Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Not Another RPG! (Chapter 3 now released!)

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Not Another RPG!

by Silencher  

In a world known as Arcadia, the forces of the evil empire Hedgemon are conspiring to take over the world. Countless other kingdoms, towns and villages have been obliterated by the evil Emperor Shrub and his group of followers. The world is slowly dying...

...And now, Emperor Shrub has begun his quest to summon the Ancient Evil that nearly destroyed the land 1000 years ago...

Join Dahrk Fitor, a man who came from a broken home and has a tragic past, as he struggles to quell the conflict within and without. You'll seek out and find a multitude of companions to help you fight the evil emperor, save a princess and finally save the world... one crystal at a time.

singleshotdahrkjc9.png
Dahrk Fitor: A man with a dark, tragic past, he's taken up the Dark Sword to gain the power necessary to fight Emperor Shrub and his minions. Will he save the princess? Will he save the world? And will he collect 99 of every item? Only time will tell...

singleshotjungzb4.png
Jung Fitor: Dahrk's younger brother, an aspiring Dark Swordsman, he follows his brother wherever he goes. Known for chasing women, he just wants to take up the Dark Sword to attract the hunnies.

singleshotmacguffincf0.png
Princess Isabelle MacGuffin: Every RPG has to have a princess, and here she is folks, this carefree, free-spirited and beautiful girl has her eye on freedom from her father... and Dahkr. Will she get captured by the evil emperor? Probably!

singleshotbubbaol0.png
Bubba MacBeth: Although he was raised with the finest tutors and etiquette teachers, Bubba simply lacks the capacity to apply what he's learned. A long-lost friend of Darhk's, he carries a spear and uses his brute strength and 'Jump'ing abilities to slay his foes.

singleshotcuriaju3.png
Curia Purina: A local white mage and childhood friend of Dahrk and Mudy's, Curia has studied White Magic since she was a young girl. She is hopelessly in love with the clueless Dahrk and seems to be condemned to be ever-longing for his affections. She wears an ancient pendant that tends to glow and protect her when she is in danger.

singleshotmajjc2.png
Mudy Maj: Dahrk Fitor's best friend and local mage of HomeTown, Mudy is annoyed with the state of his life. Although he is able to use magic that most other's only dream to wield, he envies Dahrk for the love that Curia has for him, a love he craves.

singleshotjackdc1.png
Jack O'Treides: Jack is the leader of another group of adventures, including Sarah and Mog. They came from one of the towns destroyed by the Empire, Small Town. Jack is a Red mage, a type of mage that combines all of the magic and a bit of swordsmanship. He knows various skills, but is a master of none of them. He will appear in Chapter 2: "Got Wood?" with his group and is very overconfident, often taking risks and showing off to impress others.

singleshotsarahqk5.png
Sarah Micksen: A timid Chemist that follows Jack, she also came from Small Town and lost her younger brother and parents when the Empire destroyed the town while Jack, Sarah and Mog were away adventuring. She uses her ability to Mix items to help the group and is in charge of keeping the group healthy.

singleshotmoghs9.png
Mog: A Mog Knight, Mog was left at the doorstep of the Micksen residence and was raised as a 'brother' to Sarah. He is typically the one with the will and logic to reign Jack in when he is about to get in over his head. He longs for the companionship of other moogles, and uses his versatile Mog Knight abilities to help the group.

singleshotsprytemt2.png
Spryte: A loveable, totally rad bat that has been teleported to the world of Arcadia by an unexplainable portal. He knows just about everything there is to adventuring and fighting evil and will prove a great guide to the party, dude.

singleshotshrubte0.png
Emperor Frank Shrub: Emperor of the Dark Empire Hedgemon, Shrub is a dull-witted man with intentions of taking over the world. His rather infantile tactics in assaulting the neighboring countries are always 'touched up' by his Commander, Dexter Palm. He wants to unlock the Ancient Evil that was sealed away 1000 years ago, an idea he had gotten from reading a children's coloring book detailing the ancient story.

singleshotdexterqu7.png
Commander Dexter Palm: He's suave, he's debonair and competent. The man actually responsible for the Dark Empire's success in conquering it's neighbors, he is the one that placed the coloring book with the Emperor's jammies. Could this right-hand man possibly have aspirations loftier than sitting at the side of an idiot emperor?

singleshotacejl8.png
Ace Virtuoso: A boy of only eight, he's already learned the ancient art of 'Gray' Magic and is a master of the martial arts. He enjoys working for the Commander because he gets the chance to 'play' with a lot of his enemies. In preparation for his journey to help conquer the world, he always has a juice box at his disposal.

singleshotsorrowam7.png
Sorrow Brokenheart: A gorgeous soldier of Hedgemon and Court Magician of Emperor Shrub. Sorrow is a talented mage, who has all but mastered Black Magic. She could have any man she wants, but she fawns over the only one who doesn't want her, Commander Palm.

AMS
Guillaume777's Multi-Equipment Slots Script
Multi-Slot Shop Patch!
Level-Up Window
Diverse Battle Commands
Realistic Shop

(more coming soon)

Tips from our friendly RPG face guy will help you on your journey!

rpgtipfeatureop7.png

chap1dahrkdamagewj8.png

screenshot2xp1.png

chap1bioaj9.png

screenshot4ne0.png

screenshot5ed5.png

screenshot6kl1.png

screenshot7zu4.png

screenshot8zz1.png

screenshot9et8.png

screenshot10fe8.png

chapter2amj0.png

Jack, Sarah and Mog are now playable characters!

chapter2dfh5.png

Familiar faces from other RPGs....

Save the town from an incoming monster attack!

Cameo appearance from Stoic and Shroud from Master of the Wind!

Can you survive and bypass the puzzles in the Professor's Tower?

Branching storylines, which path will you choose?
This game does contain some adult situations, adult humor and adult language. Parental Discretion is advised.

Size: 47MB
Estimated Download Time: Took me about 15 minutes to upload...
Estimated Playtime For Chapter 1 and 2: 3-6 hours.
Enjoy.

NOTE ABOUT SAVING: You can save at Dahrk's journal in his house, any guestbook in any inns or the save baby (in dungeons/dangerous areas)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5K4KMX3Q
This game will follow the comedic adventures of Dahrk Fitor as he adventures through Arcadia, taking down cliche after cliche. It will have a 'classic' RPG feel, something similar to FF4/6 and games within that time frame and will utilize stock RTP characters and tilesets until/if I get an artist together.

The game will come out in chapters, I'm planning most of the chapters to be fairly short in length, though there may be exceptions. Generally playtime for each chapter should be expected to be 1-2 hours unless otherwise stated.

Chapters Released:
Chapter 1: Find the Princess!
Chapter 2: Got Wood?
Chapter 3: The Professor's Tower!
Coming Soon:

Chapter 4: Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Now Recruiting:

I am currently looking for an artist who does either or both battlers and sprites.

I also would love to have a scripter willing to help with this, I'm not after a lot of custom scripts, but it would be good to have someone I can ask questions of if I need to get something done within the game that involves scripting.

If you're interested just send me a PM and we can talk on a messenger.

Wow, I love it just when I thought it couldn't get anymore cliche it does ;) can't wait for more also I can't help but feel that Frank Shrub will look just like George Bush >.>.

that's the idea, about Frank Shrub's name, actually. I'm hoping to have some screenshots soon, I'm actually just working on HomeTown and the main character's sprites right now (just doing minor recoloring for now)

New Screenshots have been added and chapter 2 should be out within the next two or three weeks.

So far I haven't heard much feedback, please feel free to comment, I'm looking forward to feedback.

at least it's funny

I could make some sprites for you and maybe even a title or gameover screen,but I'm NOT the quickest artist in this forum neither the best,so don't expect too much from me.And you could make it more cliche if you used one of those really lousy RTABs;)

The demo has a couple unbalances and bugs in it, I've fixed these, I hope and I'm putting a new demo up in the next half hour or so, until then I've removed the link to the old demo.

EDIT: Also, Vanilla could you PM me your MSN or AIM screen names if you have them and we could talk about some artwork possibly?

Edit 2: Okay, new demo is up and running.

What font are you using? Apparently I don't have it, since it's not showing up when I try to play it. I'm running the legal english RMXP, so it's not a version problem.

Huh that's weird. I'll include the font in the demo, it should be: Monotype Corsiva

I had it already on my computer so I assumed everyone did. Gonna put up a new demo with the font included

Edit: New Demo is up now, with font included as well as instructions on how to install the font for those who don't know.

I just downloaded the demo yesterday. I wanted to keep playing just hear some more RPG cliche jokes (as well as those toward certain RPGs...the Phoenix Down description was nice). Keep up the good work. I can't wait for Chapter 2.

I don't know if I downloaded an old demo or if this is a problem that may need addressing, but when I tried it out, I couldn't get Curia's spells to work. A simple modification in the database could fix that.

Like I said, though, I may have just downloaded an older version.

Okay, I have uploaded a new demo, it looks like the Blue Mage script I was using was interfering with out of battle skills for some reason. I have corrected the problem. While I'm posting, I thought I would mention I added a few new characters to the Good section, take a peek if you want.

I'm still working on chapter 2, but I've made some good progress, including the beta version of a party switcher, which will allow you to switch between Jack and Dahrk's groups in one of the upcoming dungeons with the push of a button.

Please give me any feedback you have and game playtimes.

My time was a little over 2 hours. I investigated pretty much everything for items or crazy lines. My party is at level 8. About what level should we be for Chapter 2?

Honestly, Evangelion, I've mainly been working on the Script(Plot) for chapter 2 and some mechanics I need (like the party switcher), database stuff for the new members(most of which have brand new skills and some new weapons/items), and I haven't even started mapping the next dungeon and/or populated it with monsters just yet. I'm going to try to make it harder than the woods, so.. to give you some kind of an answer, I'd say if you can handle the monsters in Windy Woods, then you ought to be prepared for the next chapter.

Of course, your equipment also affects it, so when in doubt, feel free to level up a bit more.

Also, since you did finish it, I'd really like feedback. If you could send me a PM with likes/dislikes and any bugs you found, I'd really appreciate it.

The new Chapter is finally out after a long break on my part.

The new chapter features a dungeon that requires two parties to progress through in order to complete.

I'm not very far in, just about to leave the starter village for the first time, but I really love this game!

The humor is such a welcome addition, a lot of games try to force it or just aren't very good at it but the dialog in this game is truly outstanding!

I also love that you put descriptions on mostly all items in houses.

This is a little extra feature that I truly miss from old school RPGs, and its nice to see someone else missed it as well! I really like that it triggers different descriptions depending on who's in your party! The conversations are often quite hilarious!

I look forward to playing further in when I have a chance! Good luck on your project! (Though from what I've seen so far, you really don't need it!!)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.