Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dark Outlines

Here is another example of a commercially-released and professional game that uses the same dark outline:
http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlig ... 4/dc2b.jpg[/IMG]
(Dark Cloud 2 for those not familiar with it).

It's a cartoony style that's appealing to some audiences, but not to others. It largely depends on the rest of the graphics used and how well the characters integrate. But, the style is considered easier for some as it allows cartoon-like animation - ie facial expressions etc - without long hours of coding and graphic developing.

I like what you've done a lot, and the dress on Bjork is just so adorable! Just keep workin' on it :)

Just thought I'd drop my 2 cents. The dark outlines are good. I've played with them, but my game is more serious. I know you can have dark graphics with outlines I just don't have the knack for it.
BTW- Your sprites are amazing. I'm looking for a fresh style for the second chapter to my game Sacrilege...hint hint... -
Anyway. Great stuff, hope to see more.

Sorry for calling you a female- your spriting style seemd girly. No offence. Your avatar looks like a girl too. Hah.

Kest said:

that uses the style yes but not the attitude...

Here is another example of a commercially-released and professional game that uses the same dark outline:

(Dark Cloud 2 for those not familiar with it).

It's a cartoony style that's appealing to some audiences, but not to others. It largely depends on the rest of the graphics used and how well the characters integrate. But, the style is considered easier for some as it allows cartoon-like animation - ie facial expressions etc - without long hours of coding and graphic developing.

I like what you've done a lot, and the dress on Bjork is just so adorable! Just keep workin' on it
Today 06:25 AM

same. i am not saying it is not professional quality, ts just it doest make me think hmmm thats proffesional, because of the attitude.

i hope you didnt think i was calling your work bad.

Gmanjudo said:
that uses the style yes but not the attitude...

What do you mean by "attitude"? The facial expressions? Because those are present in both Legend of Mana and Dark Cloud 2.

In fact, Legend of Mana is a perfect example of how professional the style can be because it's one of the more popular games for Playstation. Also note that the sprites that Spritenite made would fit into that game exactly as they are - ie cutesy with facial expressions and all.

See another image of Legend of Mana here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Legend_of_Mana_PSX-1.png

Just because you don't like the style doesn't mean it's not professional, because a few games out there use it successfully.

@ Kest: I've never play LoM, but it's gorgeous, and I'm glad to see some of the SoM charas are still around (rabbite!)!

@ Big Billy: You want a finished template? I'll try to put my mind to finishing one sometime soon.

@ Cortez: I'm not insulted, but... Your avatar looks like a boat. Should I expect you to sail the seven seas? And my avatar IS a girl. =D

@Gman: I'm not insulted by you either. I am interested though. What do you mean by "the attitude?" Is it the coloring, or the fact that their hair is enormous? =P

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.