Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Dragon Quest Target System / One Weapon, Multiple Use Animations

Alrighty, we can already target individuals and all enemies/allies, but I'd like a way to target specific groups of enemies the way that some spells in the DQ series do. As an example, let's say I have a group of five enemies: three slimes and two spiders. If my mage casts her Frizz spell, it'll target a single individual, or if she casts Bang, it'll target the slimes and the spiders at the same time. However, her Sizz spell can target either the group of slimes or the group of spiders, but not both. What I want is a way to give her the Sizz spell.

I'm thinking the best way to go about it is to fiddle around with elemental affinities. I could make five versions of each enemy and have each one marked by a different level of elemental resistance. Instead of changing the damage the spell causes, though, the spell will automatically hit every battler with the same level of resistance to the "group target" affinity as the chosen target. This wouldn't need to be done for enemies using group-target spells, since the player's party will all have a different affinity than enemies, and because there won't be any group-target spells aside from offense and negative status. Then again, I'm really rusty with the scripting (been out of it for about two years) and wouldn't have any idea where to start with this. As far as the way the animation would work, it doesn't really matter whether the enemies are hit simultaneously by a single-target animation or if the animation is centered amongst them (although I'd imagine the first would be much easier). I'd rather not have them hit in sequence, but if that's the easiest or only way to do this, I'll work with it.

The second script I'd like is the ability to have a single weapon that uses a different animation depending on who can equip it. For example, the Big Sword can be equipped by Robbie, Bobby, and Little Billy. However, Robbie would be animated with a jumping slash, Bobbie would swing it horizontally, and Little Billy would do a vertical downward slash. I could potentially achieve this by making three different Big Swords identical aside from the Use animation, but what if they're all in the same party? That'll make shopping for Big Swords and keeping them in the inventory kinda screwy.

Again, I have a basic idea of how this could be done. It'd probably require me to make each weapon Use animation correspond with the actor's ID, so I could have the game read the ID of the weapon's user when s/he attacks and play the matching animation over the user. But as I mentioned before, I'm rusty with RGSS to the point that I don't know exactly how this could be done or where I'd stick the script.

If anyone could pick up this request, or at least give me some pointers to get started with it, it'd be greatly appreciated.

*bump again*

I think I can probably figure out the second of these on my own once I find out where in the script battle animations are handled, but I definitely need the first of these. I'm pretty sure it's not one of the options in the Advanced Targeting script. I can probably make due with Golden Sun targeting until then, but it really wouldn't have quite the effect I want...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.