Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Other communities

Well MV.co declined darn quick, the admin flew off his rocker and banned/demoted most of the staff for disagreeing with him.

rpgmaker.net is the last decent site if you have a very large pair of testicles and aren't looking to get a decent amount of views due to a terrible veteran catering system that means newer devs basically don't have a chance in hell of being noticed. It's largely declined but you're unlikely to notice it if you aren't looking for it.

There's RMcentral which while flowing with content, the site has that good old sensitive sally problem that sadly hasn't been dealt with and won't be because I'm not there, and it's one of the few sites where having your own way of handling idiocy is a quick ticket to a one way out. And Rmwebs which is an entirely unshameful corporate toilet furnished with as many anti-spam security measures a website can have (which I can claim responsibility for most of which being implemented in the first place) is great so long as you don't try to think for yourself or have issues with your dis-allowance to voice your own opinion.

Most of the staff, Touchfuzzy and Archeia being the only two real exceptions, are stark raving power-crazed lunatics as well, and Celianna makes it her business to conduct daily rounds of suffering on everyone because someone didn't compliment her demonic little tail that day.

RMRK is dead and when it's not it's full of unappreciative sarcastic self-absorbed titwagons that couldn't make a game of any decency if you gave them all the ideas, money and alcohol needed. Most of its remaining members are thoroughly unpleasant to speak with, and I haven't been near that site in almost two years now.

So this funnily enough ends with HBgames being the site I actually still give enough of a shit about to post frequently on. The one site I loved beyond all others iEntry decided to unwittingly kill off and most of their profits with it, good karma.

This is it, this is my last stop.

Ooooh Monkey do tell, what happened on mv.co? I still visit there sometimes but I never got involved in the politics because I've seen it all already over here

I go to MV.co for resources.

RPG Maker Web is THE OFFICIAL RPG MAKER forums, and I like going there. Never had a problem with anything. Maybe because I'm not a trouble-maker?

I notice most people who have problems with admins/authority figures are trouble-makers lol

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

StrawberrySmiles":6z0vvwrh said:
RPG Maker Web is THE OFFICIAL RPG MAKER forums, and I like going there. Never had a problem with anything. Maybe because I'm not a trouble-maker?

I notice most people who have problems with admins/authority figures are trouble-makers lol

LOL. Not necessarily, but I did pm all the admins something like this:

Hybrida":6z0vvwrh said:
The only power you'll ever have over me in your entire life, is your administrative powers on this forum. Understand that. I'm superior to you at everything else, especially financially. Just stating the situation. Nice to meet you all.

They're 2 types of people in the world:
Those who want to be ruled, conquered, and controlled.
Those who want to rule, conquer, and control.
(Guess what person I am.)

I have never been in any real trouble at that place, but verbal arguments break out alot with me & administrators at any place... I gotta let them know who have the real power, and it's not them. Once that's realized and acknowledged, I'm an angel. :).

Edit: I even tell cops "my tax money is the only reason you're in power." Of course they just laugh, frown, or drive off.

rpgmweb makes me think of Jesus coming out of the temple and flipping tables because a place of prayer had become a place of commerce. You know, because back then they did animal sacrifices, and that particular temple was the only place where it could be performed. And people came from all over, so it just made sense to buy your sacrifice there, and exchange foreign currency with the money changers if you needed to.

Everyone just wants to do business.

I'd make a scene. But as you know, Jesus died within the week. A 3 day ban, hah. And nothing changed until the Romans destroyed the temple some time later. It was a one of a kind deal, they couldn't just build another. And that's why they stopped doing sacrifices.

RpgmakerWebs is completely fine if you aren't a troublemaker, but it's not incredibly welcoming, either.

Xilef":3s0lb5t9 said:
Ooooh Monkey do tell, what happened on mv.co? I still visit there sometimes but I never got involved in the politics because I've seen it all already over here
Gosh where to even start?

Well basically the site was going good for a while, but then something came up about the TOS being too vague (similar to the iEntry TOS scare in 2009) and virtually all of the staff except one guy and the admin are like, yo- we should change this. And the admin is like, nope! I'm too stubborn and lazy, abloo-bloo. There's literally no other reason I could see for him failing to do so, saying 'it's the default TOS that come with the site software' isn't comforting, but that was the excuse that was virtually ALWAYS given.

So Amy leaves, this is qtpi0121 amy not princess amy, and since she brought over half the site there, half the site followed, while the other admin tried to scapegoat her and say she'd stolen the members away, a point I hastily shutdown and made public knowledge wasn't the case unless it could be proven, no surprise, the thread was locked after that, after a bit more time I left another post about what had truly gone down and it got an absurd amount of approval and responses because many people were pissed off at Xyphien, a background Amy had asked them to take down (since it was her artwork) was not being taken down, and had her signature conveniently cropped out of it. And there was a bunch of other shady stuff too, and hilarious attention desperate threads like this one were made in a sorry and feeble effort to revive the site, but it will never recover, Amy is there now and then, but she's incredibly quick to state truth when the admins try to cover stuff up. I was too, until I was banned. Not even sure why, I'd been absent for over a month and don't recall saying anything malicious in any recent time, so??

This thread was also hilarious.

What I find so funny is that despite how I take it the least seriously of anyone, I seem to so commonly be at the forefront of political turmoil in the RPG Maker scene.

BizarreMonkey":23t36zx6 said:
What I find so funny is that despite how I take it the least seriously of anyone, I seem to so commonly be at the forefront of political turmoil in the RPG Maker scene.
That probably means you take it more seriously than you realise/would like to.

I have my opinions of mv.co, mostly because it seems to be exactly the trope web community that I've seen hundreds of times in the past. Even rmxp.net used to be like mv.co at one point.

I believe an effective web community is one built from experience and legacy without the goal of making money for the staff and you should never appoint staff based on voting (popularity polls) and you shouldn't aim to create micro communities (or teams) within the single community.

I will say that minor RTP edits probably shouldn't be in the resources section. The fact that there's "retro black and white" resources really annoy me (since when was grey-scale retro?) as you don't need assets to make everything black and white, it can be done in an MV Plugin. Desaturating the resources and importing them all again is a waste of time and disk space (and I bet they aren't even optimised).

Xilef":lkz1zyv4 said:
That probably means you take it more seriously than you realise/would like to.
Well I find it funny to indulge in, but as a result it ends up being one of the political fields I'm most schooled in, I knew as friends most of the Degica staff that so openly revile me now, I warned them that the path was a twisted promise, but they didn't listen.

But ah~ One of many betrayals I was gifted along the way to where I am now, I suppose. Point is I've talked to both supporters of the previous staff, those previously experienced with that staff, as well as also that staff itself-- and as a result, when it comes to RPG-maker webs, I'm pretty cluey on how their systems all work and their brand politics is shamefully predictable. It's a bureaucracy over there so it makes it pretty transparent.

Point is I got in deep with the bigwigs before degica was even around to make them bigwigs- and late 2011 I had a lot of political influence, by mid 2014 I was feared by the majority of the staff at RMwebs because whenever they sent someone to cause me trouble I sent them back in shambles, and it was most commonly some twerp buzzing me or PMing out of nowhere, which i just did fear because the place they could do such was VX.net, which the admins themselves confessed it was crazy talk to move me from the field because I loved VX.,net, I kept it alive for two years, more than that, really! The admins themself said 'lol biz basically does all our marketing and PR for us'.

A shame though, there's nothing I can do about incompetency-based iEntry system failures.

I have my opinions of mv.co, mostly because it seems to be exactly the trope web community that I've seen hundreds of times in the past. Even rmxp.net used to be like mv.co at one point.
I warned them about exclusivity from the start, but as it looks they aren't going to even last until RPG Maker Proton or whatever they end up calling the next one. And if you're talking about the layout, well if I told you that I haven't seen at least 3 other xenforo-based forums that looks nearly identical I'd be lying.

I believe an effective web community is one built from experience and legacy without the goal of making money for the staff
Agreed, though that's a recent development, I gave money to them because I belived MV.co could go places.
and you should never appoint staff based on voting (popularity polls) and you shouldn't aim to create micro communities (or teams) within the single community.
The first one was actually my idea, but I see now why that is so flawed. But then letting Xyphien have full say in it almost seems less damning, the good thing is that bit of democracy saved a lot of members face. Also it was more ideal to do that since Xyphien and Sage were both entirely new to the rpgmaker scene.

As for the latter point, both me and amy said the resource team idea was stupid, but most of these dickweeds who suggested and pleaded for it-- RMwebs was all they knew.

I will say that minor RTP edits probably shouldn't be in the resources section. The fact that there's "retro black and white" resources really annoy me (since when was grey-scale retro?) as you don't need assets to make everything black and white, it can be done in an MV Plugin. Desaturating the resources and importing them all again is a waste of time and disk space (and I bet they aren't even optimised).
I don't even LOOK at that resource section because it's a gagging abomination. But basically that leniency on the resources section and the vagueness in the TOS is exactly why almost all of the staff left when Xyphien made it clear he wasn't changing it.

Also you don't even need a plugin, you can do that with a simple tint screen event command-- It's actually that simple.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Something going on is absolutely better than nothing going on at all. A little bit of non disruptive drama is always good in my eyes. Especially when it's not initiated by me personally. (Don't have a choice here unfortunately).

Finding a good non-dull forum is recommended.

I'm in agreement, trying to entirely cessate drama is foolish.

Places get boring very quick without it. It's one of the only reasons I can see why RMN is still afloat and well.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.