Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[Ended] RMXP.org Tried Democracy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is just an experiment guys, it's not permanent. don't worry.

we're trying to get some confidence in people instead of push them away, and show them that we DO listen to feedback. so just roll with it ;)

The average person filling out that form doesn't know anything about 70% of the boards they're voting on mods for, let alone who's knowledgeable about the subject matter or whatever. I mean, I guess it's interesting to see what happens, but honestly, the staff roster is most likely going to end up looking very similar to what it is now except with people shuffled around in a less optimal fashion.

If you ask me, a better way to do this is to have some kind of mod suggestion feature where people can nominate people they see being especially helpful around the forums, except it would never be used ever. Better yet, make a thread and take input from the userbase when it's time to promote a batch of people or something.

Aelous

Perihelion":19qeawjg said:
The average person filling out that form doesn't know anything about 70% of the boards they're voting on mods for, let alone who's knowledgeable about the subject matter or whatever. I mean, I guess it's interesting to see what happens, but honestly, the staff roster is most likely going to end up looking very similar to what it is now except with people shuffled around in a less optimal fashion.

If you ask me, a better way to do this is to have some kind of mod suggestion feature where people can nominate people they see being especially helpful around the forums, except it would never be used ever. Better yet, make a thread and take input from the userbase when it's time to promote a batch of people or something.

Okay, to add on to this you should also have a forum where people can ask to remove current mods based on their behaviors or something. Depending on how many people ask for the same mod a decision should be made. (This is just a suggestion from an innactive noob so... lol)

This is an experiment.  We're trying a new method to see if it works because it's been suggested.  It hasn't been tried before, so we really can't say what the results will be.  Just roll with it for now.  I know some of you don't think this is a good idea, but we've discussed this thoroughly, and we've made sure that everything will run efficiently.  Please, at least give this experiment a chance.  If the new staff starts messing up or doing a poor job, feel free to bring it up, but we haven't even seen what the new staff is going to be yet.

A suggestion feature is an interesting idea, but such a thing would probably be abused.  Every time someone helps a new member, the new member will suggest that person as a moderator.  I can see us being flooded with suggestions to the point where we won't give them much consideration.  A removal feature would work, but we're aware of what most of the staff members are doing.  If you experience a particular problem, you can always use the Report to Moderator feature to inform us or PM one of us.

While there was a few people pointing out this idea, was it really asked that much O_o? I enter the forum and see this - wtf?

Well, guess it can't hurt to try it out. Although there are only that many people highly active, and most of the them are (were) allready where they should be.

When I have more time I'll check out the availible options, I guess...

Venetia":1cakt37r said:
@ Aelous: well that just sounds like a round table of negativity from people who don't frequent the forums very often.
I concur with that, which is why my proposed system doesn't have a "whine Despain is being a faggot ban him" feature.

@Guardian: I personally think a mod suggestion feature would be used even less than the current suggestion feature (which is used not at all insofar as I know), but it would appease the masses or something. I think a thread around mod promotion time is a better way to do it, though. And there wouldn't be voting or anything; it would just be members pointing out people whom they've seen be especially helpful, and if there's someone mentioned a few times that the staff missed, they can take it into consideration.

I know this is just an experiment and etc., but it's such a horribly inefficient way to do it. I also don't like the way the voting works; there needs to be more space for multiple nominations, and the inclusion of a form encourages people to vote for forums they don't give a damn about or know anything about.

But seriously, for all of the bitching from a few irate irregulars, the userbase does not have a better idea about how to run the site than the administration.

Okay, how about this: Only Sponsors and members who have been active for more then a year can vote. After all, sponsors at least contributed something material for this site to keep going, ie: MONEY. And long standing members because they are not just ass-hats who have just signed up and started bitching and moaning cause they are freaks or emo's.

And I know that's a run-on sentence.  :tongue2:

The main problem with that is how to figure out who's been active for a year.  Someone could have been registered since 2007 and just started posting in the last month, so there really isn't any way to determine activity short of going through all of their posts.

Chromaticed":3btz4a8b said:
Fuck Democracy

No seriously why are we doing this? What is wrong with the current administration?
Nothing is wrong with the current administration.  This is just an experiment.

The Guardian":1kbomore said:
The main problem with that is how to figure out who's been active for a year.  Someone could have been registered since 2007 and just started posting in the last month, so there really isn't any way to determine activity short of going through all of their posts.

Chromaticed":1kbomore said:
Fuck Democracy

No seriously why are we doing this? What is wrong with the current administration?
Nothing is wrong with the current administration.  This is just an experiment.

So then just let us sponsors vote. >=D

Cerulean Skye":r50pnlsv said:
Okay, how about this: Only Sponsors and members who have been active for more then a year can vote. After all, sponsors at least contributed something material for this site to keep going, ie: MONEY. And long standing members because they are not just ass-hats who have just signed up and started bitching and moaning cause they are freaks or emo's.

And I know that's a run-on sentence.  :tongue2:
Uh,how bout sponsers and members that have been around at least for 6 months vote?  Anyway, This seems like a nice little expiriment, and its actually going better than I ever expected.  I think its mainly because of your rules,that's why it's going so well.  Good luck to all the nominees!

Oh, and also:
Moderators
Wyatt(RGSS Support)
SephirothSpawn(RGSS Support & Script Analysis)
Missingno(Completed Games(Yeah,ya'll probably think I'm insane for this))
Dargor(RGSS Support & Script Analysis)
Venetia as Global Mod
The Great Terror(Admin)
Guardian as Global Mod
Luminier as Global Mod
Chimmy(Project Forums)
J.D Slasha (Project Forums)

why do I feel like I forgot someone?  Oh yeah!:

Tachiba as Administrator Just kidding!

Honestly, I don't really see anything changing from this experiment. The average member either doesn't really know most of what the staff is doing or does not yet know what to base their decision on, and will either vote for a pre-existing staff member that is assigned to a similar position (lets say 50% do) or a random member that they seem to think has posted a lot (lets say 50% do again). Since there are less staff members than average members, the votes will be split more between different active members than the current staff.
I understand this is an experiment, but my prediction is that really nothing will change.
(If the system was in effect for a longer period of time, the members would become more confident and have had more time to look for potential candidates and then you might see some type of change in the staff line-up. I'm not exactly sure it would be better though...and that would be too much of an experiment)

Anyway, enough whining from me. I'll just send my vote and see how things play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.