Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Xbox 360 Controller Input

I know that RMXP already has a joypad configuration built into the program (F1) but it only has config for 8 buttons. I was wondering if it were possible to create a script specifically for the 360 controller. Like the keyboard input modules but for a 360 controller.
I've seen mouse input systems too, so it may be possible to do this.
I was thinking along the lines of Zelda-like battle systems which can use numerous amounts of inputs for all the different commands (attack/defend/dash/sneak). Since the 360 controller has analogue controls too would it be possible to read from them also? Slightly push the stick and the player sneaks, push it fully and he walks, push it fully and hold down A and he dashes. Things like the Start/Back buttons for menu/map/HUD display.
The 360 controller is USB controlled (don't know if this is relevant).
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4115/padkx4.jpg[/img]
For anyone not knowing the layout of the pad.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8999/pad2ls4.jpg[/img]
This is the layout from Windows config for the pad.
  1. Left analogue stick
  2. Left/Right Triggers - Left trigger decreases the value, Right trigger increases it.
  3. Right analogue stick X axis
  4. Right analogue stick Y axis
  5. D-Pad directions - 8 directions. Possible for use like Oblivions shortcuts or just movement.
  6. Face Buttons/Analogue stick buttons - Including Start and Back.
I'm hoping someone can make a script for this input system. I think it'll be a good addition to games that have too many controls.
I don't know if SDK will be needed or not, I'd prefer not but if it's required so be it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.