Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Improvement Thread 4

Spoo

Sponsor

Yeah it's supposed to be a nighttime sentimental moment of reflection or some such crap; that was the idea in my head anyways. I'm gonna try to tweak the tileset a tad to 1.) Fix the too-dark shadows and 2.) Add some alternative to dirt to break the monotony of plain grass (for some reason whoever combined this tileset opted to make the tall grass a full tile on top of default grass rather than have the edges be on layer two). As for the waterfall, I don't have much justification. In some corner of my head it made sense to say the lower pool went down into an underground stream or something, but, uh...

I think I will also experiment with other default ground autotiles to see if anything looks good. It's been a problem with me for a while mapping forest areas because my frame of reference in real life is limited to the deciduous forests I live around, all of which are and have been covered in leaves and/or foot traffic for centuries now; there's nothing but dead leaves and dirt on the ground so a forest with an abundance of grass just looks wrong to me. Mind, this is more a personal struggle in mapping than a justification of my mistakes -- it's part of the reason I feel much better about my swamp maps than forests.

Also bacon I really dig that suggestion you gave about the interior; it looks a lot better, and walking around in the map feels deeper(?) now.

KJYdaVS.png

StrawberrySmiles":2srcpiqg said:
It's a bunch of RTP resources put together. Well, they *said* RTP.

I don't think I know what I'm doing. D:
Half of those I recognize from Mack's chipsets while another bunch are Celianna's pirate tiles.

Who ever said they were RTP was lying out their teeth. Not many are even RTP style.

IMO just throw your own chipset together by grabbing RTP stuff from the game source folders and recoloring to suit your needs. That can look really attractive when done well.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.