Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[xp/vx] Mouse Window API

Mouse Window API
Authors: Ryex
Version: 2.0
Type: Scripter API for the creation of mouse controllable windows

Introduction

I developed this as part of Remexos, however I decided that it was too good to deprive the community of, as such I asked for permission to release the API to the public. it is the first public script of it's kind so PLEASE credit me if you use it

Features

• Drag-able windows
  • scrollable windows contents
  • Check box control
  • List box control
  • Button control
  • IconBox control
  • IconBox List control
  • Right Click Windows
  • hover functionality
  • data dragging
  • put an icon under the mouse when dragging data
  • all controls can be disabled
  • a window controller that handles all input and allows for easy window updating
  • a control call back system that allows a button to call a method in any currently class when clicked
  • the project comes with two sample windows featuring all the features and a sample scene that replaces the title screen to so how the API works
  • it is simple to create more controls than the ones provides in the mouse window system
  • it would be simple to add a skinning system to the API windows instead of the default black and white
  • the API is full commented

Screenshots

NA

Demo

.7z archive - can be opened with the free, open source program 7-zip
Mediafire

Script

contains only .txt files of the script's parts. full dependencies not included, see demo for all required scripts
Mediafire

Instructions

See Demo Project

Compatibility

This API Requires Blizzard's Mouse Controller and either Custom Controls from Tons of Add-ons, Blizz-ABS or RMX-OS.
It may work with another mouse system out of the box but it might take some editing of the two systems.

Credits and Thanks

• Ryex
  • G_G, for the template of the Check box control, saved me a few hours of work

Author's Notes

This was developed as part of Remexos, please support the project. Any bugs or questions? Ask here.

NOTE: I (the author) do NOT provide support in this thread. I simply don't visit this forum often enough. another scripter may be able to offer help but if you need support from me please go here
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,7224.0.html

One word, man: awesome. I don't think it's anyway compatible with my game, but if I never need a Mouse API, I'll use yours. By the way, I think this would go great with Behemoth's Raycasting Script. This way, you could have a pseudo 3D First Person Shooter, such as Doom, or Wolfenstein.

I take it you tried out the demo? :P

by compatible you meant style right? it just wouldn't fit to have a mouse system?
I totally understand, the mouse doesn't always work with the feel your going for.

by in terms of scripts it will work with anything.

Incredible script. This makes a lot of my improvements to rpgmaker interface useless, well not at 100% because my system has in mind using the joypad...

I will be using the api anyway.

Oh look, an actually interesting script in Script Submission forums... it must be Christmas!
Well, main reason it's interesting is that I used to work on something similar for RMXP, and I'm currently spending a few minutes each year (T_T) on a window framework for Gosu... anyway.

Basically, I like what you got there... more functionality is always welcome, I guess. You Illustrate the features nicely, and you got some neat functionality really. I especially like the checkbox-activated button, which I know isn't the easiest to do (however it's not as hard for RMXP than it is when you - like me - want to control it through text only, I'm afraid :down: ).
What I don't like as much is that it seems to lack perfectionism really... most noticeably, your scrollbar doesn't behave like a OS scrollbar, as in when you move the cursor out of the clickable area while dragging, you'll get some funny results. Those are problems I've seen during the development of my scripts, and it's actually quite easy to come by if you figure out the right method to do it...

Overall, I like what you did there, though 'v2.0' isn't exactly what quite fits it, I think. I hope the generally good feedback will encourage you to improve this. ;)

As for your way of submitting it... this is one of the scripts where visual feedback doesn't hurt really (especially since you got a graphical representation). Also, I don't really see why you made txt-files downloadable... please use the [rgss] tags next time, because I sure as hell don't feel like wasting my time on mediafire for looking at text :crazy: And actually, posting the requirements of your script underlined, but not actually linking them is - despite being funny - pretty hard on anyone who actually wants to grab these.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.