Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Post what's in your kitchen

This is a thread for posting your cookins. Make sure you post recipes, and photos are also highly encouraged. I cook a lot, and I thought it would be fun to exchange recipes with other people on the forum.

Ven's Semi-Pho

This is a tasty and easy Asian soup. Unfortunately I didn't get a shot of it last night when I made it, but here are some leftovers. I used udon instead of rice noodles because I had some on hand. Her recipe is here, along with some other great tips.

Jalapeno and Cilantro Hummus Sandwich

Homemade hummus is one of the few foods that meets my criteria for taste, health, and price. It also keeps well in my backpack, which makes it good for lunch. Today's lunch consists of whole wheat pita, romaine, hummus, carrots, red onion, and cucumber. I also bought some green bell pepper, roasted red pepper, and kalamata olives for variety in future lunches. Recipe is here. I shelled the chickpeas this time because it makes a smoother hummus, but it was a big pain in the ass, so I don't think I'll do it again. This is otherwise super easy to make in a food processor.

Slow Cooker Japanese Curry

I made this a week or two ago, but since I put together a photo recipe, I'll post it here too. This is very tasty, and I think it was at least as good as some I've had in restaurants. Recipe is here. It's sort of labor-intensive but makes a ton of food and freezes well.

image.jpg

I'm not sure if I have already posted this

I enjoy baking time to time and love making cheesecake. Above is a sopapilla cheesecake. It is super easy to make and only requires 5-6 ingredients and it tastes amazing. It is basically a cinnamon cheesecakes with a crispy top much like a pie.

Sauk

Sponsor

a woman

hyuck hyuck hyuck

This thread is for exchanging recipes and commenting on recipes. Please don't spam off-topic things. ~Peri

I geez. I have one or two pics on my phones, but not particularly much. I'll be getting back to this thread soon.
Actually I might upload a pic right now.

@Daxis: Hah how funny, I actually ate duck soup today for lunch; looked very similar. Clean that cooktop! :)

@Peri: YAYYYYYY I HELPED :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning on baking about 40,000 pumpkin pies here pretty soon so I will post pics when I get to that.

I know this is for meals but I read the title wrong and felt like chiming in with what's in my kitchen: a halogen cooker. Cost £50 and it's just a big glass dish with a lid with a halogen lamp in it and it is really really good at cooking single meals (or a bit bigger) better than a fan oven. I've even baked in it and it comes out fine.

dscf2398.jpg

(Not my pic)

Replaced a toaster oven with it and there's really no comparison. It'll also cook most partially-premade stuff a good ten minutes quicker than the packet says.

Amy, I have one of those too. Recommend it to anyone!
My sister cooks her kids meals in it. It's great at cooking pizza and stuff!
I think it's best for people who are living alone/with one other person.

In regards to the actual meaning of the thread, nothing yet. I'm poor...
When I get money I'll make shit and post it and y'all will be jealous xP

Oh, huh, that's cool, Amy. I have actually never seen one of those before. Seems like it'd be more convenient than an oven. Do you have to preheat it?

Granola

Recipe:
8 cups rolled oats
1-2 cups walnut pieces
1 cup almond pieces
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup Truvia baking blend or 2 cups brown sugar and/or honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients and toast at 200 degrees for 60-90 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Makes about 20 servings. You can put whatever you want in this, like more/different nuts or dried fruit, but I decided against dried fruit because it has too much sugar. If you use honey, you may need to make a glaze with some water before putting it on.

I found my sister's cookie dough that expired last month in the back of the fridge, so I used it. Just your typical store bought cookie dough that you break off into bits. Still tastes better than the store bought cookies themselves. Not as good as Grandma's.

I made yogurt today to go with my granola. Too tired to post pictures (it has been a long day). It's not hard to do but is a little finicky and time-intensive. Basically you heat a gallon of milk to 180 in your crock pot, let it cool to 115 or so, dump in a cup of plain Greek yogurt from the store, mix it up, then insulate it with blankets or towels and let it sit for 8-12 hours. Then you put a big colander over a bowl, line it with cheesecloth, and dump the yogurt in. Let it sit in the fridge for 8+ hours, and you get some nice thick yogurt. Flavor it however you like. I'm still experimenting with flavors, but I think my favorite so far was when I added in orange juice and lemon juice. Unfortunately it diluted it so much I had to strain it again, which was a pain in the ass, so maybe next time I'll just add it before straining.

I have a bunch of whey left over now and need to figure out what to do with it. Apparently you can cook rice and stuff with it. And also ferment vegetables. I should try making some pickles, maybe. I tried pickling daikon recently and was underwhelmed, but I wanna figure this whole pickling thing out and make some tasty pickled vegetables of various sorts.

Also, my mandoline came today, and it's super cool! I can cut things ridiculously thinly now, and it came with a bunch of blades, so I can also shred and julienne things in various ways. It even has a wavy pickle cutter blade.

Venetia":1gr0d7cw said:
part 3: ven's chicken semi-pho
- heat up enough stock for however much pho you are currently in the mood for. get it to NEARLY boiling, but not totally boiling.
- drop 1-2 star anise into it while it is heating. (if you can't find it, look in the asian or mexican sections. you can also use powdered but very little of it)
- add 2 tsp of fish sauce (the lighter the color, the better the fish sauce) and 2 tsp of rock sugar (or 1 tsp of regular sugar).
- chop up (can be crudely chopped) what you like out of this list: fresh cilantro, basil leaves, red onions, bean sprouts, red peppers, jalapenos, water chestnuts, bamboo slices (canned).
- if you have any leftover shredded white-meat chicken, get that too and make sure it's good & shredded. optional.
- remove the star anise.
- toss all that shit in the stock when it gets to the right temperature.
- put in ~1lb of dry rice noodles (rice sticks). i prefer the wide kind but whatever floats your boat.
- turn off the heat.
- stir occasionally for about 3-4 minutes.
- pour a bunch of lime juice in. depends on how much you like. honestly i go with like 4 limes' worth (or a hefty squeeze from the lime juice container). i love lime.
- optionally, add about 4 heaping tablespoons of hoisin sauce (or to taste), and 1-2 tablespoons of Sriracha (or to taste).
- when all the shit in there looks fairly cooked, serve it.
- store all your veggie choppin's in the fridge for later servings.

it's good shit and shouldn't break the bank since you're reusing a lot of it.

Spoo

Sponsor

Jesus, Dax. That's a huge image.

Also looks excellent. I should try mixing my noodles with something every once in a while.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.