Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Writing convincing characters

I had a break through last night about writing dialogue for NPCs. The trick is to suggest to the players that they actually do stuff while you're away. You can't create the illusion of life when the characters stand in the same place and vomit exposition.
I say "suggest" because you have limited time and resources and an entire world to fill; it's just not practical to show the characters actually doing stuff. The game might not even have an environment to move around in, it might just be characters portraits and background art.

So what you do is begin or end a conversation by having the character tell you what they're up to.
"While you were gone I searched through the archives and..."
"It's almost closing time, I'm locking up after you leave."

It seems so obvious in retrospect. But my problem was that when characters weren't telling the player where to go or what to do, I'd just having them express an opinion or observation. It implies an awareness of their surroundings, but it doesn't suggest that they are active in it.
I've known for years that it's important to ground characters in their environments, but I guess I wasn't taking it far enough.

That sounds like a really nice trick, to be honest. Though I can imagine, depending on execution, players may detect a pattern.
Plus with something like that, I'd imagine you would want to go the whole hog with it. Like with the shop closing time one, what if the player ends the shopkeeper conversation, then speaks to them again? Would they repeat it exactly the same?

Non-important NPCs would reasonably repeat the same thing. From experience I think that's a good thing. Smashing buttons too fast, it would be frustrating if I missed the tail end of what they said and I can't get them to repeat it. That annoyed me in Xenoverse, if you're wearing character specific equipment they might comment on it, but only the first time you talk to them. You'd have to leave the area and come back to get them to repeat it.

I imagine you're not going to repeat story related cutscenes. But it's nice to have "ask about" options to give you the foot notes version.
But even with that, it's not a bad idea to lead with something like
King: The delegates will be arriving shortly and I need to prepare.

I guess it's probably not a good idea to always make it seem like you're interrupting them. "I'm busy, what is it?"

And remember you're not always "talking to" npc, some times you're just "listening in".
Guy: (This is it. Wait for her to turn around then say something nice.)
Gal: (That creep is back. Maybe he'll go away if I don't turn around.)

Xhukari":26ix3xpj said:
That sounds like a really nice trick, to be honest. Though I can imagine, depending on execution, players may detect a pattern.
Plus with something like that, I'd imagine you would want to go the whole hog with it batterie solaire. Like with the shop closing time one, what if the player ends the shopkeeper conversation, then speaks to them again? Would they repeat it exactly the same?

I am also of the same opinion, I also had the same imagination .... although !!

Very useful advice :thumb: I used to do this all the time when running RPG campaigns.
Other little tricks are giving them various random greetings/assorted phrases, or make them comment on what's happening to the world based on the plot. There's nothing more depressing than NPCs minding their own business while THE BLACK CASTLE OF TE EVIL OVERLORD IS FLOATING IN THE SKY or whatever. But this always means more dialogue, and it's not always feasible : \

One small thing that I really like is when you can go to say goodbye to all the characters before the end of the game (The Sea Will Claim Everything did this), or when you can talk to them AFTER the final battle and they will thank you/acknowledge what happened. It's such a small thing, but can really make you feel like you did something important and actually changed the lives of all those people.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.