Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Other communities

I'm falling out of touch.
Mainly because I don't subscribe to the popular sites of today. I don't really watch TV. Or read magazines. And I use ad blocker.
How out of touch am I? I suspected there was a new Star Wars Movie coming out due to all the Star War themed posts on facebook. But today was the first time The words "new" and "movie" reached my ears. And that was through the local news. Not like I'm a star wars fan, I can't remember the last time I went to the movie theater, but its hard to believe I'm so far from mainstream media that I didn't hear about a new live-action movie.

I just found out the new Silent Hill game was cancelled...7 months ago.

I hopped into a conversation about Rpg maker, and they were name dropping all these titles that I never heard of. Apparently they're on tumblr and reddit. Reddit? I've never explored it but I could have sworn it was just a meme factory. Oh, I found out earlier this year that Pinterest is more than just a home improvement/DIY site too, although I rarely visit it, i don't even have it bookmarked.

This is suppose to be a discussion about other sites btw.
I was going to start a topic about indie game trends. But I haven't played any recently. Or even visit other game sites to know whats happening or what people are developing.

This is pretty much the only forum I'm active on. Maybe this isn't the way to start new topics. I'm socially awkward now - but on the web. It's not suppose to look like stream of consciousness word vomit but we can roll around in it together!

edit: obviously, I could just spend sometime looking around. But I'm struggling to maintain an online presence. I don't want to neglect you guys but I don't have anything to share either, except my thoughts.

Spoo

Sponsor

If I recall, Xilef mentioned something recently about the RPG Maker community having a fairly large presence on Steam nowadays. It makes sense given that Steam is now the primary distribution platform for them.

I like it here, though.

The cost of being a busy developer dude fella is that you have to pass some things to the wayside and be a little out of touch.

I suffer from this as well, but to be frank. I don't really care much about being out of touch, like modern trends tend to just get progressively worse with every iteration.

Makes it kind of hard to give it my all.

Here, Facebook and Youtube are the only places I check every day. I have groups of friends who are right into Star Wars though, so there's no way I couldn't hear about it.

I guess if you're trying to stay up to date, Reddit would be a good place to bookmark. Just check once a day, perhaps make it one of your default webpages just so you remember to check. It's pretty much a collection of everything that's going on in whatever area you subscribe to, so it has something (actually many things) for everyone.

I don't have much to say either and I'd say I'd have much less presence than you. I'm one hell of a lurker - I think I'm up to date on every post from the last 3 years. I know what you mean when you don't have anything but your thoughts to share, but even those thoughts might give someone an interesting read, however brief.

I check...

Facebook, Twitter, a Laura Shigihara forum, RPG Maker Web, RPG Maker Net, here, Deviantart, GameDevFort, NIS Hyperdimension Forums, and occasionally NaNoWriMo forums. I'm thinking of going to other places.

I also keep a "personal" blog and maintain my gamedev team's little site. :D

EDIT: Occasionally I browse BoardGameGeek as well. Oh, plus Pixiv and PixelJoint.

The problem with Tumblr is that a lot of the projects that are popular there are popular for reasons that have fuck all to do with being good games...

I only really check out here, RMN, RMW, RMRK, and charas-project.

I sometimes visit https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=24.0
I'm not a member, I just look in their Art board to see their pixel art and WIPs.

And I very seldom visit http://wayofthepixel.net/
Again, not a member. I go there hoping to stir some motivation. I think that also explains why I seek out 2D games. I'm hoping something will light a fire in me before I give up completely. Pixel animation, I mean.

This summer I discovered http://www.thespritas.com/ hoping to learn something new. Imo, it's practically a Nintendo fan site with a little dragon ball mixed in. I fancied making my own sprite battle for a few weeks but got bored pretty quickly.

StrawberrySmiles":2qg193d8 said:
I check...

Facebook, Twitter, a Laura Shigihara forum, RPG Maker Web, RPG Maker Net, here, Deviantart, GameDevFort, NIS Hyperdimension Forums, and occasionally NaNoWriMo forums. I'm thinking of going to other places.

EDIT: Occasionally I browse BoardGameGeek as well. Oh, plus Pixiv and PixelJoint.
Can recommend rpgmakerMV.co.

BizarreMonkey":3sdidu37 said:
StrawberrySmiles":3sdidu37 said:
I check...

Maybe when I actually OWN MV. :P

StrawberrySmiles":rl8e9ln7 said:
BizarreMonkey":rl8e9ln7 said:
StrawberrySmiles":rl8e9ln7 said:
I check...

Maybe when I actually OWN MV. :P
Lol, well that's not a requirement but hihihi~! Okay.

There are no other communities.

In all seriousness, I usually flirt between one or two big sites and this one. I am on various RPG Maker forums but have yet to fall in love with one to the extent I have here. I am also a big poster on Skyscrapercity, which is a website that has evolved into various communities really, one based on my home city that is as big as this forum.

I kind of fail to get interested in more than one forum at once though so I flick between one or another, railforums, battleon forums, various RuneScape forums, etc. I'm dedicated for a period and then drift off elsewhere.

What an old thread but I'll revive it...

Honestly most communities are dying, there's no Gaming World, or Dark Dominion anymore (some of you are probably too young for those communities...)
VBulletin (what this site runs on) honestly hasn't kept up with the times, and really isn't fun to use, IPB has however. Xenforo kills it!

But, Facebook, and Reddit are basically the places to be these days...

I used to frequent maybe 3-10 sites back in the day, heck was very active on RRR while it was around, was on RM.net for awhile and I frequent it a few times a year...

Still can't believe Dark-Dominion died 13 years ago...

moog

Sponsor

Hey mystic trunks glad to see you posting again :)

But yea you're right most communitez are dead and GW is some stupid parody elitist page now that hardly has anything to do with game making

Also dd whoa what a throwback

This one time, I went to Dark Dominion. I closed it at the home page but I went there. Honest.

I remember us having a war with GamingW but not really caring.

There's also the Scirra forums for specifically Construct 2 but yeah, most of the old RPG-maker related sites are gone now.

I only really check here, Scirra, and reddit. I might be missing some but my memory can't recall if I did.

I'm sometimes on the website that BizarreMonkey recommends; I recommend too if you're dedicated to MV and not doing anything commercial with it.

It's a community made up with people who have the mindset that $5,000 is all you need from Kickstarter to complete an original game in MV - and that Kickstarter is the only option.

Generally, their users are not industry savvy in the slightest so they say a lot of naive/bizarre things. There was one guy who wanted to start a community project (nice idea, that would be lovely) and I described the problem with community projects in the past (referencing the many from .org) - and suggested a potential model to escape the problems. He decided it's best to do exactly the same thing that the failed attempts did, except he should be the story writer and he's going to spend 2 months writing a story and won't show the community the story until it's finished. Community project cancelled at the end of the week.

You'd think these are kids from their nativity, 14/15 years old, but these are working adults who are older than I am.
So yeah, I recommend that community because the members are nice, but it's a community who would hold a voting competition to see who the next moderator is.
Another thing that annoys me is they all are obsessed with making "Core" Plugins to be like Yanfly. I learned my lesson from the RMXP "SDK" days - the world does not need Core Plugins.

----

Another "community" would be theunpropro's stream. He streams some RPG Maker MV stuff, Plugin writing, that kind of thing. He's on my Steam friends list and I help him out with his JS stuff during the streams and talk about the games industry, hardware general programming, etc. My Mode7 Plugin came from a quick Steam chat with this guy when I was helping him with his minimap Plugin (was helping him and whilst doing so wrote the Mode7 test).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.