Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Post Your Build!

Injury

Awesome Bro

@Dax- I would think that the latest gen i7 would have something a bit beefier than 1.7. I agree that there is more than enough RAM to go around and that your chipset architecture and CPU are going to dictate your limitations.

@Amy- How much did you end up paying for that SSD? I'm looking into getting one and just cloning this hard drive onto it. Then this system will be pretty damn good.

And to all interested I have this setup, a shitty old hp that I use as a server for a couple of older 2d games, my laptop as a file server and mobile machine, the 24" syncMaster, a 16" Gateway monitor and my 32" flat screen, xbox 360...All linked up and has (nearly) seamless integration. Windows7 and XP don't play together very well...

Keep the builds coming! I wonder what Ven has? Where has she been?

Injury":jmhgbcw4 said:
@Dax- I would think that the latest gen i7 would have something a bit beefier than 1.7. I agree that there is more than enough RAM to go around and that your chipset architecture and CPU are going to dictate your limitations.

Yes? I never said anythign to the contrary, but more in the line that clock speed is not the end all..

Additionally, it's not like recent models are SLOW. Mine is 2.4 GHz, before turbo boost, while glitch's is like 3.2 and up to 3.8. ADDITIONALLY, it's built on better architecture, more efficient, more cores, etc.

Also ram is kinda meh past 8 or 16 GB, diminishing returns + the fact that you'll never use it all unless you're in vid editing or etc.

Ah feck. I had to drop a DVD drive in order to have two hard drives (which brought some hilarious calls of IMPURITY from weird friends who say a laptop can't have two hard drives :blank: ). Thing is, I use an optical drive maybe ten times a year, to install things or back up CDs onto itunes...

...whereas I use a hard drive every time the computer is turned on.

I picked up a nice little external drive that's absolutely tiny and works, so.

My build is getting old now but I have no reason to upgrade it yet.

Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz (oc 3.3GHz) quad core, each with two threads
8GB cheapo RAM
AMD 6970HD 2GB 880 MHz, 1375MHz memory
1TB HDD
Cheapo laptop DVD drive (to fit in my case, held on with Lego and super glue)
Motherboard is a cheapo gigabyte micro atx board with a single rail GPU and a couple of spare rails for other stuff (unused)
I use an Arctic cooling fan, which is silent, my GPU fan is the noisiest thing in there when screen post processing shaders are used.

My machine gets hot enough to heat up the desk it is under, my old machine used to hit 100c frequently, this build tops at 85c with noisy-ass GPU fans.

The best part? I built this to fit inside my 1999 power Macintosh G3 blue case, I think it looks awesome but some would disagree.

powermacintoshg3-level1-1.jpg

My next build will be inside a huge Power Mac G5 cheese-grater, which originally had two PPC processors inside, water cooled, I plan to have two x86 CPUs water cooled and to use SSD disks as boot times are slowing me up. I also expect to hit the 32GB RAM point on my next build.

Injury

Awesome Bro

@X that is pretty cool! I still have my iBook G4....Alive and kicking, I hope.

I about to set up a blade server. Never will I have to store my content on my computers again! MUAHAHAHAHA

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.