Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] MP Pool Variations

This is actually an idea I had for my current project, but it's not so much an actual necessity as just something cool to add on. I'd like to see the ability to have a single character drawing from multiple MP pools. For example, say we have a White Mage, a Black Mage, and a Red Mage. Because the White Mage uses only White Magic, he'll only have one MP pool (White MP), and likewise for the Black Mage (Black MP). However, the Red Mage uses magic of both types. Instead of using a single MP pool, he'd have two: WMP for his White Magic, and BMP for his Black Magic.

My other idea is just for fun: a communal MP pool, like Mario RPG's Flower Points. In this system, rather than each individual having his own ration of MP to play with, there's a single amount of MP used whenever any party member uses a skill, no matter who it is.

Because of the nature of magic in my RP, both of these scripts combined to make multiple communal MP pools could really add to the strategy of how characters' abilities are developed and who gets put into battle.

I may not use this, so no rush on these. As I said before, just something that'd make for a nice addition.

And this is why I need to use the Search function more often. I hope this'll also work with other battle scripts, because I also wanted Dragon Quest style targetting (as in the ability to target a group of enemies without targetting all of them... I have another request topic up for that). Anyway, I'll definitely as about it. Thanks.

It should work with partial battle systems provided it doesn't overwrite the same methods really..You might need some merging done though to get the script to cooperate

Yeah, I was gonna PM ya to ask about it. I wanted to be sure that's the system I want first, though, as I'm also contemplating a system like FF3, where each character has a number of MP pools exclusive to himself (basically, the spells would end up divided by element instead of by strength). Either way, I'd want it to work with a DQ style spell target system (which seems to be the one thing missing with the Advanced Targeting script, unless I missed something...)

Okay, so I decided that the first method I described (where each character has six MP pools, one per element) would be easier to pull off when it comes to balancing the battle system out. The closest thing I could find to it, though, was Jaberwoky's Old FF MP System script, which has a few problems; it'd display magic using the term "Lv X" rather than element, and because it uses SP cost to determine which pool to draw from, every spell would be set to cost 1 SP from that pool.

The first part would be easy enough to edit by just omitting any parts that alter the way SP is displayed and replacing them with a few lines so the SP cost of abilities that cost 0 are omitted. I can denote element by icons and in spell descriptions. The harder part would be making it so that which pool it uses is determined by reading something other than SP cost. It seems like the best options would either reading a tag typed into the name or description or reading the ability's element ID. The problem with the former is hiding the tag, while the latter has to make the script stop checking after it hits Element ID 006 (since there's 6 elements, and I don't want it to interfere with other scripts that check a skill's element tag). It might also need an edit so that it reads the skill's SP cost and expends that much MP from the ability's respective pool instead of spending exactly 1 MP from the pool.

The script I'm talking about can be found at http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=21666 (the DBS version). If anyone could do this for me, I'd really appreciate it.

*bump*

I also had another idea, which could work well for duplicating FF8's system or for a Mega Man fangame. Each spell would have its own total number of uses, independent from the other spells. For example, if you have Jewel Satellite, Laser Trident, and Tornado Blow, you can assign Jewel Satellit to have 7 uses, Laser Trident to have 48 uses, and Tornado Blow to have 4 uses, and using one of them will not detract from the ability to use the others as an MP Pool could.

Note that this is just an idea, and not really needed for my current project. The one I need the most is the first system I described in the initial post.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.