Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

New Warning & Banning Policies!!!

Hi, there! You all may have noticed the 20pt font gracing the Request board descriptions, or that lovely bold text on the description for Submitted RGSS Scripts.

If you haven't seen them, then congrats! You're the reason why we're instating these new policies.

As of today, July 25th 2008, any posts which break the rules in Resource Requests or Script Requests will end in formal warnings.

These formal warnings not only count toward your three-strikes-and-you're-banned rule, they also mean something else!

If you get a formal warning on a Request, and then repeat that same mistake, expect a 7-Day Temporary Ban!

If you see a Request with a Formal Warning, DO NOT FILL IT until the warning is lifted!
DO NOT HELP THESE PEOPLE WHO MAKE OUR FORUMS TRASHY. We will not smile on that behavior. It's like saying, "Here ya go! You totally broke the rules, but here's a piece of cake anyway because I don't care what the mods think!". Instead, fill GOOD requests!

Additionally, I'd like to remind you all that necroposting in Submitted RGSS Scripts will give you a formal warning! Instead of necroposting, make a new, detailed help topic in RGSS Support!!!! I cannot stress this enough because it's spreading like wildfire in there recently.

FAQ

Why are you being so harsh?
It's not really being that harsh.

For YEARS mods have wasted countless hours of their time, trying to clean up the request boards. The spam in those sections makes you look bad, it makes us look bad, and it  makes the forum look like a safe haven for leeches and pirates.

A lot of those rulebreakers never contribute anything to the forum. In fact, a lot of them join only to spam the same request they'll make on all other RM boards they can find.
That kind of behavior is NOT OKAY and we want to send that message.

(You're actually lucky because if I had it my way, they'd be temp-banned on the first offense!)

Why can't I fill this request that has a formal warning?
Don't let people think that this kind of behavior is acceptable.
If a kid was stealing the money out of your wallet, would you turn around and give him a few bucks just because he thrusted out his hand?

I don't think this is fair! / I didn't know about these rules! (excuses)
Well, there's a:
- Announcement here about it.
- LARGE notice on the forum description.
- A notice in the News Ticker.
- Rules posted everywhere (even ones that say, "Look at me!")
- About 3? years of moderators tolerating this behavior with informal warnings and locked topics.
- Following the rules is SO EASY and it actually nets a BETTER PRODUCT!! Trust me!!!

You want to know what's not fair? Pirates and leeches wasting moderators' and artists'/scripters' time.

B-but I don't speak good English!
Too bad! There are lots of people on this forum who don't speak English well, yet THEY manage to get their points across!

Why can't we necropost (i.e. post in an old, outdated thread) in Submitted RGSS Scripts?
Lots of reasons:
- Necroposting makes the forum look crappy.
- A lot of times, the OP (original poster) is no longer around to answer your question.
- Links get broken with time. Deal with it.
- Most necroposts (like, 90%) don't actually provide ANY relevant material at all (i.e. "good job" or "link is down").
- People are more likely to help you with a new, fresh topic, than one from 2006.
- We warn for necrolovers so don't do it!

Anyway, that's it. I'm sure all you beautiful people who take the time to read Announcements won't be affected by these policy changes at all, but it doesn't hurt to try and get the word out. :)

Have a wonderful day.

I think Recruitment is actually seeing a different version of the problem.  So many people are coming in from forums with much laxer posting standards is the main thrust of it.  Most genuinely try and correct their posts and we rarely have repeat offenders.  Yet over on the resource requests I've seen the same few users constantly post bad requests, despite being told by staff not to, and there are a few users who are for some reason that escapes me filling those bad requests.

Rare

Luminier":16ukgedm said:
have these new policies been put in place to cover up the fact that we've been hacked and our banner vandalized????

its all propaganda and conspiracy.

why do you think a lot of people have down syndrome on this site..........

because rmxp.org made them that way

I think ccoa broke into Venetia's house, tied her up in the basement, hacked into her account and now tries to reestablish her powerhold on .org... Someone really should have a look.

Anyway, it's probably a good thing to become a little more harsh, I die a little inside whenever I see a request like "hey all i wan a scrip that make doors for houze".

Rare

Doctor":1l8iq4rp said:
I think ccoa broke into Venetia's house, tied her up in the basement, hacked into her account and now tries to reestablish her powerhold on .org... Someone really should have a look.

Anyway, it's probably a good thing to become a little more harsh, I die a little inside whenever I see a request like "hey all i wan a scrip that make doors for houze".

its not ccoa..the post is missing around 100 words that the general population doesn't (and shouldn't) know...in addition to a constant undercurrent of narcissism, darkness, and desperation.

oya and its missing shades :D  and lots of ...things like...certain characters...uh i dont wanna say the word here

Untra

Sponsor

Someone should write a documentary about the ccoa-erk dynasty. It might be a fun read, so long as des doesn't make an influence on it and make it look like theyre were oppresive royalty (seriously they were actually kinda nice so long as you could see past that ccoa was a controlling bitch and erk was a mindless drone).

Otherwise, this is a good rule, although I think it does make the system a bit too complicated. If it were up to me it would be instant temp-ban.

I just LOVE it when she yells! Great Ideas once again from the staff.
But it doesn't feel fresh for some reason... did you already have temp-bans?
Oh well.
FAGGOT":842lfe1b said:
Someone should write a documentary about the ccoa-erk dynasty. It might be a fun read, so long as des doesn't make an influence on it and make it look like theyre were oppresive royalty
Nice idea....

-Lonelyelf

Rare

Someone should write a documentary about the ccoa-erk dynasty

a long time ago this was a good site...it then became mediocre.

then treg stole the kingdom ... and raped all the women and children

a few short seconds later this great site was born.

was that good enough?

FAGGOT":36scwco6 said:
Otherwise, this is a good rule, although I think it does make the system a bit too complicated. If it were up to me it would be instant temp-ban.

Venetia":36scwco6 said:
(You're actually lucky because if I had it my way, they'd be temp-banned on the first offense!)

Trust me. I wanted to use blunt-force-trauma. It was pushovers like Des and Sophie and Lum who thought differently

(yeah the tables were definitely turned on that one)

Why i believe that rules on Submitted Scripts could be relaxed.

Venetia":15vznegh said:
Why can't we necropost (i.e. post in an old, outdated thread) in Submitted RGSS Scripts?
Lots of reasons:
- Necroposting makes the forum look crappy.
- A lot of times, the OP (original poster) is no longer around to answer your question.
- Links get broken with time. Deal with it.
- Most necroposts (like, 90%) don't actually provide ANY relevant material at all (i.e. "good job" or "link is down").
- People are more likely to help you with a new, fresh topic, than one from 2006.
- We warn for necrolovers so don't do it!

- I think that this kind of forums should mainly aim at making requests and responses meet together. Beauty has secondary importance.
- What happens when the scripter/OP is still here and willing to answer? Has he/she to be faster than some mod that locks the thread/bans the member?
- I personally set the email notification on the threads with my scripts, even the older ones. If someone posts questions about them in new threads it is very likely that i don't see them, and i think that i should have the more correct and updated information, it has happened that old versions have been linked as current for example...
- Sometimes i receive questions through PMs and ask people to post their question in the threads so that others can benefit from the answers and also i can keep track of FAQs more easily and update instructions if something seems controversial. Does this practice go against the rules now?

I understand that in most cases necroposting is simply useless spam but i think that in this specific board some extra-considerations, like the above ones from my experience, could be taken into account.
Thanks for reading.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.