Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Rant/Advice Thread

Lame title, I know.

I thought of this today, when I realized that I usually have things to get off my chest or whatever. I know others feel the same way. I know we always go to the PWOYM thread for that, but sometimes people's "rants" will just get read over and ignored. So thus, here we are! I shall go first. :(

So, I came up with an idea that seemed to be cool to me, and many friends. At first I was pumped, like I couldn't get it out of my system.

It's only been a few days, but now I'm almost on the edge of throwing it aside. I keep wanting to curl up in a ball and just cry, proclaiming how I can never live up to my dream of being an author.

I'll think of this story, then tons of others just flow into my head at once. Ones from my past, ones I should be working on with friends that I miss, new ideas that probably even aren't as good - or are just as good...

I write down all my ideas I possibly can in Evernote, but they're still there.

I'm really bothered by all of this. I'm considering the fact that if I'm 25, almost 26, and I still can't be excited about my ideas - then this can't be for me.

I may have wanted to write since I was a young girl, but what good is a writer who doesn't write?

@Strawberrii

If it makes you feel better, I have that problem, too! I had dreamed of being a writer since middle school, but I've never made it more than halfway through a story before I get distracted by this other great idea or something in life pops up and I lose inspiration. :x

I have little great advice since I suffer the same thing, but sometimes relating a song to a story will help me. Then, when I listen to the song, I regain some of the original inspiration. ^_^ Also, sticking to short stories or writing in segments seems to help when I gain the enthusiasm to start writing again. Saying, "okay, I'm going to write a chapter as my goal for this story right now," might be more helpful for you (and me) instead of aiming for the whole story being completed. Setting smaller, more achievable goals tends to lead towards stuff getting done more often. NaNo is amazing and I love the idea, but I rarely have the inspiration to work on something for a month straight until it's finished, so it hasn't worked well for me. :(

I wish my family stopped asking me if I'm okay. I'm fine. I just had a bit of suicidal ideation. It's not like I actually tried it. And these new medications are making me feel all uncomfortable. I can't stand still.

I'm not spiritual, but there's so much beauty in mathematics that when you see it you sometimes wonder/be hopeful of something.

And Strawberrii, do you not write because you don't have the time? It might be worth just collecting ideas in one go and then throwing down a quick, large block of something and see if that sparks off something.

Cait

I write or create worlds, because I enjoy it, but I, also, have something I want to say. I, too, have problems, only with the desire to be perfect, so why might be the same. Best advice I ever heard was, write daily and with a quota. You can go back over it and make it better.

Xilef":3ez9q3kp said:
And Strawberrii, do you not write because you don't have the time? It might be worth just collecting ideas in one go and then throwing down a quick, large block of something and see if that sparks off something.

I have too much time, so I don't know. O_O

Stardust":3ez9q3kp said:
I have little great advice since I suffer the same thing, but sometimes relating a song to a story will help me. Then, when I listen to the song, I regain some of the original inspiration. ^_^ Also, sticking to short stories or writing in segments seems to help when I gain the enthusiasm to start writing again. Saying, "okay, I'm going to write a chapter as my goal for this story right now," might be more helpful for you (and me) instead of aiming for the whole story being completed. Setting smaller, more achievable goals tends to lead towards stuff getting done more often. NaNo is amazing and I love the idea, but I rarely have the inspiration to work on something for a month straight until it's finished, so it hasn't worked well for me. :(

I have tried this several times, but it seems it doesn't work either.

Stop writing down ideas. Conceptualizing. Making lists. Plot summaries and character arcs and bios. The only good advice I've heard to get out of world builder's disease is "Ideas are Cheap."
You don't need ideas to start writing. Ideas will come to you. What you need to focus on is how to convey an idea, you know "show don't tell".

You can't just say she was a spunky girl, you want to show her being spunky. I think that's the type of writing habit you need to get into.
Would it be confusing if I said put you're ideas in writing? I don't mean notes, but actual writing. Does that make sense?

I've heard from some writer friends that writer's block isn't really a thing. I've also heard from accomplished writers that you should treat writing as a job, sit down, regularly, and write. It doesn't matter if you writes a couple of words or a couple of chapters, you write what you can. Finally, I have a quote by an important historian and Hispanic writer, Carlos Fuentes, who says: "Novels are dreams from the night before which you have forgotten." I keep that phrase around. Makes me think.

Just shooting in the dark with this stuff and hope something hits home.

I've gotten to the point where I can't do anything for myself. I put needs of others before my own. Not only can I keep putting personal projects off but finishing a project isn't as important as fulfilling an ideal. But if I'm working on something for someone else I'm working towards and end.
So maybe find people to write for will pressure you to write and finish.

I don't know what you do all day. But if you're at a computer typing all day, you might be burned out when you are ready to write. Could be an issue? I've heard advice for people who want to write books should find a job that uses a different skill set.

Jason":4ktu9e3l said:
... Pretty much what I was going to say. Stop whining, get doing.
I SORRY JASON, DON'T HATE ME!!

Yeah, you're all right!

I know I should just... write! I don't know why I don't.

I'm so very glad I'll be using a spare laptop solely for writing and wiping it of any internet access.

I want to make my mornings go like... Eat breakfast, read book, write book. That type of thing.

Coyotecraft, you make a good point. I have a habit of making lists of characters, concepting the story, and all that stuff. I burn myself out on doing all that before I actually get to write, then I get tired of doing it already. I know I have a terrible time remembering things, so I might need at least one list... Though a program I installed can help me write and keep track of things.

I think I should just write, then. :D

((I'm using a story I was going to write as a game for the contest to win my friend VX ACE, so... I do have another one up my sleeve, though. >>))

Ahg what the hey. I'll rant.
For a while rent here has been £20 a week (£40 every two) plus I've gotta pay for my own food and other things. Which is fine. Y'know. Not a lot.
But last week my mom asked me if I could start paying £15 more for internet (Although technically it's internet & TV) which again I don't mind paying.
What pisses me off though is that my mom complains about me then using the electricity. I've been up late these past few nights and I've had both my TV and PC on at the same time so it does drain a bit of electricity, and we run out a lot (For those who don't know in england some houses have a similar system to phones where you "top it up with credit" for gas and electric) I pay £40 towards electric and gas every 2 weeks. I only get £100 every 2 weeks so straight away £55 is going towards bills then whatever is left I've gotta spend on food + others things.
My mom constantly complains about having no money but cause of the benefits she only has to pay about £10 towards rent + she's charging my sister like £50 for rent too so I really don't know what the fuck she's complaining about. She has 2 water bills to pay apparently but that's payed by my sister.
When the electric runs out, she will top it up (after complaining about how she's struggling to live.)
I just wish that she'd realize that I'm not the only one who uses what I pay for. I try to get as much communal foodstuffs as I can when I go food shopping. I pay the electric which we all use and the TV/internet is also communal.
It just really grates on me when she blames me for the electric running out and things like that cause it's like... Almost as if she's blaming me for all her money problems.
AHHHG /rant

@strawberry: I think it's called discovery writing. You'll be writing a scene or something and decide one of your character's needs more depth so you make them allergic to peanuts. You write that into you're story, but you also make a note of it in a character dossier or something for your reference afterwards.
I've just started getting into writing and this is all advice I've recently come across.
giphy.gif

@Potion: Make sure you talk to her about it. Don't bottle up resentment. You're probably bound to get in an argument in the future. It'll be less heated if that's one less point to you would want to make. It was something Room Advisers in college would always tell new students moving in with roommates for the first time. Those little pet peeves that never seem worth mentioning just compound until one day you or they snap. You'll have a lot you want to say but won't know where to begin and it's just an ugly thing to watch.

That makes sense Coyote!

ANOTHER RANT.

When I wake up, and after I read a book and shower, I go on the computer to check stuff. Facebook was one of them. I'm not generally a fan of Facebook, but my family lives all the way in Michigan and I have to check on them somehow...

My youngest brother posted a status that said made it seem like shooting himself would be the best solution. My other younger brother replied with a loooong comment about how he dwells on things too much. The youngest shot back with anger.

My mother texts me after reading my reply (which is a simple "DON'T DIE ERIC!"), telling me that they got into a fist fight at 2am in the morning! The youngest got his tooth broken and the other had his lip busted open.

This breaks my heart. I've been trying not to tear up since I read about it.

I really wish I could just visit them and see them all. :(

Spoo

Sponsor

I've totally screwed any relationship I have with my mother.

I need to establish that the woman is, in fact a batshit insane, verbally abusive religious zealot. That's not just me tossing superlatives around, either; she's bipolar on a very bad level and she refuses to take medication because she believes it affects her moral judgement. Consequently, my family (particularly my sister and myself) has been subject to her verbal abuse for the past twelve years or so.

But that's just how it's been and I can't change any of that now. The problem here regards her religious beliefs and my contact with them. My mother has been a Christian since long before I was born; she's a member of a small denomination with a particular set of beliefs. Those beliefs aren't really important to the telling of this story save for a couple of things:

1.) If you aren't a member of [this particular] church, you're damned.
2.) If you are a member of the church and you leave, you're damned with no chance of redemption.
3.) Oh yeah, and if you join the church and sin, you're out.

Three things that I don't buy in the slightest these days. The thing is, the majority of believers of this religion are legitimately great people. They live honest lives, they strive to be the best people they can be. They're the kind of people I would hate to disappoint. Which brings me to my next problem:

I joined this church.

About five years ago, mind. The whole ordeal was a huge mess. I was basically breaking down mentally at the time and then puberty and stuff was going on and it was a time of super weakness for me; I was desperate for something to cling to. In addition to that, pretty much every member of the church knew me as my mother's son and...believing that my only other option was damnation, they actively preached to me -- they wanted me, badly. And at the time, that feeling of being wanted just drew me in more. I caved.

So I became the model Christian teenager. The gay was the plague, abortion was a black and white issue, and fapping was a Satanic ritual. Since pretty much every church of the denomination was local and in small towns, most everyone knew my new deal at school and such. I can't say saving myself from damnation was a bad choice all 'round. It did pull me out of the aforementioned state of mental breakdown, and it did give me a strict set of moral guidelines to follow (something I desperately needed at the time). It also made me actively think about spirituality later on, and I don't think I would have come to the conclusions I have had I not joined up.

That being said, things didn't stay so positive. After about two years of my being a testament to righteousness or whatever, the rush began to wear off, and I very quickly started to realize the implications of what beliefs I subscribed to.

I need to clarify something for the next part of the story to have any impact. My father and elder brother are both non religious, though I suppose they subscribe to the general ideals of Christianity. My ten, possibly twenty closest friends are for the most part atheists -- none of them are members of my former denomination.

I believed that all these people I care about -- people whose good deeds I had witnessed firsthand -- were all going to burn in hell because they didn't agree with me. That didn't sit well with me. So I consulted my Mom, as she was the resident source of information. Her advice was for me to pray and ask God to draw these people in. To our denomination. Not any of that Catholic or Southern Baptist nonsense. That answer, as you might can imagine, didn't satisfy me.

It's at this point that I start having a lot of questions that my mother doesn't want to hear.

"Why should we boycott Pepsi for supporting gay rights?"
"Matt (my brother) is probably a better person than I am; why would he go to hell?"
"We're supposed to love everyone, so why do you talk about homosexuals like they're less than human?"
"The Bible was written hundreds of years after Jesus's life. Don't you think it might have been altered?

Et cetera. It's worth noting that most of these questions evolved into her giving me either guilt trips or scripture (which, as the last line indicates...uh...didn't quite do it for me), generally followed by both of us being in a shitty mood and/or her breaking down completely and storming into closet and praying...like, moaning in agony, praying. Audible through two walls. It...disturbed me.

It all went to shit. I've stopped attending church because if I tell the congregation I don't believe a lot of what is preached, I'm...well, fucked, and if I don't say anything, then if I'm called upon to say anything and I tell them what they want to hear, I'm lying, which fucks me by their standards anyways (and I couldn't deal with it myself). They either excommunicate me (which is chilling...you may as well be nonexistent to them) or they kneel around me at the altar and pray for me. Either way, I would be disappointing them, and like I said before, these are people I really hate to disappoint.

But even if the congregation wasn't a factor, my mother certainly is. To be blunt, I don't think she could handle it if I officially left the church. She loves me, despite her problems, and believing one of her children was damned to hell forever? I think she'd snap. She'd hurt herself. I'm nearly positive.

This entire ordeal spawned from my own weakness, and I feel obligated to resolve it. The thing is, I'm still too much of a pussy to be forthcoming about this to anyone who is actually involved. Like, the best idea I have, legitimately, right now is to hope my plans to study abroad in a couple of years come to fruition and I'll fade out of everyone's memory while I'm gone. Seriously. That's the best I've got.

So, to atheists or whatever, this probably seems like a really fucking stupid situation I'm in. I agree completely. But it's something I'll have to resolve eventually. Anyways, I needed to get this whole thing off my chest. If you made it to the bottom, thanks a ton, and I'm sorry for putting you through that.

Wow spooky... You are literally stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Fucked from all directions.
Two things I should state before I begin:
This is my oppinion. You don't have to take if for truth and I appologize if I unintentionally say something out of line
there is no easy way out.
Don't look for one. This situation is very tight. You're standing on a house of cards, and any second it's going to fall. The best way to get out alive is to brace yourself.
This is fairly frank. I don't intend to say everything is going to be alright because from what you've said your mother is somewhat unstable, the parish you joined sound like good hearted people if you are exactly like them, but from outside all I see it a bunch of elitist control freaks who use their societal influence and guilt tripping to maintain their rigid caste system.
Honestly, this is quite a lot of religious people. Religion has suffered from the curse of the elitist where the system is built around those who have more power than those who don't. Most religious people are all fine and nice and good but when they start ostracizing other groups of people that's when it gets bad. This is where you come in. You're socially fucked if you quit. Your mother is most likely going to be upset, your parish is going to ostracize you and to be honest I'm not sure how the others in your family will act.
The best thing you can do is be true to yourself. There may be issues that arise if/when you do quit and they won't be pretty.
I think if you do want to quit then you should, but before you do, ask yourself these questions:
am I happy here?
Do I contribute towards society and individual people who need me by being here.
Can I help more people if I am no longer here.
If I am to quit, and the shit storm dies down, how will I feel?
Are there any chances of the old denomination being harmful/malicious towards me/my family
Will they help my mother through her problems with it?
What am I still here for?
You should also ask you mom these:
As a son, do you love me, no matter what my choices are in life?
Do I make a worthy contribution towards your life/your social life by being here.
Is it so important to you that I be a part of this
Can you accept my feelings as I can accept yours?
Or something along those lines. Make sure you have the rest of your family around when you do this. If she gets emotional or irate, leave the house for a few. Try stay in contact with your family to ask when she's calmed down. If needs must, stay at a friends for the night (Maybe don't tell your mother where you are going?)
I think you guys have been too delicate about the situation up until now and her love for it may have surpassed her love for you. This isn't the truth, but until she realizes how much you mean to her and how she must stop her faith getting in the way of her love for you all.
Honestly, your mother sounds like she might be a nice enough lady, but she has mixed up a few of her priorities.
Just make her comfortable, ease here in to the situation.
Or, if you don't want to do that you can go around and do things they don't like you doing until they are no longer forced to ignore it. They'll kick you out of the parish, but you'll be free.
Honestly. If these people are so willing to kick you out just because your ideals and beliefs don't align with theirs, what's the point in them being in your life? They serve you no god, and you're only deepening your ties with them.

Anyway. That's my scrambled bit. If this helped at all, I'm sorry. It was most likely bad advice.
Again, sorry if any of it was out of line/misinformed.
Good luck with the situation and I hope you don't have too much trouble with this. If you do, we're here!

Spooky, I will respond to you as a struggling Christian. :)

1.) If you aren't a member of [this particular] church, you're damned.
2.) If you are a member of the church and you leave, you're damned with no chance of redemption.
3.) Oh yeah, and if you join the church and sin, you're out.
Um.... None of these are true. People will ALWAYS have a chance for redemption - whether you stay or leave. No is ever "out" forever! It'd be mean if that was the case. :( I feel like these 3 reasons are why people think badly of Christians - though there are many, many other reasons.

The thing is, the majority of believers of this religion are legitimately great people. They live honest lives, they strive to be the best people they can be.
I'm glad you realize this. :D It's also good they are doing that. I haven't quite been like that myself, though...

So I became the model Christian teenager. The gay was the plague, abortion was a black and white issue, and fapping was a Satanic ritual.
I was like this as a young girl when I was actively going to church. Just a random fact. :P

That being said, things didn't stay so positive. After about two years of my being a testament to righteousness or whatever, the rush began to wear off, and I very quickly started to realize the implications of what beliefs I subscribed to.
This honestly happens and off to me several times. The first time I quit religion was while I was dating my first boyfriend - the one who had molested his step-sister and raped me. I had doubts. I obtained my religion when I left that relationship, when my best friend got me away from him.

Even now, though, I still falter. I still have questions, and doubts.

My father and elder brother are both non religious, though I suppose they subscribe to the general ideals of Christianity. My ten, possibly twenty closest friends are for the most part atheists -- none of them are members of my former denomination.

I believed that all these people I care about -- people whose good deeds I had witnessed firsthand -- were all going to burn in hell because they didn't agree with me. That didn't sit well with me.
As it stands, I am the only Christian in my family. My friends kind of jump all over the place - though my best buddy is devout for sure. I have the same feelings you mention in your second paragraph daily, and it seems unfair to me.

"Why should we boycott Pepsi for supporting gay rights?"
"Matt (my brother) is probably a better person than I am; why would he go to hell?"
"We're supposed to love everyone, so why do you talk about homosexuals like they're less than human?"
"The Bible was written hundreds of years after Jesus's life. Don't you think it might have been altered?
You know, these are most of the same questions I have all the time. I have questioned devout Christians several times about who should be allowed to go to Heaven or not. To me, if you live in an exclusive village and have never heard of God all your life, but lived a generally good life, then you should go to Heaven.

I personally believe in loving everyone, and I never demean homosexuals at all. In fact, it pissed me off each time Star's father called them "Sodomites" like... like... GAH. Not only that, but even I struggle with the fact that I'm attractive to girls! We are definitely supposed to love EVERYONE. Some people, especially Christians, are set in their ways for sure.

I don't think the Bible should be altered, but may be updated? I mean, how do we know that using electronics is good or bad? That was a terrible example, but still. I'm personally confused about the old testament vs the new testament. I read a passage that mentioned that basically said, "if a women is raped by a man, should should marry that man." I'm just thinking... "Why? The woman didn't choose for that happen." It seems out-dated. I've asked several people about this, and they just tell me that the old testament should not followed.

It's literally confusing.

I want to be honest, I believe because I want to go to a happy place when I die. It's stupid, but death terrifies me...

Anyway. I don't think I have any actual advice for you. I won't try and convert you back, of course. I do believe that the church you mentioned is definitely not the right to church to go. Taking a step back is actually a decent idea, and you should get your thoughts in order!

Just make sure you do what you think is best for you. *nod nod*

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.