Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

World/Town Menu Map

lmkris

http://rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=49893.0
^ Jirbytaylor made an -awesome- world map screen that I'd love to use... but I'm working with XP, and it's for VX.  :/  I've been paddling along trying to work on it myself as best as I could, and the furthest I've managed to get is getting a map to appear on the screen from a "City Map" selection on the menu, and having a parallel process event in the city that tracks the character's X and Y coordinates... but...  :crazy:  I'm boggled on how to take those coordinates and make a little icon appear on the map to indicate where the character is.  So I guess this isn't really a script request, so if I've put this in the wrong board, sorry!  The city itself is fairly large, running at 252x270 tiles total, since that's where most of the game takes place.  That's why I need this map to have an indicator, cause otherwise, even I'd get lost, and I built it.  :lol:

Thanks for any and all help, I really appreciate it  :smile:

[EDIT] Oh, I just realized that Jirbytaylor's is more like the Pokemon maps rather than, like... uh... Everquest 2, if that example means anything.  Hmm, is it even possible, then, to do one that'd be specific to the city and not the region?

[EDIT2]  *lol*  Nevermind, I played around with it and figured out a way to do it.  Feel free to lock/delete/etc this thread, sorry...  :lol:

poccil

Sponsor

The following code is an example of getting the player's coordinates in a script:
Code:
#  get the X coordinate
x = $game_player.x
#  get the Y coordinate
y = $game_player.y
# get the ID of this map
mapID = $game_map.map_id
Those three variables identify the exact position of the player within the game.  You can use the map ID to determine the kind of map to show on the city map screen, and you can use the X and Y coordinates to accurately place a dot where the player is.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.