Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Aedemphia

Aedemphia: DEMO FINALLY AVAILABLE!

:eek:
I'll make sure to play when I get the time. Just curious, has the author finished the version in his language, or are you doing an english demo for a french demo?

Shit, for some reason, I can't play it. I think it's because it's .rar, but I downloaded this .rar program that's supposed to let me run .rar. But it still won't let me play it.

Grr, frustration. I guess I have to wait until I can find a way to play it. <.<

I got a weird error.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/dadevster/error.jpg[/img]
I really want to play the game, so getting this fixed would be nice. :thumb:

Or maybe it's just me?

Hi, I just downloaded this yesterday, and it worked fine for me.  I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and I'd just like to say what an amazing work of art this is.

I am in awe of the depth of thought that has been put into this; not just the tilesets, but everythings.  The music is phenomenal, and this system is quite impressive.  This game really addresses at least some of the common cliches present in all RPGs, and really is quite amazing.

It is not, however, perfect.  There are some glitches, and the game does run quite sluggishly.

The game seems to have quite a number of examples of this; anywhere in the town where there is a large ornamental tree, the birds fly over some parts and through others, and of course the various places where the player finds him/herself standing where players aught not to stand.

This one isn't so much a glitch; the important pieces of dialog seem to have all been translated, but there are still a number of areas where dialog, items, and signs may not have been translated.

On a similar note, some of the dialog and/or translation seems a bit shaky, but that's not at all unexpected.

One more glitch to report for now:  when I first started the game, and after you are first able to take control of the character, I noticed that the sprite was completely un-animated; using only the basic directional frames, but lacking any leg movement whatsoever.  However, once I'd entered the menu and exited again, the animations seemed to be fine.

I do have to admit that the sprites and face art leave a little to be desired, but they could be far worse, and even so, this game is beautiful.  Once again, I'd like applaud the effort put into this work of art.

Hmmm...I'll try re-downloading, perhaps that will help.

EDIT: Hey, whaddya know, I re-downloaded it and it works now. I haven't gotten that far, but I think the tilesets and graphics are AMAZING. Seriously, a major work of art. However, I'm a bit disappointed with the translation. There were many places with French (although I can speak it) which I'm a bit annoyed by. Maybe you shouldn't release it until EVERYTHING's in English, hmm?

Yeah...I have no idea how he made a custom menu like that in RM2k3 (or RM2k, not sure which) but the story's a little confusing so far. The atmosphere of the first town is fantastic, however. I actually felt cold walking around in it.

Hey there guys,

Thank you for your replies.

There were many places with French (although I can speak it) which I'm a bit annoyed by. Maybe you shouldn't release it until EVERYTHING's in English, hmm?

I am partly responsible for the remaining untranslated text/bugs and I'll tell you why.

We had been working of the English version of Aedemphia for quite a while, probably months as it involves a considerable amount of time. The amount of text to translate is humongous as you can imagine so occasional mistakes were to be expected.

The problem is that both the author and I have somewhat busy lives with other priorities than the translation.

I convinced the author to release the demo as is, thinking there wouldn't be so many bugs or missing bits of translations. This is a first experience for me so I guess I was a little bit too optimistic (which, at the end of the day, is more of strength than a weakness ;)).

I still think I made the right decision however, as otherwise it might've taken a fair bit longer to get a release and I knew a lot of people were waiting to play this.

On the bright side, having you guys playing this allows us to quickly pinpoint bugs and other mistakes, so thank you kindly for that.

So I do apologize for the untranslated bits of french. This will be corrected in the upcoming version along with all the bugs mentioned here (and at other forums).

but the story's a little confusing so far.

Yes, it's a weak point of Aedemphia, I believe.

The problem is that the story of Aedemphia is based on a short story written by the author (actually available in the folder of the demo). The game takes place some time after the timeline in the short story so we had to summarize this in the game.

Hopefully we'll find a way to make the story less confusing, I'll talk about it with the author.

On a similar note, some of the dialog and/or translation seems a bit shaky, but that's not at all unexpected.

Arf! That's quite possible! After translating for 6 hours straigth, I might've cut corner here and then.

This being said, I would appreciate if you could contact me through PM with bits of examples of what you considered shaky so I can compare with the original and make some changes (if I see fit ;)).

So anyhow, it's still a work in progress. I'm glad as to how things are turning out however and I can assure you the next version will be much more polished.

Just curious, has the author finished the version in his language, or are you doing an english demo for a french demo?

Sorry, seems like I overlooked your message.

The french version is still a demo, although a very long one (22+ hours). I wouldn't call it a demo really, more like several completed chapters.

I do have to admit that the sprites and face art leave a little to be desired, but they could be far worse, and even so, this game is beautiful.

Well, you can't say we don't take your comments into consideration!

Here's a brand new facesets for the characters. I personally, believe they look much better.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9400 ... arozo4.png[/img]

I want to make babies with you, seriously. This game is gorgeous. Downloading demo now, I'll edit with some review shit after I play it.

@Mundane:

Please do wait for a while before releasing a review.

I'm currently in the process of fixing the numerous bugs mentioned and I think a review at this point in time wouldn't do the game justice.

I haven't played much yet but I can already say that this game is very impressive and definitely seems like it has it's own universe. My only real criticism so far is that the front is very, very difficult to read...perhaps it's just because of RM2k3's low resolution, but I hope you can find another font that is easier to read.

Also, there seem to already be a few situations where lines of dialogue occur twice, probably due to them being copied and pasted during translation. You may want to go through and look for that sort of thing.

Thank you for your reply, ImmunteEntity.

This demo version is pretty much beta testing so expect plenty more bugs.

I've actually fixed some of the bugs mentioned before but I doubt I will release this version.

We'll have to wait until Demo 2 is released which will take care of the bugs, omitted bits of translations as so on.

Glad you like the game, enjoy!

I noticed that almost all the files in the demo were Uncompressed... Does that mean that we permission to use those uber-cool animations/music's granted that we give credits to everybody?

One more question... all the animations in the folders are created originally by the author of Aedemphia? What I mean is that if I do decide to use them, do I have to give credits to subauthors who made the graphics orginally but they were edited in some way/shape/form by Aedemphia's maker. ~Hope that made some sense...

Don't worry, it does makes sense.

Everything in this game (except for the music) is done by one single guy, Sylvanor.

By everything I mean absolutely everything, so there's no subauthors. ;)

All the best.

Some of the music's don't have a date/author. What about them?
AND
The author that I will give credits to for teh' amazing animations is Sylvanor. Correct? Just making sure...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.