Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Improvement Thread 4

Got to copy link address, paste directly instead of clicking the links, unfortunately. But then it works. I think your maps look excellent. Great layout, great amount of detail for the style. Be careful how much of a world you're committing yourself to filling with life, though. How many people do you think were involved in programming the crowds that move through Assassin's Creed games? Adding little side quests, writing dialogue, placing all the little treasures and secret locations? It will take you the next decade to produce anything of that scale on your own.

I have done some maps for my new game I would like to get feedback on Before I decide to go with them as they are:

2na09xj.png

2iu35j.png

This MIGHT be the wrong topic, but I would like to get feedback on how the Sunbeams (fog) and the location sign fits in with the rest and if you Think it looks good.

The tileset on the first one needs color correction. The brown is too dark. The shadows from the trees are actually lighter, or I should say white-er.
The Sunbeams are a solid color. It would look better if you used a gradient. And soften the edges so they aren't so jagged.
For the second map. You're not using the floorboards correctly.

Is the text part of the location graphic? Or floating over it? It would look better if the text was centered and instead of black and white you used a dark brown to go with the wood panel but still be readable. It would look even better if it was engraved into the wood. But technical issues aside, it's kinda plain. Don't you want to use Norse motifs for TSK2?

coyotecraft":27tqihzp said:
The tileset on the first one needs color correction. The brown is too dark. The shadows from the trees are actually lighter, or I should say white-er.
The Sunbeams are a solid color. It would look better if you used a gradient. And soften the edges so they aren't so jagged.
For the second map. You're not using the floorboards correctly.

Is the text part of the location graphic? Or floating over it? It would look better if the text was centered and instead of black and white you used a dark brown to go with the wood panel but still be readable. It would look even better if it was engraved into the wood. But technical issues aside, it's kinda plain. Don't you want to use Norse motifs for TSK2?

You mean the grass color? I could change that. The thing with the Sunbeams, I was thinking of using a Picture in the top left corner instead (because I have seen that) and it's more realistic if it actually follows the player (sunbreams do) dont you think?

Specify exactly, is it that I use different floor tiles(because I want to have different floor in different rooms). The locations ign is just a normal Picture, so I don't know how I should "engrave" them in the Wood, as it's just normal text being written above it, but I could just go with a "runestone" or anything showing the location text since I am basing my story on norse mythology.

Where did you get the tileset from?

The spacing is ideal. But it's lacking unity. The color of the bricks. The different colored houses.
I'm pretty sure the white house should have a brick bottom matching the brick used on the roof. At least a tile high or used as an entire wall annex thing. The windows should sit comfortably between the beams along the top and the stone ledge.
The lamp posts don't look like they go on that floor, in fact the brick edges make the post look a little curvy.

That's pretty damned nice. It never occurred to me that that's where the curtains would be used - they certainly don't match up with any Windows.

Spoo

Sponsor

PQGiPtf.jpg

I'd like to make the clearing a little more natural, but the tileset I'm using at the moment is lacking in anything that is both fitting and unobtrusive. Also, the lighting effects bring out the terrible contrast in the tree shadows. Dunno how to fix that yet.

Spoo":6aodt73e said:
I'd like to make the clearing a little more natural, but the tileset I'm using at the moment is lacking in anything that is both fitting and unobtrusive. Also, the lighting effects bring out the terrible contrast in the tree shadows. Dunno how to fix that yet.
Don't forget about those little grass thingies. The ones grouped by 1, 2, 3 and 4. Maybe 5 depending on the tileset.

yeah some more flowers or scenery will really perk it up; you are already using the red flowers, use more of those. add more rocks and little bushes. really take it to the next level.

some of the diet path areas don't make sense. the dirt path is created from lots of walking traffic, right now it's just dusted on your map to break up the grass. but it doesn't have any purpose, I don't understand why some dirt path would be where it is. I would also suggest making the path a little thicker.

trees are nice.

yeah I'm not a fan of the screen tint either. less blue. rainy days detract color not makes it blue. (unless it's night time then I understand where that blue is coming from)

the waterfall and where it ends makes little sense imo. I would just widen the lake where the water falls.

nice map spooky. nice trees good start.

also this is just preference but for the indoor map, I would just auto tile the ceiling over where the curtains are. just have one big line of roofing and then players can just walk under it?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.