Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Wii Auto-Update - Security concerns

For anyone who doesn't know, the Wii auto-update system works like this: When you turn off your Wii, it doesn't turn off completely; instead, it goes into a semi-sleep mode that still connects to the Internet. While the Wii is "off", it automatically downloads and installs updates sent by Nintendo. Rather than spending time waiting for a slow download, not playing games, you could go to bed one night, and wake up to find a new "present" in one of your games, such as a weapon, character, mech, map, and so on. I like the idea, and think it is really cool.

However, I have one major concern about the security of the system. How would they stop hackers from compromising the system? How much damage could a hacker do if he/she sliced into one of Nintendo's servers, and sent an unauthorized "update", such as a virus, a naughty video, or the goatse picture? A virus could ruin many consoles and/or games, and the latter two (especially the third) could scar countless children (as well as teens and adults) for life.

One idea for keeping the system secure is to encrypt updates with a special code, and make the Wii unable to install any updates that do not have said code. This could be forther boosted by making it so that no single Nintendo employee knows the entire code, sort of like what banks do with their vault codes. Post your thoughts on the Wii auto-update and ideas on how to make it more sceure.

The updates would most likely all be pulled from the same server or database (or whatever) to prevent major security problems like you said. This way someone would have to get a malicious update onto Nintendo's Connect24 service in order for it to do any harm. Of course, there could be an entirely different structure for accessing and downloading updates. But if it were to ever become a problem, I'm sure you could just unplug your Wii from its power outlet to completely turn it off.

How much damage could a hacker do if he/she sliced into one of Nintendo's servers, and sent an unauthorized "update", such as a virus, a naughty video, or the goatse picture?

I dunno, if you ask me it'd be pretty awesome if the Goatse image suddenly replace the Wii logo when I turn on the system.

Despain said:
I dunno, if you ask me it'd be pretty awesome if the Goatse image suddenly replace the Wii logo when I turn on the system.
Or a screamer? Or tubgirl? Or a mutilated corpse? OR MAN-FAYE?!

Windows XP automatically downloads and installs updates by default and so far there's never been a hacker-related problem (afaik anyway). Also, Nintendo could write-protect backup boot software within the hardware and provide a recovery disk in case something goes wrong. That's pretty likely if updates are so common that they're done automatically. Messing with console firmware is serious business!

Honestly, if nintendo would allow something like that that happen..they shouldn't invest in doing auto-updates or making Wii online, because that is one SERIOUS flaw in security for a company to release lol >.<

Well, there's not much to gain from sending virus's to a Wii. It'll be like sending a virus into a Gameboy. Nothing is gained. XBOX's, I understand, but that's only cause your credit card info is sent in order to use XBOX Live (I believe, I haven't even considered XB Live yet, as I only have Halo 1 and Elder Scrolls 3), but there's nothing to gain other then make a lotta people REAL angry. Plus, if this happens, I'm sure Nintendo will be more then obliged to replace it. Plus, Wii's are gonna be the cheapest systems on the market. If all the hacker wanted was to cause chaos, hack a PS3 while it's online. That'll cost a lot of money :P

Well they can't stop people from disconnecting from the internet. So its not really a problem. Anyone who thinks its a problem can disconnect after they're done playing.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.