Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Events moving only through events, not tilesets

Hi~

I'm looking for something simple (not necessarily simple to script, but simple to understand).

The script is so that when a switch is on, events can move through events, but not through tilesets. E.g. when in the scripts, it checks for target tile passability, when the switch is on, it checks if the target tile is an event or tileset, and if it's an event then it moves to that tile. ^^ Like that.~

It's for a Mirror puzzle where you control four characters that move in opposite directions to try and get them in a square in the center of the screen. But when you move them into each other, it messed up the puzzle solution, so they have to move 'through' each other, but not through the blocking tileset tiles.~

Thank you so much! :D

Jason

Awesome Bro

Couldn't you just make a new page on the event, make it "Event touch", and make it through ?

OR if that doesn't work, get the X and Y of the events, and make conditional branches saying if the X and Y of one event are the same as the others, turn through on, so it can walk over the event ?

1. I'm not quite sure what you mean by Event touch? Does that work between two Events when the player is not concerned?

2. Well if the X and Y of two events are the same then they're in the same spot which would only work if they're both on through. =)

Jason

Awesome Bro

Twin Matrix":38zux7e9 said:
1. I'm not quite sure what you mean by Event touch? Does that work between two Events when the player is not concerned?

2. Well if the X and Y of two events are the same then they're in the same spot which would only work if they're both on through. =)

1. Event touch occurs when another event OR the player touches it, Player touch occurs whe only the players touches it.

2. But if one of them are through, they should be able to walk straight over the other event (Thats what through is programmed to do, correct ? Walk over anything)

1. Oh, that's interesting. And disturbing, as I've been using Event Touch for a lot of things, like ladder events. >_> But if Event Touch is turned on, then hasn't the movement already stopped? And how would you check which of the four characters has bumped into someone?

2. But the event is only turned on through, when, like you said, the X and Y are the same, right? But then it's already too late, so to speak, because they bumped into eachother? I don't get the logic here. D:

You say that if the X and Y of two events are the same, through is turned on. But X and Y can never be the same unless one of the two events is on through, which is impossible as then the event could move through the obstacles.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Twin Matrix":85y3l9oc said:
1. Oh, that's interesting. And disturbing, as I've been using Event Touch for a lot of things, like ladder events. >_> But if Event Touch is turned on, then hasn't the movement already stopped? And how would you check which of the four characters has bumped into someone?

2. But the event is only turned on through, when, like you said, the X and Y are the same, right? But then it's already too late, so to speak, because they bumped into eachother? I don't get the logic here. D:

You say that if the X and Y of two events are the same, through is turned on. But X and Y can never be the same unless one of the two events is on through, which is impossible as then the event could move through the obstacles.

Okay, this'll require a little more work, how about;

If the X of Event 1 = X of Event 2 - 1, (So if the X of Event 2 is 12, and the X of Event 1 is 11, it'll turn through on)

You'd need to do +1 and -1 for both x and y.

o.O

Yea..that seems super laggy considering I already have that for all the spots where the characters have to go and where they die. :X A scripter to write a couple of lines so that events pass through events would be so much better.<33 ^^

But I really appreciate your help~

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.