Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Rant/Advice Thread

Sauk

Sponsor

If you fags were in my position would you buy new computer components or a used ESP M-330R with an AHB-1 Blackouts pickup?

xlarge.png

Sauk

Sponsor

I'll just use you for your computer then and we can be best friends for the short period of time until I go home.

Melanii. I get what you're saying and there is not much advice I can offer to be honest.
I like your art though and I think I'd like your stories so they are good, don't falter, you just might decide that it's not what you want to do.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Melanii":3btx8q1c said:
Isn't this off topic? .__.;;

CAN'T YOU RESPOND TO MY RANT ABOUT HOW CRAPPY I AM INSTEAD!? PLEASE? THANKS!

:heart:

He's asking for advice, so no, it's not off topic at all...

Anyway, to reply to you... if you can't finish a story, then maybe you're not cut out to be a writer? For example, I can come up with tons of ideas for shit, and can start writing it down, but I'd never EVER class myself as a writer, and in my opinion, it's a shitty excuse for someone to call themselves anyways, but that's just because I know someone who claims to have been a writer for the last decade of her life, yet she hasn't finished a single story/book or had anything published, and she's just sponging off her boyfriend until she "Finds her creative spark", I'm not having a go at you for choosing it, but the person I'm talking about is one of my best friends' girlfriend.

As for Sauk... get the guitar man, we need to start a band! D:

Jason

Awesome Bro

I could go on a rant in this thread about how shitty last week was for me (Well, specifically Wednesday to Friday), but it's a little fucked up...

Jason":31zegaec said:
I could go on a rant in this thread about how shitty last week was for me (Well, specifically Wednesday to Friday), but it's a little fucked up...
Dude we're here to help and if you've had a tough week just spill it man. We're here ta support you. I've ranted about many screwed up things, here and elsewhere in these forums.

Strawberry, I don't know if people giving you advice is gonna help. You post about this a lot, and if you want to enjoy writing again, you ultimately need to find some internal motivation. But for several years, I also was uninspired and couldn't finish anything despite having a history of finishing stories, and I only recently got over it when I started working on a script for a project I've been planning for a long time. For me, I think a big part of my problem was expecting perfection out of myself and not being able to disable my critical filter long enough to write a rough draft. So I guess ask yourself if there's a reason you aren't enjoying it anymore.

Also, having a project I'd been planning for a long time is also proving to be quite helpful. This is the third time I've tried to draft this story and the first time where I actually felt like I had it right. It took a while before the characters and situations started to seem really real to me, so maybe you just need to commit to a single project for longer even if it doesn't immediately grip you.

But really, if you want to be a writer, surround yourself with other writers. Not people who say they're writers, but people who actually write and finish projects. The people you interact with most with have a huge impact on your behavior, productivity, etc., in general, so you want to spend time around people you want to emulate and see if you can pick up some of their habits. Maybe you should join a critique group or something.

update on my life!

I feel like life is looking up.
I'm going onto an apprenticeship that will be split between what I'm currently doing as well as moving towards the Equality and Participation team. That means I'll be working making "youths" lives better!
I went to a meeting with the "youth parliament" and the atmosphere was great, they had amazing ideas and everyone was awesome!

I've also got my game making feels back. I'll be starting work on a metroidvania game and I have a good feeling about it!
I'm still tired all the time. My dad is still ill. My grandad also recently had a stroke and my friend was recently told she has "a dense mass" in her right lung, so I'm worrying about all that as well as other things, I don't have much time to worry about myself, so I don't.

I've been playing a lot of dark souls 2 with my friend Zero, and he's inadvertently helped me through a lot of issues just by being there. Gabriel continues to support me and has heard me say some shitty things, but he always knows what to say in these times.
I think my family have noticed me become more and more depressed and more and more subdued. They haven't helped me really, but they haven't been as... Overbearing.

I attempted self harm a few times and actually cut myself 3 times (ohhh edgy) and although I don't regret doing it, I hope I don't want to do it again, because the three tiny scars I have already remind me that I was stupid.

I want you all to know that I'm very thankful to have this entire forum, you've all helped me through a really shitty patch in my life and I feel like perhaps I become worse in the winter which would mean it's SAD, except that's a self diagnosis so whatever.

Anyway. I'm feeling happier, for now at least.
It feels like life is getting better
Thank you everyone for this!!!

Self harm is one of those things. When you're not doing it you can see how futile and stupid it is, but that doesn't stop you doing it again, and again, and again in the heat of the moment. I'm sorry you're going through it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.