Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Science Talk

mawk

Sponsor

because religion threads on the internet always go through the same cycle and nothing interesting gets said. we've had countless threads on religion and they all played out more or less the same way.

Actually I really think we need one o.o

Or that one wouldn't be a bad idea.

We can't police what people talk about and expect to be a good forum.

silver wind":2sc65l1b said:
if antimatter isn't matter, doesn't it prove our world is made of more than only matter/energy ?
i'm not quite sure what you're asking but antimatter is regularly made at places like CERN. antimatter rains down on us all the time when cosmic rays bump into the earth's atmosphere but it's obliterated instantly.

it's essentially just the opposite of matter, in that the protons in the atom have a negative charge and the electrons have a positive charge.

by 'world' do you mean earth or the entire universe?

Man, me and my dad has this big idea to build a space centre / science museum in Wolverhampton today.

Shame we don't have hella millions of buckaroo's.

The idea would be that at the end of it would be a full-size launch pad, with a lifesize rocket, that you go up a lift and climb into and inside is a state of the art simulator.

Imagine the experience for a kid of actually going into space.

silver wind":2x8hcbip said:
if antimatter isn't matter, doesn't it prove our world is made of more than only matter/energy ?

It doesn't prove anything because it is just a theory; nonetheless if it was found to be true then yes, it would prove our world is made of more than matter/energy; although no scientist is saying "the world is only made of matter and energy". It's hard to explain, but my advise is if you want to be knowledgable on the subject (or on the theories) to read A Brief History of Time, by Steven Hawking. It is quite concise and understandable (well, moreso than books like Shrodinger's Kittens).

Without meaning to sound like a religion vs science nutcase, it is sortof like someone quoting the messages of the bible when they haven't read it.

Going back to the space museum idea, the Leicester "National Space Centre" only cost around £52,000,000 to build. I reckon if I got a weekend job I could make that in just over 5,200 years.

I am reading a very interesting book called Bad Science.

I recommend it to everyone, if only for the lolsome things it enlightens about accupuncture, homeopathy, placebos, etc.

Ahahaha just remembered being kicked out of primary school science class.

They were teaching how solids turn into liquids turn into gas, and I said "what about Dry ice?"

They kicked me out and then had a chat afterwards about how I shouldn't confuse the other kids kinds with nonesense

A highly religious school without actually being a religious school. We were built onto a Church of England school and shared the same caretaker and everything so you know.

At the risk of going from science to history, I would say that yes, that was perhaps the problem.

Quick query - at what point does responding to something mentioned in an earlier post become necroposting for the point in question? The post itself was from sometime 2k9, so it's been a while.

Necroposting is never really an issue at all unless the post you make is spam, but in that case it's bad for being "spam" not for being a necropost. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.