Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Play Movies!

Play Videos with RMXP

To begin with, I will not claim it's totally my idea. But it wasn't done afaik. I started this yesterday, and I see that someone has already made something similar as I wake up in the morning.

Anyway, this is my version of playing videos with pictures.

How-to

Basically, you have a serie of pictures named Something_0001, Something_0002, Something_0003, etc. They are playing in succession at 20 FPS. Any image filetype is acceptable, although you may want to stick to JPG if you want the filesize to stay within downloadable limit.

It's done using the default event "Show Picture" command. So it's half-event, half-script.

Basically, in a event (Action Button, Parallel Process, it doesn't matter), you first set the video using : prepare(digits, length, filename).
-Digits is the number of characters used to count the frames. For example, Movie001 is 3 digit (0+0+1) while Video_00152 is five digit (0+0+1+5+2).
-Length is the length of the movie in frames.
-Filename is the prefix before the counter. The filename of Movie001..875 would be "Movie" while Video_00001..15212 would be "Video_".

Then you copy the event Loop that is in the demo.

Usability

Since it uses "Show Picture", I doubt there is any compatibility problem, unless there's another script that has a method named "prepare" in the Interpreter class. It can work fullscreen just fine. The pictures can be any size, be played anywhere on the map, support transparency if using PNG's.

It has no performance issue on my computer, although I can't guarantee it will be perfect for anybody.

(Edit : It has been shown that there can be lags on lesser quality computers, but it still shows it can be done.)

As for audio, it will have to be played separately. That isn't hard, just have a ME containing the audio play right before the loop. Extract it using AoA Audio Extractor or whatever software.

Download link - 20mb - Worth the look

No screen shot, a movie is meant to be animated...

Oh, and don't touch the actual animation (grassfield), that's my work.

Nice work. It's still one of my pet projects, but it was thrown on the backburner a while ago. I still have the original framework for it stored around my laptop somewhere. Anyway, good job!

I apologize if it seems I somehow got my idea from yours, i didnt see your old thread, I promise I had no idea =X

Honestly, the idea naturally came to me as I was watching a movie at the theater. I thought well a projection does it, why couldnt RPGMXP? So I asked how such a thing could be done.

Anyway - it featured the same problem that I bumped into with my thread, with the picture just bogging down. of course, i'm using a lame 2004 compaq presario v2000. the model notorious for overheating and slowing down performance. I need to get thermal paste =(.

Anyway, sorry for that change in subject.
Regardless, well put for your script. It seems to do what its meant effectively, but my hunk of scrap called a laptop isnt up for it.

congrats :)

Yeah, you're right. I tried it out on my old computers, and it's laggy (half of the time I get "Script Hanging"), and i'm sure there are even older computers in the community.

Very surprisingly, the speed of the PNG was about the same as the JPG, although the filesize is 10 times bigger. I would expect the computer to take more time loading the image or whatnot. I thought that the size of a frame really mattered.

You could reduce the FPS to 10 but it's really not nice to the eye. Maybe having a small size (like 320x240) and using zoom 200% would help, although I doubt that a little. Maybe that a less detailed video (my thing is detailed to the very little strand of grass) would do better, although I'd prefer it that people don't use this to put a piece of their favorite anime show.

You mentioned also something about cache. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but if it's storing pictures into memory it might take a lot space doesn't it? And what makes it faster then loading from hard drive? (I know not much about these technical details).

Dang.

I, too, used the PNG format. most pictures are about 50kb max, compared to the BMP of 250+. I didnt notice a increase in performance =(.

Cache is like a temporary holding cell for accessing data - it sorta stores most info into the cpu so that it more or less 'brings it up' via recalling its info, instead of loading. its hard to explain, really (that or i'm just bad at it).

But yes, if you get a good sized video, it will bog down the whole cpu to a pretty much halt.

I'm now wondering if there wouldnt be a way to simply place the 'frames' side by side in one single PNG (or other img format) and simply scroll it fast enough to emulate a VHS tape, sorta. I havent gotten around to it, as 1400 imgs is quite a bit to edit and place in just 1.

Any idea if there's a program that can load a bunch of images and save them in one user defined image; side by side?

Photoshop's script, Contact Sheet or ImageMagick's Montage if you know how to use it. But I don't think there is much of a difference between 50 100x20 images then a 100x1000 image.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.