Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Forum Switch Preview

EJlol

TREG;308352 said:
Er, more accurately it becomes one usergroup with the privileges assigned to sponsors. The new price for sponsorship will be set at $15.

So it's cheaper for me if I upgrade now to subscriber and then let me freely upgrade to sponsor?:eek:

I never knew Ccoa was 39... How old is the treggers?

I'm gonna have to subscribe some time. I never have the money, or when I do, I spend it :(.

Anonymous

EJlol;308605 said:
So it's cheaper for me if I upgrade now to subscriber and then let me freely upgrade to sponsor?:eek:

yes it would be! and that goes for everyone, actually. feel free to shower us with your $7.50 because in the end everybody wins.

Personally vBulletin is the best forum software out there. But customizing it and making it work is not as user-friendly as some others, but it's still good.

On the other hand, though switching to SMF would not be a bad idea, seeing as how SMF is growing better with every .1 feature. But the management shouldn't just throw away this vB license :P (Hopes they give it to Lip XD)

Functionality trumps aesthetics! I never even bothered to change from the default skin.
My vote's on getting the site functioning smoothly, and fixing the wiki, ftp, email, etc... for what it's worth...

TREG, welcome.

shadow

Sponsor

Link in Pink;308677 said:
...But the management shouldn't just throw away this vB license :P (Hopes they give it to Lip XD)

The VB license belongs to Erk, and soon will be no more. This is the #1 reason for the switch.

Elias;308692 said:
Since when does he have a fruity name like that? Man...where do people come up with this crap...

idk, my personal favorite is treggles :3

Can someone confirm the ability of blogging with SMF? It wasn't answered, and Rye inferred asking this before, as well.

Rye said:
I hope we still have the blogs on the new forum, cause I really enjoyed that feature.

Anonymous

POSSIBLY not at first, i'm not sure. it depends on if we can find one and get it configured in time (anyone who wants to help us look for blog modules for smf is more than welcome :3). very likely we will have one after a while, though, if not at startup.

One great thing about SMF is the modules...if there isn't one currently, it's actually (if you have the know how, of course) not that hard to create one for your needs.

I'm a big fan of SMF, and welcome this change, as it's virtually identical to vB, without the insane cost.

But to preemptively get the question... Considering that it's a plugin for SMF covering the same thing a plugin for VB covers, most likely there will not be a transfer of blog material to the new site, even if there is a blog function at first. So I suggest you be careful and save what you want to save in the probable case that it doesn't get transferred over.

Anonymous

yeah chances are we won't be able to transfer BLOG DATA. forum data etc. isn't a huge deal but it might be harder from blog software to blog software considering they are usually kindof different. backup what you think you might need - projects, etc.

also in the last like six minutes i found that it's possible to integrate SMF and WordPress, so if we can figure out how that works and if it's easy to do then chances are we'll have blogs covered! most exciting.

To the People In Charge (Hosts & MODS):

I want to say thank you. For keeping this site going and investing in a plan that will continue to keep it going.

To Everyone that was Crying:

What is your problem? Some of you sounded like you were demanding things. We all use this site, but it isn't ours. If they want to switch something over because it will be better overall, then that is their choice. And you should just be glad we have this site, I'll tell you none of the other communities I've seen compare. But this place is still a free service for us - so what are you complaing for. The managment here even takes the time to tell us about whats going on, do you think most sites do that? If after the switch, you honestly don't like it, leave. But give it a chance.

Anyway, I'm excited for something new, I think it'll be fun.

Anonymous

to be fair, all demands and complaints ARE noted and taken into account. we like complaints and criticisms and all that good stuff so long as nobody's HOSTILE about it.

and with that,

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7052/shadydp5.png[/img]

we added a white backdrop to the forum index and threads so it feels more familiar to you guys. next update will include a shot of threads, but they're still kindof buggy right now. more updates soon!

At first, when I first saw the preview in IRC, I had thought the white would be a bad pinch to throw in, but now that I've seen some improvements along with the white it does honestly appear a bit more welcoming. Which is probably the familiarity of it all, as mentioned.

Nicely done thus far, keep up the good work peoples.

One thing I really just love about this place is how organized it is. I used to go to the Creation Asylum (dubleaux.com) for all of my RPG Maker XP stuff, but when they switched servers the forums now look messy, they're not too well controlled, and the resources aren't half as good as they are here.

Also, it's almost all about the program, so I don't have to wade hrough all of the other useless junk to get to it. I love this site, and the new switch to SMF will make it even better ;)

Mac

A question about this...are you taking the mysql from weeks back and letting members repost or are you doing that for the test then using the latest mysql to update it?

Stupid suggestion, but one I've seen others use.

Why not just close the site for x amount of time (if it takes a day to transfer let say, just prior to that close). Back up from there, and transfer that. Nothing will be lost, or at least nothing should be lost. Or is that not possible and I'm just ignorant?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.