Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Aedemphia

Aedemphia: DEMO FINALLY AVAILABLE!

This is going to be weird because my criticism is with what the original creator has done, and not the translator. Nevertheless,

The game is very pretty, at least the maps are incredibly impressive. The character designs in my opinion have a dull generic fantasy aspect to them. Not to mention the color schemes for most of the characters is blue, brown and green, without much variance from that. That's the smallest of problems. Sylvanor definitely put a lot of love into this project and it shows, but he still needs to work on his anatomy and shading. Characters are pillow shaded, or have a very dull contrast in their color schemes between lights and darks. Which is strange since the production art has slightly better contrast. In fact, I wonder if the tileart really was done by Sylvanor, or if he hired someone else to do the characters.

The art in the cutscenes, character art and production art is not consistent with the character art. The tilesets have lucidly cool colors overlaying complex backgrounds with bright lights and lots of pastel-like layered detail. The character art is flat, slightly abstract and anime-ish in the cutscenes. The backgrounds blur together beautifully and believably, yet the character and cutscene art is so sparse and dry. Lastly, text in cutscenes goes by far too quickly, and should be replaced with the ability to move forward at the player's leisure or lengthened.

Speaking of cutscenes, while they're technically impressive the level of detail is very inconsistent with the tilesets. Characters move with an awkward stiffness, especially noticeable in the opening cutscene. It reminds me of an early Lucasarts adventure game but drawn by a beginner. The anatomy is alright, but the characters, again, are very stiff and broad. Shots are cluttered and could be better. If you're going to have a cinematic style and use cutscenes in this manner then better shot choices that lead the eye, are properly balanced and have a good use of positive and negative space is a must. Which, again makes me think the background artist and lead artist are different people because the backgrounds are extremely well balanced.

Moving on, the character art (in game, on the maps and in battle) are horrible. No shading, no smoothness in animation or tone. Very bland and stiff. And I can't believe whoever made this also made this. The menu art is gaudy and hard to read, usually cluttered with too much text. The font should be something less flowery that can work with the limited detail allowed in the game. Even the most fantastic of games uses simple and easy to read fonts. And with a game as text heavy as Aëdemphia that is very important. Furthermore the text in the cutscenes is hard to read. It's anti-aliased and large. If it must be anti-aliased, a black border should surround them so as to distinguish light letters from light background colors.

Lastly, the story is godawful, which is sad since a lot of effort obviously went into this game. The story begins with a story about a girl and her ruined homeworld, then becomes a story about this girl in a war of some kind, and finally the girl waking up in a strange place. That's three separate stories in the span of the first 10 minutes of the game. Each of which has enough character growth and backstory that it should either be unexplained until a later date, or given the time to develop on its own instead of being rushed past the player right at the start. It's important in games to show and not tell. Things have more meaning and are more fun when the player encounters them naturally, which brings me to the next problem.

The game's opening sequence is far too long for its own good. It stumbles, is extremely cluttered and awkwardly told with the storyline stopping every two seconds to remind you what menial task Sylvanor has accomplished on his own in big giant silver gaudy fonts. I don't know why Sylvanor didn't just say "a game 100% created by Sylvanor" first and then a second screen crediting all the music used (which is a little sad when you actually see it, as all music is credited to one guy who's name is in big silver letters of a gaudy font, and then several other musicians underneath him which have names too small to read. I'd hate to be a game musician in France.) Not to mention Sylvanor seems to understand the constant name-dropping is annoying and distracts from the story, but he does it anyway. But I digress.

In the end I wound up not caring about the story as it's centered around a bunch of generic looking anime-ish characters with unpronounceable names (even in my inner-mind, which made it impossible to remember anyone's name.) There's too much backstory you have to go through to get to the story. Game designers: STOP DOING THAT! If you want to make a movie then make a movie. There's no reason I couldn't have control of Irzyka or Ufa during their plans for war. Why "show" me what they do when letting me do it would be more fun and enjoyable? This is the core problem of a lot of games where story takes precedence over gameplay. Always remember the player is a part of your world, and is there to inhabit it, not see it. As a designer it's essentially shooting yourself in the foot. Not even Kojima can get away with long cutscenes, so stop it. It easily gets to a point of unnecessary showboating and ego stroking.

In the end Aëdemphia has the most beautiful maps I've seen in an indie RPG, but suffers greatly in every other aspect of game design. I applaud Sylvanor for trying to hard, and having the fortitude to continue to work on his game for so long, but I wonder if the game's long incubation period is what caused all of these pitfalls.

Lessons to be learned from Aëdemphia:

-Use readable fonts. Function over form.
-If you use cinematic techniques study cinematography.
-Keep a consistent art style.
-All proper nouns (people, places and things) should be pronounceable and easy to remember. Cellar Door.
-Show, do not tell.
-Overall, work towards a fluid gameplay experience. Gameplay supersedes all other aspects of production.
-Do NOT have cutscenes over 5 mintues.
-DO NOT have an opening cutscene over 3 minutes.

Those last two are malleable depending on the game I'd say. In the end Sylvanor is far too demanding of his own audience, which leads me to suspect he does not care for the audience as much as he does the story and game he has created. Furthermore his tendency to handhold the player goes too far, and tutorials are overly verbose and long. Sometimes they don't even have to be expressed at all.

And while it may sound like I'm accusing Sylvanor of stealing the backgrounds or something, that is not the case. I think he is the creator of the wonderful backgrounds, but I don't understand why that talent isn't consistent in all aspects of the game art. Why dull characters and vibrant backgrounds?

K', I'm done. :grin:

First of all, thank you ixis, for your lengthly reply.

There's quite a few things I actually agree 100% with you about your review and which I had already mentioned to the author before the demo was released.

But I'm just the translator so, in the end, Sylvanor makes the final decisions.

I'll tell you what, I'll ask him to come over here and reply himself. I think he could shed some light about certain aspects of the game which might seem a bit off putting.

About the hard though: he does makes everything, please just take my word for it.

-Use readable fonts. Function over form.
Agreed.

-If you use cinematic techniques study cinematography.
Didn't strike me as being particularly bad. I enjoyed the cutscenes.

-Keep a consistent art style.
Easier said than done. Considering the sheer size of the game, he would have to redo all of the sprites and I can't begin to imagine how long that would take.

So I agree but I think it would be too time consuming a task.

-All proper nouns (people, places and things) should be pronounceable and easy to remember. Cellar Door.

Good point. I kept the proper nouns as is because I wanted to stick to the original as much as possible but I completely agree with you on this one. Some of the names are needlesssly complicated in my opinion. I think the objective is to give an exotic feel to the game.

-Show, do not tell.

Agreed.

-Overall, work towards a fluid gameplay experience. Gameplay supersedes all other aspects of production.
-Do NOT have cutscenes over 5 mintues.
-DO NOT have an opening cutscene over 3 minutes.

Agreed.

Cutscenes under Five minutes!? What the -

Totally disagree... THERE SHOULD BE NO CUTSCENES AT ALL in a game that has a battle system that terrific!

your game really looks good .Maps are smooth and nice
Can you give me the script that have sound when char 's walking

Any news here?

What a gorgeous game! I find myself returning to the demo, even though I have completed it, just to immerse myself in the world again.

Do we have any new progress on the translation?

Amazing! Simply Amazing! I just can't describe how much I love the tilesets, and not only that it's a wonderfull game! Verry nice. Looks like you took alot of effort in it.

Hey guys, it's been a while.

I just wanted to let you know that the development is on going. I'm trying to give the author a nudge to the translation going once again but to no avail so far. I'm confident that he'll come around however.

The latest modifications:

-Characters now have to eat rations when they travel on the over world.

Here's the latest screens.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/1 ... ca6a19.png[/img]

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/1 ... 2a0b02.png[/img]

All of the items of the game have been drawn (weapons, armors, etc..) That's 519 different drawings for those items.

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/3/1 ... 6b4b19.png[/img]

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/1 ... 2f1115.png[/img]

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/1 ... 2c7919.png[/img]

http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/1 ... 06c50b.png[/img]

Anyway, there's a lot more screens but I just wanted to keep you updated.

All the best.

H.

Hello, I'm King Kadelfek, another french author.

I'm working with Sylvanor, not for Aedemphia, but for the soft (DreaMaker) which can extract all the dialogs from the game, in order to correct, or translate these.
I didn't work on functions for DreaMaker which can make the work of translation easier, beacause Sylvanor tell me nothing about your work.

Sylvanor knew about your work before today's post, I read it.

I know Sylvanor, and he doesn't speak a lot about his game, in fact... -_-"
If he had tell me about your translation, I will have make some arrangements for DreaMaker.

The actual version is designed rather for correction. But it can be used very easily (and it is on use already) for translation.
Sylvanor is using DMK for one year... I hope he was talking about the soft to you... ^_^'

DMK is here : http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=59708.0

--------------------

I'm happy to see a translation of a french project. :)
It's the most known RM project in France.  :D

The 8.5 version (1153 maps) have 105,527 lines of dialogs. You are working alone on the translation ? It's a big work !

I can program functions thanks to your present work will be directly usable for this version. Just tell me if you want it. ;)

A Commercial Quality RM2K game if EVER there was one.

While the character sets may be the weakest point of this game, they certainly aren't much of a hindrance.  The main character, for example, seems very well done.

The chipsets are nice, but used amazingly well to compliment the multitude of panoramic backgrounds.  (Which i was guessing there would have to be - and are.)

Amazing and huge selection of animations.

Great selection of music to make you consistenly feel that you are in some sort of 'fairy world'.

The graphics style is very consistent.  The battle backgrounds ARE well done and match very well with the maps.  The sheer number of pictures boggles the imagination... i cannot imagine (and don't want to try) exactly how much time has been invested into this project.

I shudder to think what the creator could do with RMXP and am left a little dissapointed (for this reason alone) that he is working with rm2k rather than rmxp.  HOWEVER, this is one of the few rm2k games that i will undoubtedly 'go back' to for a bit more play.

The translation isn't perfect and there are some passability issues... but, as far as demos go, this game offers a ridiculous amount of content and playability.

Amazing Job, Keep Up the good work !!!

Hello Sorcer and thank you for your kind words.

The translation isn't perfect and there are some passability issues... but, as far as demos go, this game offers a ridiculous amount of content and playability.

This has been pointed out by a handful of members but unfortunately no one ever gives some examples.

My involvement in this project is the translation. The original version is, at times, quite difficult to translate.

Some French humor, which involves something related to French vocabulary had to changed completey.

The game also has some references to some members of the French community which also had to be removed in the international version.

Anyway, if you have some time, do point out what you consider to be some inaccurate translation. I will then look at the original version and make some corrections if necessary.

Note that I've done some translation for my uni before but this is the first time that I translate fiction. It will take me some practice to translate in a more "artistic" way. My previous translations required some litteral translation so adapting the form the content is rather new to me.

I'll probably retranslate everything for the next demo to make things a bit less two dimensional as far as dialogues are concerned.

We'll be using Dream Maker so it shouldn't take that long to retranslate everything.

All the best,

Hung like a horse.

Update:

The author has just finished some pictures of the different worlds in Aedemphia:

akzalfir.jpg

estarzall.jpg

Some new screens:

aredchambre.png

bateauovar.png

fissure1.png

He also redrew all of the monsters (battlers), 600 drawings in one week.

Here's some samples of the new version:

monstre21-1.png

monstre48-1.PNG

monstre36-1.png

Here's one showing the before and after version:

monstre72-1.PNG

Enjoy!

This is absolutely gorgeous.

I am downloading the demo no, from the looks of it this will surely be a treat.

Thank you for translating and providing it to us English speakers.

:smile:

600 in one week? Is that even humanly possible?

He must have no job (and if thats the case, im glad; we are all better off for it)!

Hung, any news on translation progress? I keep playing the previous demo over and over again to tide myself over...

He must have no job (and if thats the case, im glad; we are all better off for it)!

Actually he's an art student, which, I guess, explains a lot. :)

He's just very efficient at what he's doing and passionate about it, that's the only way I can explain it.

Hung, any news on translation progress? I keep playing the previous demo over and over again to tide myself over...

Well, I know the bugs (numerous) of the first English demo (the one you're playing right now) are being fixed at the moment. Once that's done, my guess is that I'll check the script once again to translate the bits and pieces still in French and retranslate some stuff.

Once that's done, I think we'll probably release the same demo again only this time it will be proper, without bugs and other glitches.

As for the rest of the game, I really can't make any promises. The demo you've played is a fragment of the whole game. I'm starting work next week (in Japan) and I doubt I'll have a lot of time to translate stuff.

I might translate the rest of the game but considering just how epic it is, I would probably expect some financial compensation as the work involved is quite simply mind blowing just like King said:
The 8.5 version (1153 maps) have 105,527 lines of dialogs.

It took months to translate the first demo, it would probably take at least a year to translate all of the text involved.

With him being a student and already paying someone to compose the music of his game, my chances of eventually being paid for this are slim to none. That is, of course, unless we win some contest or we get support from players in the form of donations and the like. Unfortunately, we both know how that goes ;). Besides, I know the author wants this game to remain completely free so getting donations might go against his work ethics (althogh it certainly wouldn't go against mine! ;)).

Considering the quality of this game I personally believe expecting donations would be reasonable but I doubt people will willingly start donating some money for subsequent demos, then again maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Anyhow, I just wanted to keep you guys informed as to what was happening about the English version of Aedemphia.

If this is any compensation however, I'm currently translating a much shorter project from the French Community which I find to be very promising although completely different from this game.

I only received one game crashing error with the last demo. It was when entering a stairway in a house on the southern map of the first town. There was a picture file missing or named wrong.

Aside from that, the game was perfectly playable, and extremely enjoyable.

The karma system was completely broken though (I had thousands of good karma at some point, for no real reason), and the shop system somehow allowed me to buy things while giving me money (I think thats how it worked). Nonetheless, it was very, very enjoyable, and completely submersive.

Authors ideals aside, I think this game is well worth a decent sum of cash for a finished version.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.