Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[WIP][CH]Forté Valor

Forté Valor, a blue haired, blue tunic with gold trim wearing straight-swordsman.
http://beyond-thy-grave.com/images/ForteValor.png[/img]
I now have the left, right and front walking sprites done, just one more to do, the back. I think its an alright custom mod.
I took the sprite of Fighter03 and changed the hair color, shrunk the eyes, and then made his entire attire from scratch. Tell me what you think, I'd really like to know peoples opinions. :D

FYI, a Straight Swordsman in my game is a swordsman who uses european(sp?) style swords, like the generic long swords or short sword. There is a curve Swordsman also who uses a wakizashi(japanese short sword) and a katana(japanese long sword). The wakizashi is a short katana, if you didn't make the connection, either.

NexS

yeah, as above... although there is a little too much blue for my liking...

---
what the hell does IMO mean.....?

Thank you for the opinions, and IMO means "In My Opinion". I didn't really shade the tunic bottom because it's wired flat, thus why it sticks out like that. Think Kingdom Hearts' Sephiroth, how his trench coat sticks outwards, like its stuck out with wire. Thats what this guy's tunic is like. And I based the sprite off of a sprite from RPG Maker 2003, that goes with Rico face-sets.
Yes, it's all blue, too.

Nin

Make the colors less striking. They're way too saturated to fit with the RTP style. Basically what I'm saying is that the RTP has more of a dull color to it, and so should this sprite.

And of course, shading, but that's been said before. But reading what you said about the trench coat sticking outwards, it still needs to be shaded. Not being a spriter myself I don't know how to acheive that effect, but I'm positive there is a way to use shading to increase the effect. The way it is now it just looks incomplete and ugly, and not shading it is the lazy way out. ;)

Also, instead of doing the checkered pixel method for a shadow, just make it a flat dark purple-ish color and then set the transparency to 50% through the resource importer in RMXP.

Yo im sorry but you need to read tutorials on shading and how to shade. picking one color and adding some dots at random points is not conciderd shading. look at the rtp and other sprites you will notice that they pick a light source and use multiple shades of color to create a sense of realism for their sprites. there is topic that is stickied in this forum that has lots of tutorials for when it comes to spriting especially shading i recomend you look at it.

Now I know that the styles are different but the shading lesson is still the same

See Ccoa's sprite is very well shadded see the differnt colors used to make the shading evident, its not just lights and darks its saturation and contrasting of colors that make shading look good

Compare
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/ ... hading.png[/IMG]

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.