Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dark Outlines

How many people actually use them? I always used to think it was either rm2k rtp or just a spiter's faux pas thing, but since I played Paper Mario, I actually think it's kind of cute if used appropriately. =) I tried it out on a couple of WiP sprites and threw together a before and after line-up. The blonde girl has a no-outline, a partially outlined, and a full outline. Also, whoever guesses who the lady in white is supposed to be is officially cool. :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/s ... ne-up2.png[/IMG]

UPDATE: Even though this is supposed to be about the outlines and ot the sprites, I thought I'd post this. I recolored the blonde (her name's Clair) and added little round shadows. I also redid the skirt a little to be closer to the actual chara-concept. =)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/s ... /line3.png[/img]

These are so cute! ^_^
I'd like to ask you what template did you use to sprite them?
Anyway, the dark outline is perfect. It suits these templates (sprites) perfectly. But, as far as I have seen, it doesn't suit every sprite template. :)

I made the template except for the eyes (which I kind of... Borrowed). =D I still haven't finished the sideways poses. And I know what you mean. The rm2k rtp sprites all had black outlines, but I thought they were kind of... Blah. Maybe it was the colors.

$t3v0

Awesome Bro

I find dark outlines to be quite eye pleasing. After using them so much with Apparition and my RTP-remake, they've grown on me.

~ $t3v0

Danny

Sponsor

I generally think that for your spriting made RPG for things like rmxp and gameboy games, hell even playstation games, that dark outlines always work best.

I tryed it the first time because I remembered someone saying they're good for making the sprites pop and stand out from the background. I'd say they were right, because the shoes especially on both sprites and the skirt on the first one look a lot less faded with the outline. Btw, the first sprite is supposed to be Bjork (a singer from Iceland; she's my favorite).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1240000/i ... ork150.jpg[/img]

I think the sprites are great. But in terms of an outline, you might want to try an even darker and thicker one, and maybe around the entire sprite instead of the hair. Look at this.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5355/outhb7.png[/img]

It might just be a personal thing, but I love the look of that. If you can do something like that to all your sprites, you'll have a genuine personality to your game!

Haha omg it's Bjork! :D That's so cute (she's a fav singer of mine too). I dont think you really need the outline. I mean it's nicer on the lighter one because it makes it more defined but in the end I'm not sure you'll need it on them with a proper background. But of course I'm an outline-abuser myself when it comes to actual drawing so who am I to talk? :P

But woe Cortez I think your outline is way too thick! It might be just preference but I just find it a bit too much. *Shrug* It kinda reminds me of little kid's stickers of cartoons. :)

Anyway these are really cute and a nice style. It'd be nice to see them in action.

But woe Cortez I think your outline is way too thick! It might be just preference but I just find it a bit too much. *Shrug* It kinda reminds me of little kid's stickers of cartoons.

Well, it's actually a double-outline in some parts (because I built it on top of her outlined version). I was just trying to illustrate the way an outline can be used around the entire thing.

An example is an image in a signature I saw on these very forums. Someone had a rabbit in his or her sig, and it was swaying- the entire thing had a beautiful outline that I think was such a great example of this style.

Oh that's adorable, Cortez! Really unconventional, but very cute!... And ummm... I'm a guy. Go ahead and make your own assumptions on my dating preferences, because whatever they are they shouldn't be far off, lol.

An example is an image in a signature I saw on these very forums. Someone had a rabbit in his or her sig, and it was swaying- the entire thing had a beautiful outline that I think was such a great example of this style.

You maybe refering to TheBlackMarket's signature(great pixel artist)
http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/ ... e_idle.gif[/img]

Those look really good Spritenite. Hope you stay with this style though... seems you are jumping around a bit :p

You're right. It's the reason I've never even gotten close to finishing a project. I'm too fickle to stay with one set of graphics. =/ I start something, think it's nice, see something else, and hate whatever I've already gotten done or see something else wrong with it. Everyone seems to like this one though, and I have found that it's not too hard to work with, so I may just start cranking out some complete sprite sets soon. =P

I love that rabbit btw. I'm a big fan of simple shading, and I can never quite get it down without adding a whole bunch of other crap (which makes making entire charasets VERY difficult for me to set my mind to doing).

Rare

Yes.. that seems to be very paper mario like ^.

I really like the style, especially if your doing that kind of game. I prefer thinner not so dark lines myself.

these characters look very good, top notch of the fan comunity, but i couldnt say proffesional game looking... i dont know why. proffesional games dont use that style and that additude of charicter i quess. Btw this comment is not a bad thing, it means you are very original, well... i like the style and good luck with it. hope you release that template btw.

I wish I could figure out how to make them look more professional-looking. The best way I've figured is to shade the hell out of them, but it's just so tiring that I never finish what I start. They look nice, but they're really impractical.

LoM was so kick ass lol.

Yeah the dark outlines are the shit and the sprites look extremely well done. I prefer them myself, but I don't use them as effective as you do.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.