Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Post what's in your kitchen

Looks good, Dax! I guess since we're posting things that aren't recipes, I'll post this here:

Got all of this at Haymarket (Boston's open air produce market) for like $13. Two avocadoes ($1), a thing of raspberries ($1), a thing of blackberries ($1), three yellow peppers ($1), three orange peppers ($1), three cucumbers ($1), two big zucchini ($1.50), two lbs plum tomatoes ($1), three lbs red potatoes ($1), a bag of onions ($1.25), a bag of carrots ($1), and four bunches of scallions ($1). Now I have to figure out what to do with all of this! I'm thinking I'll make spaghetti sauce with the tomatoes and some of the peppers and onions and am planning on pickling some of the carrots and cukes, and I got the berries to eat with my granola and yogurt.

Tindy

Sponsor

All your food looks so good, I wish I had a proper kitchen :(

This is leftovers from yesterday, sorry. Chicken and marinara penne.

pywWGKL.jpg

Ingredients are: Onion, garlic, marinara sauce (laziness, baby.), chicken and penne. And salt and olive oil, of course.

image.jpg

Steak bowl!

It also has steamed broccoli, mushrooms, and cabbage seasoned with soy sauce and ponzu and then some orange zest on top.

This is all on a layer of rice mixed with crushed almonds (water chestnuts would have been better but it was still good).

The steak sat in ponzu and orange zest for about 15min

Tindy

Sponsor

BACON

BACON SEND ME THAT RIGHT NOW D:

Today I made "Tindy's-Moving-in-Two-Days-So-Throw-Everything-in-the-Fridge-Together Rice Bowl."
Kabocha squash, broccoli, carrot, pork, soy sauce, mirin, salt n' pepper. Picture to come.

969897_10152546654981686_1399748428_n.jpg

JD's Filipino Style (Sorta') Fried Rice!

Has a mixture of corn, peas, green beans and chopped up bratwurst stir fried with white rice and special Teriyaki-based stir fry sauce. Especially good for those pesky Oh-man-I-drank-too-much hangovers.

Spoo

Sponsor

I can never get my rice grainy and not-clumpy before I fry it. Peeps have told me to refrigerate it the night prior to cooking, but that doesn't seem to do it for me. Seems I just end up with cold, clumpy rice.

I think I'm actually going to cook something soon. Some pineapple chicken tenders, maybe.

Recenlty I've made teriyaki marinade pork chops, some weird meat/steak with caramelized onions wrapped in fried flour, and various other foods. I'm only have pictures of one or two things, though, and rather low res (camera out of battery).

Spoo

Sponsor

I haven't rinsed, no.

I think I'm gonna make croquettes when I get the chance. Started looking through a bunch of cooking videos on Youtube and just found one on that and god, those look amazing. I'm also going to make carimañolas soon. Back in Spanish class we had to cook a dish from a designated country. I got Panama, so I decided to make guisado. Didn't turn out so well. Still, I love that teacher to death and I figure I need to pop in for a visit one day and show her I've learned to cook a bit.

Sauk

Sponsor

Spooky":1ls204d2 said:
I haven't rinsed, no.

I think I'm gonna make croquettes when I get the chance. Started looking through a bunch of cooking videos on Youtube and just found one on that and god, those look amazing. I'm also going to make carimañolas soon. Back in Spanish class we had to cook a dish from a designated country. I got Panama, so I decided to make guisado. Didn't turn out so well. Still, I love that teacher to death and I figure I need to pop in for a visit one day and show her I've learned to cook a bit.

Rinse until the water runs clear and then cook your rice; It shouldn't be clumpy (it's never been clumpy for me when I do this).

I find that I'm using a new rice cooker and I'm sorta unused to it. I had a p good rice cooker before and as long as I don't use too much water (and using some asian jasmine rice) it never clumps. I could leave rice in there for the entire day and it wouldn't necessarily be sticky or clumpy or etc., as long as I'm reasonable. The new rice cooker clumps easily, condenses water at one or two points, while burns another. I've little understanding of how much water to use sometimes.

Just saying, beware of the cooker.

Also I recently tried COOKING rice with like a pot because the electricty was out, and.... edible. Okay. CLUMP AND MUSH AND STICKY. Blargh.

Spooky":2ynbayoc said:
I can never get my rice grainy and not-clumpy before I fry it.
you have to rinse that shit in cold water until the water runs clear. this is sometimes a tedious task because, the more glutinous the rice, the more rinses it will take. the best way is to put it in a large pot, fill with cold water, swirl all the rice with your hands until the water is milky white, then dump water, add water, and repeat, until very little or no cloudiness forms from you swirling the rice with your hand.

often you have to do this like 5+ times. but the clearer the water, the less it'll clump.

if you want "sticky rice" you only do this once. but you generally never go without rinsing.

Spoo

Sponsor

Finally got around to reattempting fried rice. Rinsed that shit six times; turned out un-clumpy and excellent.

Carrots and peas ended up undercooked, though, so that kind of hurt the overall product. For a first attempt in a Wok, though, I'd call it all right. I'll try again next week and hopefully try out a different dish in addition. If I can get around to buying some yucca, I'm gonna try the carimañolas.

Sauk

Sponsor

Spooky":192cw35d said:
Finally got around to reattempting fried rice. Rinsed that shit six times; turned out un-clumpy and excellent.

Carrots and peas ended up undercooked, though, so that kind of hurt the overall product. For a first attempt in a Wok, though, I'd call it all right. I'll try again next week and hopefully try out a different dish in addition. If I can get around to buying some yucca, I'm gonna try the carimañolas.

Tip: steam the vegetables a bit before placing them in the wok.

Sauk

Sponsor

Currently trying to make Leche Frita. I didn't add enough cornstarch to the mixture but the batter turned out all right, though a little runny. in about 7 hours I'll fry them bitches up and see how well I did.

For the unaware, leche frita is fried milk and is coated in cinnamon and flour.
leche_frita.jpg

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons cornstarch
8 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (5 tablespoons for mixture, 3.5 to coat the Leche Frita before frying)
1/2 cup sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 full lemon zest
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
powdered cinnamon

-Combine cornstarch, 5 tbsp. flour, sugar, and 1 cup of the milk and mix well with a whisk. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
-Pour the remaining milk in a large pan, add lemon zest and cinnamon stick, and boil over medium heat. Once bubbled, add in the cornstarch mixture; stirring well. Reduce heat and stir until about nutella thick.
-Remove from heat and pour mixture into a deep dish until it's 3/4 of an inch thick (use 2 containers if you must). Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, at most over-night.
-Post-refrigeration remove batter from trays DELICATELY and cut into squares.
-apply a generous amount of oil to a frying pan and heat up over medium heat; add butter once hot.
-Dip squares into egg whites then coat with flour and add to frying pan, rotating once and cooking both sides for 1 minute.
-Dust leche frita with cinnamon and serve hot.

Fried milk? Someone's trolling you, bro.

My sister made Nigella's carbonara. "Serves 2", would have comfortably served 10... and that's no exaggeration.

Sauk

Sponsor

Okay so the fried milk was... different. I've definitely did it wrong considering I couldn't taste anything but the cinnamon coating. It was kind of a gelatin texture on the inside which I'm assuming is wrong and was very bland, but every photo I've seen of it has the exact same look about it. I'll definitely try this recipe again and see where I've made my mistakes since everyone whose had it has said it's delicious.

Overall it wasn't BAD but it also wasn't good, but I'm guessing that's just due to my inexperience.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.