Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[WIP] Del's Template

Del

Hi everybody!
Sorry for my basic english. ':|

I'm creating a template for my game, and I wanna know, how to improve it.
My objectives for the creation of the template are:
1 - Around 4 times bigger than RTP;
2 - Non excessive detailed, a little "cartoon-ish" maybe...;
3 - The template have to fit with this:
http://del.linkspt.com/psreen.png[/img]
(Cough, cough, the screen is WIP :x)

At this time I've made this:

http://del.linkspt.com/DelTemplate.png[/img]

But, I want to know your opinions, to improve the template before I continuing the other columns and rows.
Please help me.

(Really sorry for the english I'm just 13 and I'm not english). :S

I can see how you've designed the eyes but they look at first glance more like the white part is the eyball and the blue part is blue eyeshadow (looks kind alike a whore). You need to work on making them more defined as the colored part of the eye.

Also templates this size work best with 8 if not more frames. I suggest doing that if you are capable.

I think you should move the nipples in... Though I'm not sure how this would help if he's clothed(I hope he'll be clothed!) As for the eyes... Make the white parts at the top right of each eye, that way it looks like the shine is coming from one place, and make the blue gradually come from dark to light, not white to dark to light... Get what I mean?

Del

Prexus said:
I can see how you've designed the eyes but they look at first glance more like the white part is the eyball and the blue part is blue eyeshadow (looks kind alike a whore). You need to work on making them more defined as the colored part of the eye.
Ok, I've changed the eye, it's better now?

Prexus said:
Also templates this size work best with 8 if not more frames. I suggest doing that if you are capable.

Yeah, I know it, but design characters in 8 frames would be to difficult to sprite. :S

Um, Des...templates don't need to be that detailed.

@Del: It's fine, but it won't work with anything but the TS in your screen. The shading is really unnecessary, but I suppose it'll work for recolors and such.

ryujijitei said:

Don't post ever again. Especially about spriting.

I'd explain myself but I really don't fucking feel like it. You're wasting my time with shithole replies like that.

ryujijitei":2fj6elp0 said:

Despain":2fj6elp0 said:

I'd explain myself but I really don't fucking feel like it. You're wasting my time with shithole replies like that.

K, let me rephrase what ryujijitei was attempting to say but couldn't quite pull it off.

"Des...templates of that size need to be very detailed, and unfortunately as it currently is, the entire thing is very plain and pillowy (pillowshaded). It looks very plastic and lacks in the reality department."

The best advice I could give to you regarding this template is to look at some other base templates, compare shading patterns and attempt to provide a more detailed appearance to the sprite.

Despain":2wvnqt4o said:

Flaming, as usual.

@Wings: Yeah, that's what I meant, except you forgot one thing: you don't need the privies on a template. Sure, if you're making a hentai game or something, but other than that it's just pointless.

ryujijitei said:
Flaming, as usual.

Can you please point out EXACTLY where I'm flaming? Really, I see a huge problem in this community. I might have to make a thread about what is and what isn't flaming.

@Wings: Yeah, that's what I meant, except you forgot one thing: you don't need the privies on a template. Sure, if you're making a hentai game or something, but other than that it's just pointless.

I never said "lol draw a penis". I said that it needs a crotch. Want an example?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7048/crotch4ez.png[/img]

Look- the best and most popular templates on this site. They ALL HAVE CROTCHES.

Why? It provides a base, and support for the rest of the body. It also adds the three-dimensional look and feel, as well as helps define the legs from the body. It's an ANATOMICAL TRUTH. My legs don't connect as an inverted V, no matter if I fucking cover them up with pants or not.

When will people finally learn that The Despain is ALWAYS right?

That has to be the single, most hilarious picture and remark I have ever seen in a forum. You are my hero, des.

Yes, he needs a crotch, the eyes are a little better, he doesn't look like his kitten just got eaten by alf, but try and either move his head and neck up, or body down, as he looks a little deformed. Coming together, though, you'll have a template soon enough.

His feet are too small to support him, he's in a really unnatural pose, he's still got some really funky elbows, he's still pillow-shaded, and the perspective is conflicting (ie. angled view of neck vs straight on view of feet).

Hehe. I'm with Despain there - you have conflicting perspectives. The dude is side-view, as is the monitor, while the desk is very much more, what's the word, bird's eye view? I'd lower his crotch a little, angle it so we're seeing more of his head (it's why RTP sprite templates tend to have big bald heads, to remind people to cover that with an appropriate hair view rather than just flat side view hair). His feet look too small because of the perspective thing, I suspect.

But it does look like it's coming along nicely, you're not too far off :)

I think the hands are clenched into fists, so the thumbs are actually facing the right way.

Despain was right about the crotch, but wrong about calling someone's reply a shithole reply not being borderline flaming. Even if he is oh so good at what he does. Like drawing circles around crotches.

Best... resource... ever. ^_^

*huge grin*

Then again it could just be that we, the rest of the world, are just freaking pansies, and that's not Despain's fault!

Scribblette said:
...but wrong about calling someone's reply a shithole reply not being borderline flaming.

Borderline flaming isn't flaming. ;)

Think about it. I was insulting what was said, not the member himself.

But the thumbs are going in the right direction- the hands are just poorly drawn, that's all.

Ah, I see it now. Yer... Reminds me of a ken doll on roids' rubbed in olive oil. Make him less shiny, and decide on a light source...

Despain":1xsr9263 said:
The Despain is ALWAYS right?

Can't argue with him there. I mean he did start the first cult that worshipped a rooster, and later turned their praise to an ant.

@template
I see why Barbie broke up with him...
His elbows are very awkward. I also think his stance could be a bit better.

Sorry if this is a necrobump, but I would like to give my 2 pence on this:

1. The hands are a bit too small. I myself have learnt that the reason why my drawings looked so awkward was because my hands on my characters were too small. It's like you too a humanly porportioned character and enlargened the head. The hands need to be larger to fit the head and the feet.

2. The crotch. You got the V shape done well, but the crotch you drew will only be good for female characters, and even then it's not completely correct. "How to draw Anime and Manga Vol 1" teaches that the legs never connect together, and are always seperated by the crotch (both male and female, females being less obvious). the crotch needs to be resting between the legs rather than above them (you can do this by having the legs join the crotch from the sides rather than the bottom). Also, anime male crotches are more square (this helps when it comes to detailed clothing).

3. You have used mild pillow shading (when you only pilloshade the edges, not the whole fo the surface) on this sprite, making it look flat. Try observing other sprites to see how they have been shaded, or even try using a basic 3D program like Poser 4 to reference shadows on a human figure. You need to make the figure look more rounded.

4. Your character has moobs (man-boobs). You've defined them too much with your shading. Make the shading more subtle towards the center. Once again, observe other sprites for reference.

Now, after you concentrate on these, I suggest concentrating on his pose (no-one stands like that, even in anime).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.