. wrong number of arguments (0 for 1)

How do I fix this?

Micklo, you may need to post the line that the error box is pointing to. It might be a conflict or something.

This sounds very useful. I'm going to check it out when I feel a whole lot less sleepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.