Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What to do about gameplay?

Hey guys, I have had this idea for a game for like two years now and all I have so far is the introduction because I don't have enough of the game planned to move forward.

I have all of my story business down and sorted out, all my characters and some plot twists. All I need to do for this game is figure out what to do for gameplay. I don't want it to be a traditional run around and suddenly get caught in battles and leveling up and gaining EXP. I want more of a real-time battle system, but something simple (and easy to adjust and configure, because I can't script for shit) to fit the story and innocence of the main character (see "Plot"). I'm not even sure I want there to be a lot of battles because I want monsters to be an unusual thing, and the gameplay I imagine to have more puzzles than fights--you'll understand once I tell you the story.

Plot

A man is led by an apparition to an ancient city called Tumultus. He tries to restore the city because the ghost persuades him throughout the game. As he is restoring and exploring this city, he discovers more and more about it such as the people that lived there and their culture, as well as its dangers...

So gameplay should feel more navigational and have room for variation. I'm open to any ideas because I'm totally stumped on how to do this.

Here's a screenie to, I guess, get a feeling of what kind of game this is to help with ideas.

TumultusMap-1.png

You could try and be tomb-raider-y. That involved realms of exploration and a few battles with guns. The battles were seamlessly a part of the maps though and involved some skill at least. A scaled down ABS I guess, with less enemies but more skill and strategy.

This sounds like a Metroid style of progression would work beautifully.

Since, at the beginning, there isn't much in terms of danger and activity. He could wander through the castle, very empty and alone. Eventually finding some sort of power system, or something that causes some of the restless beasts to stir. He progresses then backwards through the same area, now with speckles of life and light yet stern danger around every corner.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.