Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

New Warning & Banning Policies!!!

Charlie Lee":3j1j6ymk said:
Why i believe that rules on Submitted Scripts could be relaxed.

How so?

- I think that this kind of forums should mainly aim at making requests and responses meet together. Beauty has secondary importance.

It's not about beauty; it's about organization. There shouldn't be active threads from 2006, if the conversation has suffered a long lapse in conversation. There is too much confusion. It's so much easier, cleaner, and it gathers better and more-informed attention, to make a new topic.

- What happens when the scripter/OP is still here and willing to answer? Has he/she to be faster than some mod that locks the thread/bans the member?

We've made this clear hundreds of times: PM a mod with a URL and we'll unlock it.
Honestly, and I'm being totally honest---9 times out of 10, the OP is inactive. And the other .9 of that last 1 in that statistic doesn't care to dredge up old topics. I'm tellin' ya, you're in the severe minority of people who will still actively answer questions on old subjects. And it's good you do that!!! But 99.9% of other OPs don't, and we have to make enforcements based on majority statistics!

It's not like it's hard or inconvenient to just shoot one of us a URL and "unlock pls".

- I personally set the email notification on the threads with my scripts, even the older ones. If someone posts questions about them in new threads it is very likely that i don't see them, and i think that i should have the more correct and updated information, it has happened that old versions have been linked as current for example...

Like I said, you're in the very attentive minority there. I think in my entire experience on the site as a mod, I've been contacted three times. That doesn't say to me that there should be a large concession in the rules anywhere.

- Sometimes i receive questions through PMs and ask people to post their question in the threads so that others can benefit from the answers and also i can keep track of FAQs more easily and update instructions if something seems controversial. Does this practice go against the rules now?

Not if the thread is open. If it's old, just shoot us a PM first and let us know that someone'll be necroposting.
It's not like we're brainless clods that only follow one mindset: RULESRULESRULESRULES. I mean we allow rulebending all the time. Just let us know first so we can give the others a heads-up, and there won't be a misunderstanding.

Now that might be a little inconvenient, but no moreso than the inconvenience we suffer from dealing with tons and tons necrospam on 99.9% of the other threads that don't deserve to be dredged up.

LOTS AND LOTS of forums crack down on necroposting. Some far more severely than we do! The bigger a forum gets, the more history it gets, the more it'll happen. So small forums seem nice and friendly and under control. It's because they're small and/or new!

Venetia":1gaq4rsq said:
It's not about beauty; it's about organization. There shouldn't be active threads from 2006, if the conversation has suffered a long lapse in conversation. There is too much confusion. It's so much easier, cleaner, and it gathers better and more-informed attention, to make a new topic.

Just for the sake of conversation (i didn't think for a minute that rules could be modified, even if maybe a longer "deadline" would be reasonable): when it comes to script threads it's usually more a matter of instructions and clarifications than a typical conversation and sometimes it's useful, even if less clean, to have all them in the same place. However, when through the updates, a system comes to be a lot different than how it was in its early days, i think that a new start is a better idea.

It's not like it's hard or inconvenient to just shoot one of us a URL and "unlock pls".
Shoot one of you... that seems interesting. :P

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question; however:

Would necro-posting be eliminated if you create an archive board of pruned posts thereby allowing all threads 'x' days old to be set to a 'read-only' state while cleaning up the main index, probably even hastening the overall speed of the forums in general?

I realize that archive management would be a chore at first, but if you create appropriate maintenance scripts that activate and manage the purge and merge sets accordingly, you could have it so that your rules are enforced by design.

You'd merely need a link to the archive boards, and a little tweak here and there to alter the search function of the boards to include the archives as well.

shadow

Sponsor

There are rare occasions where necroposting is acceptable. For example, it was your topic and you are adding useful information or when there are other valid reasons to revive an old thread.

True, I'll agree with this; however, there's also a time when threads become too old, it might be a good thing to start a new topic to clear the air.  Even if you're the topic starter, necro-posting beyond a certain point could be irksome, especially in cases where the old thread has already become fairly sizable.  A topic that runs for months, with no end in sight, might garner quite a few pages, but even if no rules are broken the topic can sometimes be seen as unsightly.

There are more sophisticated means to archiving that involve accessibility trends, activity of the author (a relationship between both of these), and so forth, but that would be going a bit far, considering the size of the website.

If an archiving system were established a fairly simplistic bi-directional transfer control panel could be established for cases where legitimate necroposting would occur.  They'd contact an admin to get approval (which Venetia already mentioned as a requirement), and the admin would revive the topic from the archive.  Should be fairly simple assuming the archive were running on a functionally equivalent version of the forum code (minus posting and Log-in capacities).

Projects and big scripts could easily - and have - gone 6 months or more before being updated by the OP, and a post being made.  It would have to require searching twice for things such as an RGSS question, once in the active and once in the archive - unless like you said, there was a teak to the search function that could match the active RGSS to the archive RGSS support forums.  If someone is going to update, I don't see the point of them waiting around for a mod to get to their report, and open their topic for them.  I say report - because I think PMs for this purpose are redundant, reports are viewed by everyone and can get done quicker in many cases.

For activity based archiving - on this site I ended up deciding not to go on the internet for 2/3 months.  For some that's a long time.  I actually lost my internet for an additional two months, if I didn't have a neighbor who let me on theirs I would've gone half a year without logging on to this site.  Coming back to update loads of projects, scripts, or resources - god knows what else, and having to report each and every one of those threads would... I'd hate it.  Especially since we would lock and delete dupe threads, it might even cause issues there.

Forget that almost any thread in the Other Hand and the Symposium can easily be posted in several months or a year later and actually not count as a necropost - though the archiving system could always neglect certain threads, most certainly would have to neglect the private forums.

Archivals work much better in other types of forums.  It can work here in a forum like ours currently is, but -and I know many of us staffers who have an idea of where the site is going, the idea differs from point to point, but it's something I don't think many of us want to go.  I'm not speaking for anyone, only myself on that one mind you.  For all I know everyone else was thinking of it, but I am only seeing problems and annoyances personally.
Though it's a good suggestion, keep 'em coming.

The specific implementation of it would vary depending on your individual needs, of course, that's a given.

Based upon what you've said, the archive system would be best suited for a tweak that would allow the original poster to reply to the topic, which would automatically revive the topic from the archive.  Granted implementing this might even be simpler than the other option, it really depends on whether you need, or more importantly, want an archive in the first place.

FAGGOT":1o229rwo said:
Someone should write a documentary about the ccoa-erk dynasty. It might be a fun read, so long as des doesn't make an influence on it and make it look like theyre were oppresive royalty (seriously they were actually kinda nice so long as you could see past that ccoa was a controlling bitch and erk was a mindless drone).

Otherwise, this is a good rule, although I think it does make the system a bit too complicated. If it were up to me it would be instant temp-ban.

How about this

Once upon a time in a planet of scripter known as rmxp.org, much people on this planet are happily to help each other until one person known as ccoa the lord of hatred and her sinister
general named erk known as the lord of terror, they ruled this peacefully planet. Chaos spread everywhere on that planet no one lives peacefully and thanks to hero he is a man with noble heart. He banish all the root of evil that surround this cursed planet and make new era of peace known as golden era ... and know most people forget about hero efforts and his name. Once again the Darkness spread into innocent woman, filling her heart with a cursed desire.  ~ To Be Continued

Please correct me if i'am wrong, i'm not good in english

iqbal_0k":ox7y2t60 said:
FAGGOT":ox7y2t60 said:
Someone should write a documentary about the ccoa-erk dynasty. It might be a fun read, so long as des doesn't make an influence on it and make it look like theyre were oppresive royalty (seriously they were actually kinda nice so long as you could see past that ccoa was a controlling bitch and erk was a mindless drone).

Otherwise, this is a good rule, although I think it does make the system a bit too complicated. If it were up to me it would be instant temp-ban.

How about this

Once upon a time in a planet of scripter known as rmxp.org, much people on this planet are happily to help each other until one person known as ccoa the lord of hatred and her sinister
general named erk known as the lord of terror, they ruled this peacefully planet. Chaos spread everywhere on that planet no one lives peacefully and thanks to hero he is a man with noble heart. He banish all the root of evil that surround this cursed planet and make new era of peace known as golden era ... and know most people forget about hero efforts and his name. Once again the Darkness spread into innocent woman, filling her heart with a cursed desire.  ~ To Be Continued

Please correct me if i'am wrong, i'm not good in english

hahaha

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.