Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Skills Learning System by Charlie Lee (v1.7)

What system would you prefer to decide what skills a character can learn from a given weapon/accesso

• All the skills available for his class, with the learning of skills by leveling up disabled.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • All the skills available for his class at level 99, in order to avoid that he learns the skill by le

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • All the skills defined in the configuration file for each character, identified by IDs.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • All the skills defined in the configuration file for each character, identified by names.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Other (post your suggestion)

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
charlie.lee;303309 said:
With this system you can only learn skills from weapons, not shields, helmets or accessories.

Oh, ok. I hope you can come up with a new version that allows skill learning from all equipments. Nice one, I salute you 8-)

It's a cool system but i don't like it when it replaces the default status menu. I really slightly edited the default to fit in more information.

XP Learner;305005 said:
It's a cool system but i don't like it when it replaces the default status menu. I really slightly edited the default to fit in more information.
Well, there are infinite possible designs for the status menu, I just have chosen one. If you are good with scripts you can modify it at will.

I have a little update. Version 1.1 introduces a bar in the status window to show the progress in learning each skill. I have also added a screen.

charlie.lee;305079 said:
Well, there are infinite possible designs for the status menu, I just have chosen one. If you are good with scripts you can modify it at will.

I have a little update. Version 1.1 introduces a bar in the status window to show the progress in learning each skill. I have also added a screen.

I would if i can figure out what does what. so far i tried to omit some of the function but no go. All i can do is move stuff around and edit a bit. I've have'nt yet reached a point to completly overhaul others scripts to my use.

Updated with version 1.3.
Chars can learn skills from accessories as well now.
This is almost not tested, no time, so please report any bugs.
Bye.

I'm having a problem with the draw actor face, name, class, etc.

When I go to the status menu, it shows the Battle Parameters, equipment, etc. fine, but there is no picture, the actor's name is not there, and for all of my actors, they're showing the same class.

masquerade__;320099 said:
I'm having a problem with the draw actor face, name, class, etc.

When I go to the status menu, it shows the Battle Parameters, equipment, etc. fine, but there is no picture, the actor's name is not there, and for all of my actors, they're showing the same class.

For the picture: make sure you have a Graphics->Face folder with pics named as the actors.
For the name: you miss the font. Just replace "Ballpark" with your preferred font in the script.
For the class: no guess, double-check your database.

I have just spotted a minor issue in version 1.3. Stay tuned for a minor update by tonight.

I'm getting another error. This occurs after the battle is over, after the Gold and Item window, as it transitions back to the map.

Line 629: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'learnings' for nil:NilClass

line 629 is
if @skill_learning_window.learnings.size>0

I really love this script, by the way. Now if I could only get it to work flawlessly.

Any suggestions?

It seems that it misses the definition of the @skill_learning_window.
And that should be line 629 btw...

It works fine in the demo, be sure that you are using the latest version, and you do not have other scripts interfering.

Yeah, it is line 629.

I'll see if it's conflicting with my other scripts.

EDIT: I removed one of my other scripts and it works fine now.

BUUUUTTTT... I'm having another problem.

After a battle, I go to check my Skill Learning Status, and it's not showing any increase in experience. It just stays at 0.
I even changed the necessary experience to see if it was actually changing but not showing it, but it's not. I'm not gaining any experience for the skills.

masquerade__;322507 said:
Charlie? Any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay. Being busy with work and my CTB...
All I can say is to check that other scripts do not overwrite my edited classes.
Try to put the Skill Learning System just above Main, since i used only aliases it should work properly with most other scripts this way...

waby

Hey charlie lee this is to do with the ffx like battle system you made its cool and all that but when i try oput some more animated battlers in it dont work its all kinda complicated so could you somehow give me a guide or something and also if you know could you tell me where to get more animated battlers thnx....

The information you need should all be here.
You'll find the pdf guide and some links to Animated Battlers pages in .ORG at the bottom of the first post.
For my CTB or the Skill System i haven't release any guide other than the included instructions.

charlie.lee;322536 said:
Sorry for the delay. Being busy with work and my CTB...
All I can say is to check that other scripts do not overwrite my edited classes.
Try to put the Skill Learning System just above Main, since i used only aliases it should work properly with most other scripts this way...

Perfect! Gah, I wish I had some knowledge of how scripts work.

Thanks

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.